The Home Depot Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is a little hard to maintain (in 393 reviews)

• they should strive on hiring more adults to full time (in 707 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the people a lot.

Cons

Most people are worked part time.

2. "Job Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company will work with you on hours you want to work. Will reward good work and management is always available if you have a concern or idea. Lots of social interactions between employees.

Cons

Different supervisors Giving work assignments that conflict with each other. Ddepartment managers giving task then an assistant manager giving other task, and the manager giving another. Reminds me of the army.

Advice to Management

Follow a chain of command and hold people accountable for their actions. Only have 1 person giving orders to an employee.

"Crappy Job No Matter The Position"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management Pay, Stocks, Bonus, Charity programs

Cons

Extreme low pay for the associates interacting with the customers. Home depot has a vision to provide better customer service than anyone else. That's laughable. These folks making $10 per hour to take people's s**t don't give a damn about the brand. Home Depot's installation structure creates unnecessary stress to the employees having to deal with disgruntled installation customers. Home Depot can be a great career, Just understand there will be stressful interactions with customers in all areas on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Pay the associates that interact with customers. Doesn't take much $$$ to build loyalty.

"Low paying, non-commissioned sales postion"

Current Employee - PASA in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PASA in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent work environment.

Cons

You will be asked to manage your stores largest commercial accounts, some that spend millions of dollars a year for poverty level pay. My store has 2 of the top 5 PASA's in the district. Their sales where over 1-1/4 million dollars and they are making between $12-$14 per hour. For their hard work and massive sales numbers they were given an apron with their name embroidered.

Advice to Management

offer a commision structure for your PASA's

6. "overall not bad."

Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Raised the starting salary to 10.00+Opportunity for advancement. Decent benefits for f/t . If your p/t
    very Good schedule flexibility.

Cons

As all retail can be tireing especially if you are a full timer. Scheduling for a full timer can be
    Frustrating if your short handed.

Advice to Management

Keep working on higher salaries and benefits, etc etc, that's what regular working folks depend on. Schedule flexibility is key.

7. "Hardware Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Arvada, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Company offers a good amount of benefits for part-time employees. Good work/life balance - very flexible schedules

Cons

Even though compensation is higher than most competitors it still seems low for what is expected

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.This is one of the best management teams I have ever encountered

8. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great family environment in the store, enjoyed the many contacts with customers. Good opportunity to learn retail business. Provided training was very good.

Cons

There is a wall between hourly associates and salaried managers that is tough to work around. When policy changes come down from Corporate, there are limited opportunities for hourly experienced associates to give feed back. The philosophy of "My way or the highway" is the rule in too many stores. Also, pay is tough - barely kept up with inflation.

Advice to Management

Not enough associates know that they can wrangle with ideas in the Warehouse online. Also, your pay for hourly associates does not help with paying the mortgage.

"Senior management is garbage."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glendale, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glendale, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

They're pretty flexible when working with school schedules. The work/ life balance is easily manageable here. There are a ton of good people to work with at this location.

Cons

They definitely need some help as far as store manager, and assistant store managers. They are pretty selfish and uncurtious to their own people. You get written up for looking at someone wrong. Also got our Christmas party taken away so the store could save a bit of money.the corporation world is ruining good people there.

Advice to Management

My advice would be for a regional manager, and it would be to replace store manager. It's all gone down hill since the change.

10. "Good people bad management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce City, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce City, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great associates to work with. All co workers are really friendly.

Cons

Management is very self centered and doesn't recognize anything good the associates do and only focus on the bad.

11. "Good stop gap job"

I worked at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

I worked at Home Depot for a year as a sales associate (Plumbing) while finishing school. I am a good sales associate, and I have excellent customer service skills, and I was not interested in advancement, so it was a cushy gig for me. I showed up on time every shift I was scheduled for and gave them a full 8 hours of work. They let me do my job, once they discovered I was completely competent at it (after the first shift on the floor), and I was willing to do OP and reach for my department, all the gnarly stuff. There were good and bad associates at my store, but mostly good because a new store manager took care of most of the bad. I showed up for every shift, I did any job requested, I found plenty of work to do all of the time (customer service, in stock, store appearance). I sometimes slacked on the last two when there were opportunities on the first. I did mess up for about two weeks when I had some family issues, but management made sure this was not in my file (no tardies, not missed shifts) or noted for counseling, because I covered the aforementioned basics so well for so long.

Home Depot and I worked well together. I went to work, they let me do my job. They never micromanaged me, a few attempts were easily thwarted. I knew what I was doing, and I got it done. Customers loved me. I handled customer problems without management, but when I needed a manager, they just signed off on whatever I had decided.

I got full time because I performed well and was reliable and I applied for it. They accommodated my school schedule.

Cons

They play favorites. You have to make personal relationships, talk football, shopping or whatever with the management (ASMs, DHs) in order to get promoted or get ahead. I made friends, treated fellow employees and management with respect, I knew the names of every lot attendant, every janitor we ever had, all the MET team, and the night recovery crew, and I got excellent recommendations, and lots of Homer Awards and Customer Service All Store, but I'm not going to spend on-the-clock hours talking football if there is a one customer in the store.

The DHs can sometimes be the biggest slackers. You should never be standing there chatting with another DH about whether or not you will rent this new apartment, get another dog, take your son to the newest movie on Saturday if there are customers in the store. I might have stayed for a DH position if I hadn't been required to create personal relationships and if I had had more respect for my DH.

Advice to Management

Get your ASMs and SMs to seriously identify top associates with outstanding skills and cultivate a line to promotion with those employees. There were a number of good associates and DHs that left my store because they didn't want to do the deeply personally relating required. Every employee is NOT easily replaced with just another one down the line. I had serious knowledge that I used to deal with customers, this took me a long time to learn.

Train your DHs better and expect more of them. I had some lazy DHs. They awarded each other silly Homer Awards, one DH was even humiliated by one he got. They spent too much time socializing with each other. On the sales floor. During Power Hours. While customers were trying to get some help.

Train managers to look at their employees differently, so they see what they can offer the company, not what they can offer as someone to hang out with.

Showing 146 of 13,609 reviews