The Home Depot Reviews in Gaithersburg, MD | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

"Millwork"

Former Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Lots of hours an great environment.

Cons

Every job has there lazy employes so does they.

"Train Your Management Staff Better"

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the staff that helps you get the job done.

Cons

Work schedules that have no logic an example a lot of staff schedule on days you have less work and less staff schedule when you have a lot of work. The constant head games insulting your intelligence. Forget about the weekends it seems to be everyone for themselves.

Advice to Management

Train Your Management Staff Better. Stay true to the values we hear during orientation.

3. "Kitchen Bath and Plumbing Associate"

Current Employee - Plumbing Associate and Kitchen Bath Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heath Insurance, pay to much for it. Guarantee 40hrs.

Cons

No set schedule, very low wages, moral is very low. Management is never on the same page. They give you duties that is impossible to finish in one shift. Never says you doing great job, when I get more positive feedback from customers then anyone in the store. I received the highest award the company. Takes at lest three years to move to next level.

Advice to Management

Give employees set schedules, promote exceling employees faster. Make the employees feel, not just a number.

4. "Head Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Family Atmosphere, Great Pay, Good Benefits

Cons

This Company makes you feel like you have to sale there Credit Cards, Management constantly comes to you letting you know how many they need for the week.

Advice to Management

Allow your Customers to decide if they want a card with you, and don't put a bunch of pressure on your Cashiers, it's the reason you have a high turnover rate.

5. "building materials"

Former Employee - Building Department Associate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Building Department Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great co-works on the same level.

Cons

being held back, lied too, management communicate problems, can't work your way up.

Advice to Management

they say no, but behind closes doors not the case.

6. "Unprofessional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a full time job.

Cons

Managers who don't know how to manage people/processes properly. Discrimination. Unprofessional. Unbalanced workload among employees. No work ethic. Favoritism. Employees sleeping while at work.

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees and get their take on the job.

7. "Great workplace and good management"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a cashier, the day went by quickly because you are always busy checking items out.
    See a lot of cool tools being bought and you always see new things.
    Also get paid for doing training on the computer and learning about items in the store.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with angry customers, especially ones that try to convince you that the items are to expensive.

May 28, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, The Home Depot believes the key to business is our commitment to customer service. Thank you for your hard work.

"High turn over rate. Was horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have a paying job.

Cons

They have a high turn over rate. They fired almost half of their staff to hire lower paying people.

Advice to Management

Keep good employees!

Feb 24, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More

9. "great company to work for. supervisors very professional."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

usually 40 hr. work weeks, some weekends, good benefits.

Cons

pay is ok, could be higher.

Advice to Management

more timely performance reviews.

Feb 5, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

"Better than no job, but don't stay too long. Avoid being a cashier."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about how to do things
    Hires many veterans, who are usually the best employees
    Yearly Raises (usually 20 cents per hour more)
    Learn more about tools, paint, tile, etc
    Bi-Yearly Profit Sharing (approx $200 for a regular associate, much more for supervisor and ASM)
    Occasional food provided for the associates
    Holiday pay (4 hours extra for PT, 8 for FT)
    Paid Vacation time (20/yr PT, 40/YR FT)
    English not required for job qualification
    Can get raise by switching departments, though that can be somewhat difficult to do.
    Some store managers try to do good by their people and give advancement opportunities.

Cons

New hires consistently start at a current, often increased starting wage than what previously hired employees start at. It is not uncommon to be making $0.20 more than someone who started 6 months before you, but $0.25 less than someone who started a year after you. Given an average of a $0.20 cent raise per year, it will not match.

You are 100% disposable, and many managers will indirectly rub that in. In less than 2 years working at Home Depot I've seen 4 department supervisors and 6 managers let go or quit. I can't even count how many regular associates have left while working there. Cashiers have the highest turnover rate and typically get paid less than a regular associate.

The average raise you get every year is $0.15 - $0.20 an hour, with the maximum (and very rare) being at $0.75.

Drug testing is initially required for hire, None after that. Could be a pro for someone.

The hours are inconsistent, and can be difficult to work around your schedule. There are times you are expected to come in at 5:00 AM for a few days, work till 11:00 PM, and be expected to come back in at 5:00 AM or 7:00 AM. Also, you might find yourself alone a lot, which sucks if you are asked by a customer or a supervisor to do a task which requires more than one person.

The training takes FOREVER when you first start. It's on the computer and half the answers are wrong. You need to remember what the wrong answers are to pass the tests on the training.

They often hold you to a double standard. They say that customer service is important to them, but that's just the official company line. More often than not you won't have the staffing or ability to provide the service expected of you. What they really care about are pure profits, and if the customer's didn't generate it they wouldn't be interested.

They tend to cater hiring the lowest common denominator, resulting in many of the people working in your department with you being less than intelligent, and in many cases racist and sexist. These people are then promoted to full time, and in some cases to supervisor. The company prefers people to do what they say, no matter how pointless, or in effectual it is.

Advice to Management

Learn how to make a schedule. Pay people a livable wage, and give EVEN profit sharing for all associates who qualify. The profit sharing for supervisors and management is over 1/3 of what I make in a year in this job.

Jan 21, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

Showing 12 of 16,211 reviews