The Home Depot Reviews in Downers Grove, IL | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

1. "Excellent for part time employment during school, not as great as a long term option."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're the front line for helping customers find what they need, and you're encouraged to go out of your way to assist them. Definitely a place where you feel valuable provided you are actually doing your job.

Cons

A lot of potential to hurt yourself if you don't learn how to properly lift heavy objects. I still have back pain months after leaving. Also, I was not a fan of the overly corporate atmosphere behind the scenes, but that might appeal to people looking to go further up the management chain.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring awesome managers, find more ways to allow dedicated employees to move up the chain / increase their earnings.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 31, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all... More

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. The interview process is also easy. And there is lots of training. But still that is all that I can say about the positive aspect of working for Home Depot.

Cons

Poor treatment of employees. Poor Pay. Negative environment. Half of the employees run away from actual work there so those who are competent have to make up for all the other employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and be available to help them. Do not go back on your word just because a customer through a fit, it makes you, the store and your employees look bad.

3. "The big box"

Former Employee - Stocker in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Stocker in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap, but smells like a factory of stinky cheese and full of dirt and detritus . Good for customers, bad for workers

Cons

I put it all up above, but also menial pay and soul sucking work hours and job duties but it pays a few bills once in awhile

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Very decieving"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will work with you on time off.

Cons

Told me they were hiring me full time, was given part time.
    Over work you
    Not always the brightest co workers

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees. Hire people based on their work ethic (everyone who was hired full time had a horrible work ethic and would put the brunt of the work on temps and part time workers).

"Good for short term not for long term"

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Sick/personal/bereavement pay is available after 90 days, 40 hours of vacation pay after 1 year, 80 hours after 3 years
    Charity programs to help internal employees facing rough times financially
    'Success sharing' pays out employees twice a year a bonus if the store goes over a certain amount in sales

Cons

Cashiers are all hired starting at minimum wage, every other department including lot associates start at a standard $10 an hour
    Raises are yearly and unless you are being promoted in position it's less than $0.40 cents
    Full time employees cannot have set schedules and must have completely open availability
    Starting out as cashier is INCREDIBLY difficult to move other departments
    Full time cashiers positions are incredibly difficult to find and moving to full time does not get a raise either.
    Really a good job if you're a student or have another job that's your primary income, Home Depot will suck you in and you won't go much of anywhere in the company if you're a cashier for longer than a year.

Advice to Management

If you want to get more people invested in the company, treat the cashiers just like the sales associates and have them start at the same pay and give them the same opportunities. It's downright embarrassing for me as a full time head cashier of three years to say that I make less money than the guy who just started last week pulling carts in the lot part time.

6. "Basic minimum wage job, responsibilities and expectations match."

Former Employee - Outdoor Garden in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Outdoor Garden in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take into account days off that you need, offer water and breaks when working outside, overtime available, plan picnics and treats for holidays (popsicles on 4th of july)

Cons

little room for promotion, low level of satisfaction in work

Advice to Management

You do a good job of understanding the minimum wage worker and what to expect of them

7. "Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with at the store that I was at. Great medical benefits. A company that cares about their employees for the most part.

Cons

Management needs to get their head out of their ass when it comes to promoting good people. Hard to get anywhere in the company.

Advice to Management

Look at all the people that apply for promotions from inside the company, not just outside.

8. "Boring at times, but okay usually."

Former Employee - Cashier in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with and found everyone helpful and friendly with a good teamwork attitude. If I had stayed I could have advanced and learn more jobs.

Cons

I had terrible hours and couldn't get out of working weekends. I felt pressured to work days I didnt want to work.

Advice to Management

Don't change people's hours without asking.

Showing 8 of 16,218 reviews