The Home Depot Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 215 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 787 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 497 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 893 reviews)

1. "Easy job with nice perks"

Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Easy job
    Decent bonuses if your store does well, especially for full-timers
    You learn a lot

Cons

Common in retail, sometimes staff is short
    You could come in late or not come in at all, the penalty is the same

The Home Depot Response

May 28, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a... More

2. "Love the job, don't like the store politics in this location"

Current Employee - Customer Service Desk Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Desk Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am retired and work to supplement my income. It provides security in a regular paycheck

Cons

To many people who have been employed there for a while control the politics with too many games and gossip about other employees. No policy is followed, it depends on who is the manager for the day whether they will override your decision to follow policy in any instance. I am seeking other employment in a more civil environment with structure.

Advice to Management

Follow policy and don't make the employees look like they don't know the procedures and policy which allows the customers to continue to be disrespectful in dealing with the associate.

3. "store leadership sets the pace on whether this great company lives up to what it should be"

Current Employee - Department Head in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Department Head in Columbia, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time associates get great benefits and time off gets better once you hit two years with company (total of 16 day PTO) not including several holidays. Tuition reimbursement is a major plus but you need to figure out on your own how to take advantage of it the same is true with employee discounted stock purchasing program.

Cons

I have seen some great leaders at the home depot but most of them for me were at the district level or at other stores. Self serving store managers can ruin a stores culture, it starts with giving favors by hiring an employee’s friend or relative then next thing you know you have these cells of laziness that cover each other’s butts and steel time. If you are a manager in the store trying to intervene in these situations be aware of the fact that these lazy groupies will call the aware-line on you and tell lies in an attempt to get you off their backs.

Advice to Management

Be fair and support one another at the store level. You can’t play favorites and approve the "in-crowds" time off request and deny others if you expect to keep hard working and talented employees. The valuable associates don’t have time to hang out in the break room all day making buddy with managers and supervisors because they are diligently helping customers.
    When I was promoted in this company I knew my boss was worthless when he told me “being promoted has its benefits because you don’t have to work as hard those below you” call me old fashion but anyone being paid more or in a leadership role should have the intestinal fortitude to lead by example and bring value to the company. My advice to management is to foster an enviornment condusive to what this great company really is!

Showing 3 of 18,589 reviews