The Home Depot Reviews in Commack, NY | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

"Millwork Specialist"

Current Employee - Millwork Specialist in Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Millwork Specialist in Commack, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, job security, financially strong company, friendly work enviroment. The associates all seem to work well together

Cons

Pay raises and schedule. Associates who work in smaller depts. get overlooked. For depts that have a small staff the associates get more late shifts and rarely get off on weekends..

Advice to Management

Hire more people so associates don't have to cover several depts.

The Home Depot Response

Nov 26, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

2. "Cashier interview. A+"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Commack, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very customer oriented and want cashiers to provide the best customer service. I applied online and they got back to me within a week. I had 3 interviews, one over the phone, one with the Front End Supervisor, and the last one with the Store Manager. During the interview you just need to think what is best for the customer not the company itself.

Cons

They sometimes have trouble scheduling cashiers and cashier supervisors. If a cashier or a supervisor cannot make it and you cannot find someone to show up for them, you will have to work until someone shows up.

The Home Depot Response

Nov 12, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to customer service.

"Kitchen Designer"

Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Commack, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dealing with pleasant customers, ones who show an honest appreciation for my knowledge and guidance.

Cons

The misunderstanding of most of the managers of our company, especially on the higher end as to how sales should and must be made.

Advice to Management

Kitchen design sales are not in any way an impulse purchase, such as a tool or a few gallons of paint. These customers do not forget they have an "open quote" out there. When an associate is required to follow up with the customer every two days only antagonizes the client. Notes that must be followed up according to the KPI standards are in no way realistic with the average customer.

"Worst employment experience to date"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Commack, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting some really nice, genuine people who unfortunately get treated just as badly as you do -- the only difference is that some people have skills to get the hell out of there while others have no choice but to continue to be exploited

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE. I repeat, HORRIBLE. Home Depot corporate preaches about the upside-down pyramid -- that each time someone advances in the company it is their job to HELP and develop those under them. This could NOT be farther from the truth. There is no development and certainly no help at any level. The pay is insulting and raises are even more insulting -- even for high performing employees (I was was one). The manager of my particular store was so disconnected with the associates he didn't even know people's names or how long they had worked at the store. His expectations were not at all in line with what was realistic and the general morale at the store was poor most if not all of the time. Employee recognition and rewards were almost non-existent and the few that took place were far from genuine. This place was hell.

Advice to Management

Engage and respect your employees and most of all HELP THEM. Reward employees for how hard they work. Listen to concerns and comments and give feedback. Get rid of employees and management that don't participate in these behaviors on a regular basis.

"Good people, bad technology."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Commack, NY

Pros

If you have to work in retail, Home Depot is the place to work. They treat their people like people.

Cons

Full time employees face bizarre hours in most cases. The IT side features byzantine technology that mostly dates from the '80's, which can make communicating and doing your job fairly difficult, and the IT guys really have no connection to or communication with their user base. There is a ton of data out there that the stores are dying for, but we really might as well not have computers at all, because in most cases the people who need the information will never have access to it, usually because nobody can even imagine that someone could write a simple script to extract that piece of information and put it in a report of some kind.

Advice to Management

It's the year 2008! Your IT people are in 1998, your computers are in 1988, and the IT people do not work for or with the people who are making the money that pays the bills. FIX IT!

Showing 5 of 16,237 reviews