The Home Depot Reviews in Bloomington, IL | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 510 reviews)

• "The hourly pay for full time employees" (in 910 reviews)

1. "It's a fast slow job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn new things every day life hacks perfect job or a college student or retired citizens

Cons

It's a family type of company

2. "Normal, IL Home Depot Review"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Normal, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some of the nicest co workers. Pay was good for a student.

Cons

Management was terrible, as a head cashier you open and close the store. A manager is "supposed" to help and supervise you in the process. I had one assitant manager that I closed with very frequently that would stay in the break room for hours until closing. Probably the laziest worker in the entire store and he was a manager. They schedule you outside of your availability. As a full time student working part time, I had a scheduling conflict just about every week. Our store was super understaffed especially in the front end department. If someone were to call off you would automatically be short handed and potentially miss or be late on a scheduled break.

Also didn't help that this is most likely the most dead store on Veterans, there are times where you will not see a customer for hours, and management gets angry when they see you standing their wondering what to do and they'll come up with some task that is not in your job description to do.

Advice to Management

Get managers who stay on the floor and help other associates manage and deal with customers. They schedule you outside of your availability. As a full time student working part time, I had a scheduling conflict just about every week. Our store was super understaffed especially in the front end department. If someone were to call off you would automatically be short handed. Pay more attention your scheduling.

3. "Depends on location"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Bloomington, IL

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Home depot is a great place to work with great management and team work depending on where you work. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

No stable hours, and unreliable team mates.

Advice to Management

Promote from within!!!

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Lead Generator in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Generator in Normal, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They know how to treat their employees, with respect and fairness. Training is very detailed and complete. You are not just thrown onto the floor unprepared. The customer comes first as it should be, without customers(happy customers)you have no business.

Cons

I can't wear my Chicago Bears cap, other than that no cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it will get noticed by everyone in our community.

The Home Depot Response

Feb 19, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More

5. "Great place to work in retail"

Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Normal, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is very progressive in how it incentives work. Employees participate in profit sharing and stores a regionally grouped to provide support for regional-specific needs. Company does a good job of promoting within and management was well trained to handle the day to day needs.

Cons

Difficult inventory challenges. Management seems overworked and the electronic training is burdensome.

Advice to Management

Incorporate more hands-on training. Most departments require some level of experience (flooring, plumbing, paint) and the hands-on in-person training is more valuable than the electronic training. Regional specific leadership also seemed to have a lot of turnover.

The Home Depot Response

Nov 13, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

Showing 5 of 19,121 reviews