The Home Depot Reviews in Gurnee, IL | Glassdoor

Gurnee, IL

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • learn a lot of different skills and trades that help in the real world (in 208 reviews)

• Benefits for part-time employees (in 763 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is usually unbalanced (in 479 reviews)

• Hard to get into a full time job (in 870 reviews)

"Not Bad for a Retail Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of different things to learn to keep it interesting. Pretty easy to take vacation when you want it as long as it's not black Friday or Memorial Day.

Cons

Management expects you to cover Dept's you don't know. If you work hard, you will just get more work to do while lazy people get to be lazy. But I think that's probably most jobs in general.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Gurnee, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They raised the pay to $10 an hour. However, it should be more due the long hours you have to stand. And all the credit cards they want you to try and get.

Cons

Some management do no know how to talk to people. And they want you to work every weekend as if you do not have a life.

Advice to Management

Get your management some training on how to speak to people.

"Bookkeeper"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Gurnee, IL

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about Home Depot for the hourly employee

Cons

Job Title is a lie.

It is not bookkeeping, but counting cash in cash tills and safe.

I am a CPA - Certified Public Accountant and the undeducated store manager argued with me as to the definition of a bookkeeper. Home Depot has made up their own meaning for the word bookkeeping. Not one aspect of the job is bookkeeping..

Bookkeepers in Guranee, IL start at $36,000 per year or about $18 per hour. Home Depot pays $10 per hour or about $23,000 per year to count cash in safe; and erroneously calls it bookkeeping.

The hours are terrible. You are not told that you will have to get to the store at around 4:15 AM, Monday through Friday.

There are no detail written procedures for how to do your job or videos.

The room the safe is in has no air conditioning and has not been cleaned in 18 years and is filthy. I called OSHA, but OSHA doesn't care. The safe room/bookkeeping room apparently doesn't have to be a clean work environment., OSHA doesn't care about retail stores like Home Depot or Walmart. I have worked at both and have seen the filth.

The only people who count at Home Depot are salaried management; hourly employees are nothing and are treated like dirt. No rights and no real benefits.

They have great videos about how you can even become CEO. What a joke!

The first video you have to watch is about how you should not join a union. This practice should be unconstitutional.

Home Depot needs unionization so that the hourly workers have rights and are not abused by managers.

And, this company is so cheap it doesn’t even give employees discounts on merchandise.

Advice to Management

Don't lie, create a clean work environment for all workers, and pay a decent wage with benefits.

The Home Depot Response

Jan 31, 2016 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

"Decent Pay for starting out, but a few issues"

Former Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Gurnee, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus potential bi-annually; starting pay is higher than most for sales floor associates; encouragement to try products; employee empowerment

Cons

Supervisors rarely get shuffled around; bonuses could be higher; no benefits for part-timers in terms of insurance due to Obamacare mandates; store hours are always changing for the employees in terms of when the employees start and end their days; slow to discipline members of management, but quick to discipline the regular associates

Advice to Management

Include the regular associates in the loop of things going on; streamline or make your meetings more efficient; invite employees to be a part of the department meetings so that the employees do not feel like the mangers are just sitting in the back and chit-chatting. Do not smudge the reviews of the employees to keep them from being advanced quicker.

The Home Depot Response

Dec 30, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our associates are the key to our... More

Showing 4 of 17,614 reviews