The Home Depot Reviews in Edison, NJ | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 216 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 795 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 504 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 899 reviews)

"what you should know"

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Edison, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

THE BOTTOM LINE: many disappointment here & there. company has a lot of potential.a lot of product quality isn't the greatest; neither is the pay & expectation for all the people who work there. a lot of managers i got the privilege to work with & see were super awesome & I really mean it. I grew by watching them.

what is truly like to work for a home depot retail store. no sugar-coating.

How the hiring works~
    First you apply online to an available positions that a store has. After that, within 3 weeks I revived a phone call from the general hiring office to perform a short phone interview. Next comes a call from the local HR to set up an interview date. You go there & Interview with both HR rep & an assistant store manager. They ask you for your availability,tell you what they have & ask behavior & customer questions. You have to do a drug-test & a background check. you must be 18 to work there. a starting entering position is not much harder than if you worked at MacDonald & or any other basic retail job. You don't have to know much or have related experience.

I'v been working for The Home Depot now for 3 years. Stared as a Part-time Sales associate in Hardware & got a full-time position by my second year.

Cons

*My starting salary was $10/hr & that never changed. By my 3rd year I was still making 10.61/hr dis regardless off how much effort I put into it or how well my reviews were. Which is a ridculous joke. company only gives a max of about 25cent race with an outstanding review. by my 3rd year I was unhappy with the way things were, there was barely any growth in positions or knowledge among associates, policies were never explained & managers were the only ones who knew the business.

*it's sad, here i worked just about any holiday you can think of except for Christmas. ~ the 4th of july, black-friday, spring-black friday, memorial day, half of thanksgiving, the 1st of january, halloween, etc-- & I was only a dedicated hard working sales associate. management has little way out of this.

*The "success sharing" pay checks they brag so much about are nothing but a trick to fool innocent minds about rewarding your hard work. it's just panzi-scam and another way of robbing your hard work. 1st year i got a success check of about $40. maximum i got was about $200 on my 3rd year an another $250 for being one of the 2015 "Best customer service associate award". Success sharing is given every half /6months& keep in mind that they rather keep you a minimum wage-no raise and brag about giving you that little check.

*managers work a ridiculous amount of hours, about 10 & 1/2 a day.

Advice to Management

will continue with it later.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 3, 2016 – Senior Manager, Social Media

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

2. "ism"

Current Employee - Brance Installation Manager in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Brance Installation Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LOL a biweekly pay check

Cons

75 hour work week, no days off travel daily, paperwork that is monumental and told to do it with a smile, and don't forget a thing, u will get written up

Advice to Management

you can not micro manage a construction industry

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many at the Edison New Jersey location.

Cons

Poor Work Assessment by Managers, Poor Scheduling of work hours, Favoritism toward some employees, current policies need to be re-assess to encompass this day and age trends of the modern business world and this will create a better work atmosphere, working under unsafe conditions in several departments, being scheduled with little or no help in various heavy lift situations.

Advice to Management

Try to understand what employees are saying instead of do it my way or the highway! Seems that this specific location has a set of rules that don't apply to all employees

4. "good place to learn but move on"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Edison, NJ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT ppl...
    I learned a lot from all departments since i was in receiving

Cons

very low pay ( probably good job for a college student) no room to actually go anywhere. Management wasn't looking to engage us younger employees...

Advice to Management

have your supervisors try to engage employee and help those employee grow..

The Home Depot Response

Sep 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

Showing 4 of 18,797 reviews