The Home Depot Customer Service Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 215 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 790 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 501 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 895 reviews)

1. "I loved this job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great people, family atmosphere

Cons

Standing for long hours occasionally

Advice to Management

nothing, I love HD

"Good for short term."

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Homer Fund is a great program, great co workers, flexible scheduling.

Cons

Was once a company that valued it's employees, now it's all about dollar signs.
    Hours are cut on a continual basis despite the store being #1 in the district. The message that you're just a number is very clear.
    The store running on a skeleton crew is the norm.
    Management is hit or miss, some are great while others are inept.
    Most employees do not last a year.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and they will care for the customer.

"Service Desk Associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Return Desk Associate in Pineville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Return Desk Associate in Pineville, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really love the people I work with. The managers are great, my co-workers are nice and helpful. My general manager is the most helpful manager I have ever worked with, he is never in the office he is ALWAYS on the floor!! The pay is good too, I get $11 an hour. Good for being a student. Benefits are amazing also.

Cons

Cons include the hours. In order to be full time, you MUST have open availability. No exceptions. So I had to work part-time. But, they schedule so weird so I don't get that many hours (at my store, all stores are different). It can get frustrating watching people steal, because we aren't allowed to stop shop-lifters. They schedule only one person to open and to close and you're by yourself for hours. It can get so busy and backed up, it is stressful at times. If you can't lift heavy don't work here because you have to lift a LOT and you have to be on your feet constantly. Also. we basically have to return everything. Someone can walk in without a receipt, a product that was clearly used, and return it because we have "Hassle" free returning. People take advantage of us.

Advice to Management

I suggest scheduling more people. People will get more hours, but also help around the store will be better. And be more strict about the return policy. And also, hire an asset protection guy so he can tackle them in the parking lot. Thanks.

"A great experience and a not-so-great experience."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family Atmosphere, Feedback on your performance.

Cons

Not all stores created equal.

"Nice working reality, very bad management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An excellent store in customer service. Kind colleagues, available to help you. In this shop you work hard, there is a good environment. Serious store. Exceptional customer service, with exceptional people behind the desk.

Cons

Bad direction.
    1-When I left the store I gave two weeks' notice, with the premise that I could use the store as a professional reference, but when I did it and my new employer called for references, they refused to give any information. Really incorrect and unethical behavior. I left the store because they promised me a full time position for months but they never gave to me and after a while I understand they were lying to me and I decide to look for another job.
    2- The store manager interviewed my husband and after he did not call back, when I asked for an answer he invented so many excuses to justify the fact that he could not hire him just because he did not speak a good English. But you could clearly read on his face that he was only frightened by a complaint for discrimination.

Advice to Management

Do not make fun of people, sooner or later a complaint arrives

6. "Love It"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet different people everyday, your managers definitely have your back and look out for your best interest. I have been working at the customer service desk and every now and then you get a crazy customer here and there but besides that I love it.

Cons

I don't really have any cons against the company but i do wish the computer system was more user friendly. ESVS makes me feel like I work in IT but besides that no complaints!

7. "Customer service/returns desk associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Return Desk Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Return Desk Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Great family atmosphere. The managers and staff get along very well. There is mutual respect. Some of the department heads really go out of their way to assist the staff which means a lot.

Cons

Low Salaries. Poor equipment. Poor scheduling. As a part-time person I thought I would be working 4 hours a day. Instead, my hours are very random and I would work up to 28 - 30 hours a week or sometimes only 12 hours.

Advice to Management

Get better technology for registers. Offer scheduled curbside pickup. Stop accepting everything back for returns. Other Home Depots tell customers to come to our store because our management accepts everything.

8. "Customer service desk!!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow associates are great. Most very helpful. Seems very family oriented.

Cons

Terrible training and along with that just thrown out to the wolves. Then often put down for not knowing things. Understaffed, scheduled second week by myself to work the service desk and returns with not being trained at the desk... Everyone starting at the same pay rate is insane. Customer service desk is very stressful and VERY underpaid.

Advice to Management

Better TRAINING before being sent out to flounder... Have had several customers commenting back “shame on The Home Depot” Fairer compensation based on your department not just a pay EVERY new employee gets.

9. "customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing coworkers
    time will fly

Cons

labor job depending on department
    no employee discount

"Customer Service Desk"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service Representative/Musician in Asheville, NC

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was faster paced so the time went by faster and my department head was a very nice lady. Everyone one that worked at the service desk with me was just wonderful.

Cons

The management was an absolute joke. They were completely hands off, everytime I did see them doing anything is was talking to each other. They never bothered to learn anything about important departments and it showed. Nobody that worked at that location at that particular time thought the management was anything but embarrassing and frustrating. The company made a lot of claims that I never found to be true either. But its a huge, Mega corporation so its about as expected.

Advice to Management

Be more hands on. Not in a way that intimidates your employees but offer to help and be a part of the store instead of hide in the back doing what i always found to be nothing.