The Home Depot Reviews in Columbia, MO | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 879 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Management in Columbia, MO
    Former Intern - Management in Columbia, MO

I worked at The Home Depot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the atmosphere and management always fixed things quickly. Company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Physically demanding. Customers can be grouchy sometimes. Summer hours can get hot and sweaty. Lots of heavy lifting

"Hopefully the worst job I will ever have."

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Columbia, MO

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a year and I honestly have nothing good to say, other than I gained experience here to get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

The store was understaffed every day. I was hired as a cashier, but I found myself working in EVERY department attempting to google customer questions to try to help them in some way. Almost every customer told me I was the only helpful person working there, and I had no knowledge of home improvement. Of the people who did work there, all of them hated their jobs and were not helpful. Many of them admitted that they would hide in order to not do their job. The managers micromanage everything and were incredibly unhelpful to both customers and myself. I was in charge of the cashiers, and literally RAN across the store trying to help everybody at once. I found myself working more than 40 hours a week almost every week, but they refused to give me full-time benefits. I would work up to 14-16 hours on some days and most days I would never get a break (even to go to the bathroom). I almost fainted several times from hunger and fatigue. I am a young female, and I worked myself very hard and I feel that they took advantage of that.

Advice to Management

If management has not changed, I would advise to treat your employees with better care and ensure that they get breaks when they need them.

3. "D25 Supervisor"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Operational Control opportunities of department to make own within reasonable parameters.

Cons

Low FTE roles that allows for growth

Advice to Management

Team interviewing and hiring input. Scheduling input. Associate Hours forecast needs adjustment to provide growth opportunity.

"Stupidity has completely taken over"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The job is simple
    -Weekends off
    -Some good management

Cons

-Upper management is absolutely terrible - they care nothing for employees and have unrealistic expectations. They expect you to do perfect work in a time frame that is simply unattainable. It's a constant "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of environment. If you do the work to the quality that they expect then you're criticized for going too slow. However, if you achieve the speed that they expect then you will be in trouble for a lack of quality because their expectations are simply ridiculous.
    -The relationship between the MET team and store is non-existent. The store expects MET members to do everything for them but offers absolutely no help in return.

Advice to Management

-Take a look at what you're asking of your employee's before moving forward. Are your expectations realistic? No? Then you should probably come up with a different strategy.

May 21, 2014 – Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and... More

5. "It served it's purpose"

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits, success sharing, 401K, tuition reimbursement, co-workers, connections made with customers, learn a lot about home improvement

Cons

Not all customers are good customers, on the job training, though basic, is not comprehensive, sometimes leaving employees feeling stupid

Sep 19, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is customer service.

6. "best job ive ever had"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere with a great company that takes care of employees and continues to out perform its competitors

Cons

typical retail... long hours at any time throughout the week. Very rarely a set schedule. Pay is decent for retail but becoming an assistant manager is where the $ is

Advice to Management

keep on keepin on

Sep 5, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Store associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s retail network. We appreciate your feedback.

"Poor management, but fair job"

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Columbia, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better pay than most retail jobs, great job and flexibility for college students, relaxed dress code

Cons

Store I work at has terrible management skills, bad at keeping up appropriate staff levels, scheduling issues are common, difficult to advance in career

Advice to Management

Be more prompt with hiring and not leaving current employees to run the store shorthanded. (Major problem at my store.) It would be helpful to ensure schedules don't change without notification.

8. "I bleed orange"

Current Employee - Garden Associate in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Garden Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible with schedule. I am a college student and every semester my schedule changes and they are happy to work around that.

Cons

They will hire just about anyone for sale associates and many of them are incompetent and difficult to work with

Advice to Management

Hire more knowledgeable employees

9. "A very easy job with flexible hours."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Pros

Very flexible, many different types of job opportunities, job is not stressful and very easy going, great for part time work--

Cons

Scheduling changes every week and must request a month out to get off, pay not the best, some managers are incompetent but most are effective.

Advice to Management

I would recommend more feedback and better communication to all levels of the organization. Be more fair to all employees.

10. "Home Depot is a great place to work, if you are surrounded by the correct people."

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbia, MO

Pros

* Better pay than if you worked at other retailers
    * More opportunity for advancement
    * Easy to transfer to stores if moving

Cons

* Some workers are lazy
    * Favorites with management
    * bad about pay raises
    * unfavorable working conditions for cashiers in garden

Advice to Management

Nothing too bad... the cons are the same as if you worked anywhere else. I love my job at home depot and see myself working there for many years to come. Thank god we have Frank Blake in here now making customers the number one priority as it should be.

Showing 10 of 17,818 reviews