The Home Depot Reviews in Garland, TX | Glassdoor

4.0
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 222 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 806 reviews)

Cons
  • "Tough to have a good work/life balance" (in 522 reviews)

• "I still can not get a full time position" (in 915 reviews)

1. "room for growth"

Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Garland, TX

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, room for growth if you are aggressive about it

Cons

hours are pretty much all over the place. breaks are difficult to take

2. "always an opportunity to grow within company"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible scheduling, bonuses, great co workers

Cons

hard labor and stressful customers,

The Home Depot Response

Oct 25, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot.

"Great advancement opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced hard work, changing environment

Cons

No system to track stock in overhead

Advice to Management

Show respect for ALL PEOPLE by paying higher wages to people who work!

4. "Hourly Associate"

Former Employee - Freight Associate in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Freight Associate in Garland, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gleaned satisfaction from knowing I did a job well . . . it was not an earth-shattering job, but I did a good job at it
    Working with people who, as a team, worked well together in spite of personal differences
    Satisfaction of helping people find what they needed and making recommendations based on my DIY knowledge

Cons

Home Depot no longer hires full-time personnel and I would have loved to become an associate full-time for life.

Advice to Management

Mean what you say and say what you mean . . . if you want employee loyalty you'll have to give them more than limited income and hours that won't allow them to make personal plans .... hire more full-time people!

5. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to help great customer's!!!

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about home-Depot!!

Advice to Management

Home-Depot has great management and is very helpful!!!

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Assist Store Manager in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Assist Store Manager in Garland, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to advance into management. Great pay for salaried management with bonus opportunity. Company is run by folks who started as hourly associates in the stores.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge. Not many weekends off. It's retail so you're gonna work harder when everyone else is off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Expect the unexpected"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Garland, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, great benefits. If your store does good on the sales the bonuses are always nice at the end of the quarter. Its a fun job if the Assistant mangers can run the store correctly.

Cons

A lot of inexperienced assistant managers. Your leadership should help develop you and teach you what you need to know. This may not be every store but, its almost like you have to fend for yourself.

Advice to Management

Expect the unexpected

8. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Home Depot was a very relaxing place to work. Everyone was nice and very helpful. If you needed help there was always someone around to give you an answer. The customers are friendly as well. Overall I would say that it was a very good cashier job.

Cons

Sometimes you would have to cashier outside in the garden section. It was either really hot outside or really cold.

Advice to Management

i think think the management was actually pretty good. I was never afraid to ask questions and everyone was very helpful.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 31, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

9. "very organized, efficent and concern for customers and employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

Pros

The best reasons to work at Home Depot are the computer educational trainning, health insurance benefits, the stock investment opportunities and the employee crisis support.

Cons

The schedule for part time associates varies, the part time benefits are less than full time benefits and the time is limited to fully complete assigned tasks.

Advice to Management

Offer as much concern and courtesy to the employees, as is taught to offer to the customers and employees, will in turn, naturally pass it on to the customers to a higher degree. Praise and approbation is key to excellence in employee/employer relationships and to the increase in the quality of customer service.

"If you want to 'see red', just wear orange, it's all waiting for you at your nearest Home Depot!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX

Pros

1) Very loyal and extremely appreciative customers, many will seek me out just to say thank you for something I helped them with on a previous visit, and to tell me how thankful they are knowing I'm there for them and how much it means to them. 2) (Most) fellow associates are great 'team players' who are respectful of each other, genuinely helpful, and are always there for you when you need encouragement. The customers and associates are the ONLY ones you will EVER get positive feedback from, but you'll get LOTS of it...(and you'll NEED it-Managers/Supervisors will rarely even acknowledge you, and then only long enough to chastise you for any insignificant thing.)

Cons

ALWAYS short-handed, usually you will be doing the work of AT LEAST 2 (usually 3) people. Management has almost zero interaction with store employees (or customers), and most have absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever about the products sold in the store they are managing. They will refer ALL customers they come in contact with to an associate, because they are literally clueless as to how to help them. You will live in constant fear of losing your job, because you are reminded almost daily that you are replaceable. You will almost never get your breaks, and you must request days off 3 weeks in advance, or it won't even be considered...even if you request a particular day off and follow the rules exactly, it's very likely you won't get it, and its pretty much understood that you will always be there when they need you to be there, regardless of all else. You are required to go 'above and beyond' at all times, and to expect absolutely NOTHING in return, except maybe to keep your job. Lastly, your yearly raise will never be more than 2-4% (less than .50 cents an hour.)

Advice to Management

Store Manager: Read a book or two on leadership, you might be amazed to find that your personal benefit from the knowledge you gain, (and ultimately put into practice), would be well worth the effort. Your own individual success will ALWAYS be decided by, and dependent on, your employees. How you choose to lead them, or how you choose to treat them, is WAY more important than you could ever imagine - but by the time you come to that realization, it will already be too late for you... and we'll still be there, singing "Another One Bites The Dust', and hoping for better on your replacement. Your odds look bad, _ years, and as many fired managers, I expect you'll be next come inventory time.... that's usually how it goes anyway. Try ADDING hours, rather than constantly CUTTING them, THEN, we would have time to effectively INCREASE SALES!! C'mon just TRY it...you might like it! Corporate: Tour America, visit your stores, PLEASE don't announce yourself beforehand (as you ALWAYS do...yes I know reality is hard to deal with, but maybe you would actually DO something if you were FORCED to see it...), BE a customer, HAVE that experience, listen to your employees, listen to your customers and learn their needs-find out what they want-and they will come, and you will survive. Realize the importance of all of the above. P.S. They will happily throw money at you, time and again, when you sell what they want - They will abruptly disappear forever when you no longer have what they want, because you chose to replace it with cheap crap (because it has a higher mark-up), they don't mindlessly just 'buy what you have'...It's SIMPLE really! Oh yes, you might want to brush-up on your History home-work...[think Rome] :)

Showing 11 of 19,351 reviews