The Home Depot Reviews in Glendale, AZ | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 445 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 798 reviews)

"Good, but could be better"

Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture and associate support, especially from assistant store managers and store-level HR.
    Excellent in accommodating time off when requested in advance (3 weeks or more)
    Decent entry-level pay in comparison to other stores of similar caliber
    Relatively easy to move horizontally, especially for cashiers and lot attendants
    Associates consist of a high number of long-term (5 year plus) employees
    If you want to get paid to workout, this is the company for you, but don't count on having the luxury of time to maintain proper form.

Cons

Constant turnover in newer associates and associates that should have never been hired in the first place results in under-staffed sales floors. Understaffing creates undue stress on the most experienced associates and I expect that my store in particular will have unnecessarily high senior associate turnover or transfer requests within the next six months.

Unqualified department supervisors tend to be the highest cause of turnover, in my opinion. Promotion of one unqualified DS can result in the entire department wanting to transfer out or leave the company, especially the most senior associates in that department

Associates in certain departments have higher liability (not necessarily legally, but in general terms) and are at higher risk for personal safety. These associates are not compensated any higher than other associates and these departments become very undesirable. These departments include lumber/building materials, flooring, and garden. Hardware, paint, and millworks are probably the easiest-to-work and easiest-to-learn departments with electrical and plumbing being average. Lumber is the easiest department to learn overall, but I would not want to be breathing in cement dust and wood-treating chemicals or hand stacking 80 lb bags of cement mix for $10/hr. I also find that flat-stacking lumber in confined spaces and cutting lumber on the saws are the two main sources of hearing damage in the entire store.

I never started working at Home Depot as a long-term strategy. This is merely supplemental income and I try to maintain an objective opinion about the store and company. If you are looking for a long-term (5+ plus) career, you must either be the absolute best or expect to spend your time here as a floor-level associate. Full-time positions are extremely rare and coveted and opportunities to advance are limited. I do not consider myself to be the #1 employee in the store or even my department. I have a decent work ethic, but I do not strive like those who do want THD to be a career. I have opportunities outside of this company, but it is disheartening to see that those who do strive the most are almost never compensated accordingly, financially or otherwise. They advance at nearly the same pace as the most mediocre employees and it devastates their morale, thereby increasing turnover.

Advice to Management

Store-level mgmt: Focus on recruiting only the best and most experienced department supervisors. If the ASMs are good, but the DSs are lacking, the store will lose cohesion and fail. The DSs are as important to maintaining morale and the floor-level culture of the store as the ASMs.

District-level mgmt: In my year-long employment at Home Depot, I have never once met anyone from district-level management. I understand that the duties of the district manager are unknown to me and likely difficult, but every good DM should try to find 2-4 days per quarter where they just go to the store and meet face-to-face with the actual associates. I think the motivation should also be to simply meet people and not to instill any sort of fear or awe in the associates. Leave this task to the GM. Additionally, there is a high level of competitiveness between stores that I think borders on toxic. Instilling a sense of competition between stores is good, but letting that competitiveness get to the point where associates feel like they are at a better store than the other stores or are filled with animosity towards other stores for the mistakes they make is not good for district-wide cohesion and efficiency.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

Pros

Good working environment, company values employees to a certain extent.

Cons

Wage is pretty much fixed at 10.00 an hour. Most everyone is hired part time and hours per week are set at no more then 27. Great job for young first timers or retired looking for few bucks.

Advice to Management

Advance from within and utilize the skill set of employees on hand by better matching their skills to departments they could offer more

3. "Receiving Dept Supervisor"

Former Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Glendale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company, great benefits.

Cons

Raises are minimal. Usually get 2 to 3 percent per year if lucky.

Advice to Management

Care about the employees

"Good place for a first job....then leave once you can't grow anymore"

Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer Service experience, good pay for high school grads

Cons

Poor management that lacks people skills, no incentive system, and zero product training

5. "order puller"

Former Employee - Deliveries/Order Puller in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Deliveries/Order Puller in Glendale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

great exercise, kept me running all over

Cons

poor supervisors and very disorganized

Jun 16, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a... More

"Nice staff. Poor management."

Current Employee - Cashier in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Glendale, AZ

Pros

Good benefits. Nice staff. Everyone was able to work as a great team. A decent understanding of how to provide customer service.

Cons

Management is awful. They do not care about their staff. They look for the first person they can to blame. Scheduling sucks. They cut your hours, then call you in for coverage. I didn't mind but they need to get it together.

Advice to Management

Staff needs to be treated fairly.

Dec 30, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group... More

7. "iS A GOOD PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Know a lot of products and descriptions and options.

Cons

attitude of some associates is not the right one.

Advice to Management

More SUpervision or make more activities were you can see the attitude of each individual and change it so the customer service can be upgraded on every one like TEAM BUILDINGS ACTIVITIES OR SPORTS.

Jun 13, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to customer service.

8. "disappointing"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

Pros

steady paycheck, large company with possibility to transfer store

Cons

no job security, unhappy associates

Advice to Management

respect your employees

Showing 8 of 15,925 reviews