The Home Depot Reviews in Durham, NC | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 510 reviews)

• "The hourly pay for full time employees" (in 910 reviews)

1. "All workers"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have amazing benefits, and they will work with you on your availability.

Cons

They are very very strict on how they want things done, even if you did it correctly.

2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - HDE Sc in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - HDE Sc in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The brand is incredible for an outside sales rep everyone knows who you are. Never have to worry about someone questioning your integrity.

Cons

Because it is outside sales, leads are king, the company runs a shoestring budget for marketing, ask yourself did you know home depot installs for customers

Advice to Management

Spend more money marketing installed services and reap the rewards. Or not, and oay for it with consistent turnover. This would be the best job in the world with a little more support.

3. "Home Depot Jobs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Scheduled days off during the week. Able to change work availability when needed. Relatively fast-paced work environment.

Cons

Customers are sometimes rude and difficult to please but still must be treated courteously. Store management does not necessarily support employees during these exchanges with customers.

Advice to Management

Store manager should be given flexibility to work with employee strengths for training, recognition, reward, and promotion without having to always follow corporate dictated guidelines. Take the time to get to know employees on a personal level.

4. "Parttime employee"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

They tell us that you are available for upgraded training on all levels .

Cons

Although, I have been told that you can get training on all levels, I have been there 9 months and can not seem to gain any time scheduled to gain more flexible or upgraded training to move up to an higher level . They tend to schedule me on about every weekend or Sunday that God sends instead of giving me any of them off.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees no matter what position they start at upward mobility to upgrade their skills so that they can receive higher wages an better skills to move up within the company. Nevertheless, allow them access to not to have to work every Sunday since everyone should be able to go to Church , to participate in their preferred Religious or Christian beliefs.

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customer service company that cares about their employees. Homer awards. Scheduling is good to work with.

Cons

It's normal but good employees are taking advantage of by assigning more responsibility without increase in pay.
    Success sharing is not computed well. There should be consideration for weather or economy. We are down 100,00 below plan because of the weather so no bonus possible. Last quarter we made up 800,000 in the last month and still no bonus because we were below plan for the quarter.. No employee discount!

Advice to Management

Read the reviews.

6. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Durham, NC

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people are very nice

Cons

the hours are sometimes spotty

Jan 5, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

"I am proud to wear the orange apron."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work, great customer service, and respect for other associates is rewarded.
    It is typically a fun work environment.
    Consistently high quality, relevant training

Cons

Having to swallow your pride and accept hurtful, demeaning words from a customer can be trying.
    The pay is low for the knowledge, skills, and hard work of a high performing associate.

Advice to Management

We need more third shift workers/teams.

Jul 9, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More

"Working on the orange plantation."

Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work schedules are set a couple weeks in advance and seldom subject to changes. Opportunities to train up for more advanced positions are offered, although difficult to squeeze in. Answering shopper's questions and solving their little puzzles is great fun and on those occasions when management hears words of praise, the feedback is nice.

Cons

The main drawback to the job is the poor wages. Half the people working there receive assistance to make ends meet. The company eases its payroll burden at the taxpayer's expense while claiming community enrichment as a core value.

When Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the first federal minimum wage law in 1933 he said," No business which depends for its existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country."

The corporate response that these wages are competitive with comparable retailers is a specious sort of rhetorical fallacy called a Tu Quoque argument. "If we didn't do it then someone else would." Truth told, if the company didn't bolster the dividends payed to shareholders at the apron's expense, they would attract and keep a better crew while achieving a public relations victory over the other guys.

Advice to Management

Discontinue the policy that forbids tasking during certain hours.

To require greater emphasis on customer assistance at specific times is fine. To banish freight carts from the sales floor at such times makes sense, but absolutely no tasking allowed for hours on end leaves the store looking bad and conveys a message to the sales staff that management has no confidence in their judgement.

Jun 4, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

9. "Everyone Should Do Their Fair Share"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work schedule, up-to-date training, promotions within the company.

Cons

Individuals not doing their share (workload).

Advice to Management

Delegate, but make sure that everyone carries their weight.

Dec 24, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback.

10. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Durham, NC

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work is flexible for me and that is the most important thing for a single person

Cons

too much fun. Everyday was great. Was sorry I had to move

Advice to Management

keep it up

Sep 24, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience while employed at The Home Depot.

Showing 12 of 19,113 reviews