The Home Depot Reviews in Des Moines, IA | Glassdoor

Found 6 reviews

2.5
The Home Depot CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
  1. "I am very satisfied with my experiences working at The Home Depot."

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

They have created a culture where associates feel respected, their contributions are valued and they have equal access to growth and development opportunities.

Cons

It;s a large company with multiple layers of management and approval. Communication from the top down is excellent on "big picture" issues such as company wide initiatives, market share and seasonal goals. However they fall short communicating rational and timeline for changes to processes and priorities.

Advice to Management

The retail business is fast paced and sometimes refereed to as controlled chaos. Front line associates are your best tools for building a profitable company. Initiate and focus communication efforts to the associate level sooner. Just because store management knows a new program or change is coming doesn't mean the associates are necessarily informed. Use the technology you have in place and expand access through the...

The Home Depot2012-02-17

"Going downhill"

Former Employee - Cashier in Des Moines, IA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom in appearance, so long as it was kept reasonable. Store not kept open late at night. Good pay.

Cons

Poor management choices. Constant threats about pushing credit and even devolving into counselling over not mentioning the survey, even if the customer only bought a soda. Employees who didn't pull their own weight or even flat out refused to do their jobs were never reprimanded, but employees who consistently went above and beyond were punished for things they had no control over. Constantly understaffed, yet people...

Advice to Management

Stop hiring more people who are extremely unqualified for the job and start giving the people that need more hours time on the schedule. Punishing people for not getting credit cards which is something out of our hands is demoralizing. Actually work with your employees and get to know them, instead of treating them all the same and take accountability.

The Home Depot2017-07-15

"Could be better and appreciated more"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Is the customers you get build relationships with and I work with a great team! And love my hrs!

Cons

You get treated differently if you don't kiss butt around there nor do they appreciate some those workers abilities to getting Home Depot to where they are today! They just don't appreciate you enough!

Advice to Management

Recognize your team players cause we work hard to satisfy our customers and make Home Depot the best place to shop with great customer services and making sure aisles and bays are shoppable!

The Home Depot2017-06-08
  4. "department Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Not enough pay and management nerds to be improved

Advice to Management

Actually help your associates

The Home Depot2015-07-06

July 7, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback and will share this information with others.

5. "associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Good pay descent benefits can have as many hours as u want and they promote from with in and the hours are good

Cons

Management leaves alot to be desired if u have alot of years in then they seem to get rid of you big turn over

Advice to Management

learn to treat your employees better give them better pay and you might have less turnover lack of respect from management to associates

The Home Depot2015-05-15

June 9, 2015Client Partner

6. "non interested folks"

Former Employee - Check Out in Des Moines, IA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

nice employees in front desk

Cons

folks who stay hidden in the back

Advice to Management

train more and keep them professional

The Home Depot2014-07-01

July 8, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and innovative ways of serving our customers and improving the business.

Found 6 reviews