The Home Depot Reviews in Boise, ID | Glassdoor

3.3
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 215 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 787 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 497 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 893 reviews)

1. "Flooring"

Former Employee - Floor in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Floor in Boise, ID

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Swing shift hours can be hard

Advice to Management

Get ride of the sales goals and the weekly staff goals

The Home Depot Response

Aug 16, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

2. "Order Fulfillment Associate"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helps pay for college. The other associates are what make the environment pleasant to work in.

Cons

Probably one of the more intense jobs you can have at Home Depot. 8 hour shifts can easily result in a 8-12 mile walk, so you'll need good shoes!

The Home Depot Response

Sep 5, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Our nearly 300,000 associates share The Home Depot’s “orange-blooded” culture, which encourages inclusion, passion and respect both within the company and extending to all... More

3. "Price changer"

Former Employee - Pricing Specialist in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Pricing Specialist in Boise, ID

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, self managing. Pleasant working conditions.

Cons

No raises insurance not to good

Advice to Management

Support the workers who do their jobs and go beyond what is required.

"They were a Good Employer Overall"

Former Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule around school
    co-workers were awesome

Cons

unable to move up

5. "Boise Home Depot (Milwaukee Location)"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

There was nothing positive about working at the Home Depot in Boise, ID.

Cons

- Unclear communication and direction from management.

- Passive/aggressive work environment from management.

- Low pay.

- Home Depot's culture "The Orange Life" is a lie and joke.

Advice to Management

Fire the store manager (Jeff Grooms) and his abusive department head (John).

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours
    Success sharing

Cons

- Poor management
    - Bad pay
    - No employee discount
    -Not a 'grass roots company'
    -Minimal vacation

Advice to Management

Actually respect lower associates

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at the Home Depot for eight years while I continue my education towards a computer science degree. I worked on the merchandising execution team and enjoyed the work. The Monday through Friday 6 AM to 1:30 PM schedule was perfect .

Cons

The pay isn't great for new hires but it's better than most retail. The District Execution Manager is a little shortsighted and judgemental making it hard for you to get ahead unless you're on his golden list. Luckily, he's not around much.

Advice to Management

Better pay = better employees. Also, one person in a place of power can run off your best employees.

"Don't question the corporate Monster or get stepped on"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Good people at the associate level

Cons

Management doesn't care about you as a person.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun crew to work with! Flexible schedule and profit sharing twice a year.

Cons

No room for growth. . . I'm a single mom who just can't work from 6am to 11pm 7 days a week. I'll never be able to go full-time, because I can't open up my availability to work anytime. Not a family friendly employer.

Advice to Management

Single moms are valuable employees and live off of their wages. Receiving 16 hour work weeks are devistating to people who rely on their wages to buy food, pay bills, and maybe want to take their children to go do something fun on occasion.

10. "Disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a great associate support structure as far as the homer fund is concerned, associated all chip in, and when someone is going through a rough time that fund can help pay for hospital bills or just plain hardship assistance.
    My fellow associates are the biggest pro I have, most of them are the nicest, most caring, and helpful people I have met, and I am proud to call them my friends, as well as co-workers

Cons

The store has very little regard for safety, people get far too comfortable driving the equipment willy-nilly, which results in lots of collisions. We just received a few new lift trucks at our store and they already are totally scratched, chipped, and dented just as bad as the previous trucks. The training program isn't enough for some people to actually get the hang of the truck. Even seasoned associates, who have been driving for a surplus of 2 years, still hit the racking and drag the butt-end of the truck across it, causing damage to the truck, as well as the racking, most commonly along the bottoms if the uprights from the outriggers on the narrow-aisle reach truck.
    This store, as well as many others as I understand from talking with the bird relocators, has a major problem with pidgeons, and many other birds infesting the outside garden department, it is so bad that we have had to write off whole pallets of merchandise, and there is almost always about two inches of pidgeon left-overs (crap, and nests) on top of the pallets of block. This in itself is a problem for customers, who tell me constantly that they are just going to leave and go to Lowe's, because it is disgusting, and it is a healt h hazard for employees who have to work in the sludge all day and night pigeons carry many diseases, and can cause mesothelioma, which people commonly get from exposure to asbestos
    as a "licensed" lift truck operator I am constantly called upon to work many different things all across the store, this isn't the problem, I don't mind helping fellow associates, my problem is that everywhere I go there are safety issues all over, pallets put on uprights, pallets with wrap torn open unsafely, and finally there was a time I had to quickly pull a pallet down because it had been deliberately put up unsafely, there was a pallet tag put on it with a name, and it had ONE loop of wrap around the center of a stack of lawn mowers 5 layers high, while the requirement, as I was taught, was three times around the pallet to secure the merchandise to its base, and then a half overlap all the way to the top. However, even though I was taught this, I have been told numerous times that I could "just wrap it around the bottom, it will be good enough." When we had a safety inspection from corporate, the day before was wild with literally EVERYONE rushing to fix, or hide all of the safety issues, and violations of the SOP's.
    Final con has to do with asset protection, and is my shortest issue, people constantly leave gates unlocked throughout the day.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a closer eye kept on the stores for safety problems, there needs to be more thorough training steps in order to be licensed on the equipment, and a pay raise needs to set a higher standard of work for associates, someone who is paid 15$ an hour is going to have a much higher work ethic than someone who is paid 9$.

Showing 16 of 18,587 reviews