The Home Depot Reviews in Chattanooga, TN | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

The Home Depot Chattanooga Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2019

4.0
The Home Depot CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
  1. "Home Depot"

Current Employee - Hardware Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees and management make this a friendly environment to work in. Advancement in the company can come quickly. Management really wants to see you succeed, and they do whatever they can to help the individual employee. Those who are going through tough times will be taken care of by the company, and there are monetary programs in place to make sure this happens. The company also participates in profit sharing.

Cons

Shifts range from four hours to nine hours, and almost all that time will be spent on your feet walking around on concrete floors.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I have been working for the company for 10 months now and have loved it!

The Home Depot2015-07-23
  2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, you get to know the returning customers. Flexible hours.

Cons

It would help to recognize employees more consistently. Make sure they feel value.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the bottom up philosophy. This is essential in hourly wage positions.

The Home Depot2019-03-04
  3. "home depot , a good place to work"

Current Employee - Tennessee in Cleveland, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

home depot is a friendly place to work, good benefits, such as insurance,earned sick days, vacation pay, twice yearly share of profits bonus, monthly cake for birthdays in that month., frequent catered lunches as bonus for achieved goals in credit card and sales goals, and for other special things, and sometimes just for no reason at all. advancement in the company is favored and encouraged, .awards for good... customer service , good starting wage .good ideas are always wellcome and appreciated . understanding when days off are necessary.

Cons

no set schedule usually, lpen until ten oclock in the summer . open at 6 am . standing on concrete floors.

Advice to Management

more recognition of good work is needed. more homer awards given. a word of praise for job well done goes a long way for employee satisfaction.

The Home Depot2019-01-15
  4. "Special Service desk"

Customer Service Associate in Cleveland, TN

I worked at The Home Depot for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and I was mostly left alone and entrusted to do my job.

Cons

Management didn't have your back for any situation; customer is always right. I had a customer keep touching me and I asked him to stop and I only talked to him when needed. He asked for a manager and I was told I should have been nicer cause I came off rude.

Advice to Management

Remember your cashiers take a lot of crap from customers that you don't see.

The Home Depot2016-12-19

"There is a reason for the high turn over...."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting and helping people with their home improvement projects. Working with other associates who are eager to help the customer. Learning the pros and cons of the products that HD sells.

Cons

First and foremost is the pay. Minimum wage. Training is poor with the on-the-job training even poorer. Dealing with customers who are rude and demand your attention immediately, even if your helping another customer at the time. Requested time off hard to get.

Advice to Management

If you really want to keep good associates, you need to offer them more pay. Your “Success Sharing” is not really meaningful to most associates.

The Home Depot2015-08-25
  6. "Great work environment"

Cashier in Fort Oglethorpe, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and understanding. The head cashiers and managers, all the way up to store manager are helpful and easy to talk to. They want you to succeed and do what they can to motivate you and acknowledge you for your work.

Cons

Base pay is low and raises are only given yearly. Scheduling is unpredictable and it's hard to get extra hours. Weekends off are rare even in the slow season.

Advice to Management

Offer more full time positions and give more substantial raises to employees that work hard. I feel like this company loses a lot of awesome people simply because they can't support themselves with this job.

The Home Depot2014-12-20
  7. "Fair and Open to Advancement"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Fort Oglethorpe, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advancement opportunities commensurate with attitude and work ethic. CEO stays in touch with management, supervisors and employees using weekly and monthly video training opportunities. Training is continuous and safety is stressed. Co-workers are generally friendly and customer service is stressed.

Cons

Health care act negatively affected new hire opportunities for full-time work. Health benefits so-so. Work/Life scheduling can be difficult for families. Politics with district and store management especially during times of internal change can create strife/dissention if not handle properly.

The Home Depot2014-09-09

"I love working at The Home Depot"

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

They reward you for good work by using "Homer Awards". If you've ever seen the patches that employees wear, that's what those are. There are different levels that you achieve and get monetary rewards for doing a good job. They also give "success sharing" which, depending on how well your store does in sales, is a bonus given to all employees for making sales plan. Not too many retailers give bonuses to part time... employees or full time at that! Great environment and you're learning life skills. Each day is different and you're always learning!

Cons

Concrete floors are hard on your body but nothing a few insoles won't fix!

Advice to Management

Love the fact that I can move up through the company!

The Home Depot2014-08-06
  9. "Home Depot in Ft.. O. GA"

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Fort Oglethorpe, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Associates are friendly. Choice of a 30 minute lunch or hour lunch. Paid holidays,vacation and sick days,two 15 minute breaks. Can change departments when positions are open.

Cons

Long hours standing,rude customers, smart phone not working,not enough people scheduled in some departments to many in others and no set shifts for full time associates means less time for your family. Associates staying on long breaks while other associates not getting a break. No overtime.

Advice to Management

Treat associates fairly and encourage them. Enforce rules. Set shifts for full time associates.

The Home Depot2012-12-26
  10. "Home Depot is sufficient as a part-time employer for college students."

Sales Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Compensation exceeds average retail establishment compensation.

Cons

Poor communication channels. Physically strenuous work. Management less than enthusiastic about helping, motivating, and relating to employees.

Advice to Management

Attempt to utilize different management styles regarding different employees.

The Home Depot2012-01-28