The Home Depot Reviews in Harrisburg, PA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

1. "loved working there"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the employees are amazing, we were like family, good benefits even for par time employees

Cons

hard on your body working on those concrete floors

Sep 14, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

2. "A waste of time."

Former Employee - Special Services Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Special Services Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid on time.

Cons

Poor management (specific store), poor software, behind the times, could not find orders, Appliance orders were always either missing or broken

Advice to Management

You should probably take people into account, not really "say" you'll take people into account and then just not do it.

3. "MET Associate"

Former Employee - MET Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - MET Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Schedule, non-supervisory position, wonderful people, pretty clear and concise responsibilities. When I was MET we traveled a region, I am not sure they do this any more, but that was nice, also. Mileage reimbursement. Company was extremely flexible with time off needed PTO, tardiness as life happens, though that maybe at a management level.

Cons

Pay was so/so. Also very difficult to move up as a woman. I do not mean that in a charged way, either, we had a wonderful team of very good leaders, very open minded fair people. It's just that women can not network with men the same way men can network with men, and when you network and connect with people you advance much easier. In home-building industry especially, this was a bit difficult. Awkwardness with some customers (as a woman), also, contractors coming in and asking about products, innocent stuff. It just is. Some store managers and store associates were somewhat unfriendly but, there are bitter apples everywhere! That is all, everything else was really great. Management makes all the difference.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, take some initiative and ownership-- have FUN and encourage a spirit of fun in the work day.

4. "A great place to experience growth in a retail career."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot gives the employees many opportunities to succeed and take on increasingly responsible positions. It is fun. And the experience is different every day. There is never a dull moment.

Cons

Success is based on working as a team. You have to like to work with others.

Sep 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience in your first year at The Home Depot.

"Fun place to work with a vast product selection and good pricing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees are hard workers and diligent in regards to their duties, which makes for an enjoyable team experience. A good place to learn about a large variety of products and skills to use them.

Cons

The work schedule hours are demanding at some times. You may close one day, working until 11:00 PM, then have to open the following morning, starting at 5:00 AM. Plan on working most holidays as the stores are only closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. There are numerous managers with an overload of responsibilities so too many adverse situations arise too frequently. The upper level corporate management have very narrow minded political views which are often presented in training programs and company messages.

Advice to Management

Listen more to associates with good experience and focus less on shoving their political biases on to employees.

Aug 7, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

"Low salary, high expectations."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great store management, willing to listen. Some assistant managers will work along side of you and do the heavy lifting.

Cons

Low salary for the expectations. Want professional sales people but offer no incentives. No real training. Scheduling can be difficult. No set shifts or consistent times, will open and close on consecutive days.

Advice to Management

Raise salary for sales specialists, offer some type of bonus. Get better/hands on training and a better

Apr 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

"The higher up you get, the less work you seem to do."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers do try to take care of employees strictly within the lines of their job description. Awards are given out occasionally, with monetary compensation, so it almost makes it worth it.

Cons

If an associate is having an issue beyond their job description, you have to pull teeth to get managers to help. Store managers are NEVER present, and give all their work to assistant store managers to do, so an associate problem can never really be solved. If you have a college education, don't work here. It seems like everyone WITHOUT a higher education is on a high level, and the ones that do have an education are stuck at the bottom. Additionally, the hourly wage is low.

Advice to Management

Put some effort into legitimately HELPING associates and finding and pursing a tangible solution. From all the managers I've seen, they come to work (store managers come to work maybe 5 hours a week just to delegate tasks to ASM's), help customer problems, and leave.

Feb 3, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

8. "company is going through changes...."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay for retail job

Cons

company focused on customers, not so much on its employees

Advice to Management

think of your employees as people, not as a resource

"The Home Depot - Store Manager - it will take over your life and you will get no reward"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Compensation is better than most retailers.

Cons

Long hours - had to work mandatory 7 day work weeks. Very poor communication from senior management.

Advice to Management

They need to be more selective in their field managment team.

Showing 9 of 16,253 reviews