The Home Depot Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

1. "Warehouse/Fork lift"

Current Freelancer - Sales Floor Team Member in Spring, TX
    Current Freelancer - Sales Floor Team Member in Spring, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Receiving, sale association,cash Sheild

Cons

Working in the flower department plumbing lumber order picking

Advice to Management

Taking advice of the job are be on time are was take short break when do not have salesperson that have to handy

2. "Pro Account Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Awesome Management, Great Co-Workers

Cons

The Pay could be better

3. "Great working experience and skill Improvement"

Former Employee - Hardware Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great part-time job for college students.
    Flexible hours. Only worked Friday's, Saturday's and Sundays.
    Gives an opportunity to promote your problem solving skills when helping customers with their home projects.

Cons

Tiresome, constantly dealt with impatient customers.
    Poor Management, store manager would change my schedule and give me a working schedule during my class schedule. He would do this repeatedly, even after I had explain him my availability hours.

4. "If you can stand for hours on end, you'll be fine"

Former Employee - Cashier/Guest Services Desk in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Guest Services Desk in Tomball, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Employees, Atmosphere, Teamwork, $50 Empowerment ability

Cons

They say they cater to their employees but they cater to management. Management gets a big head sometimes. Changed their policy on sick time, it is almost impossible to work now if you get sick often like I do. Overtime isn't allowed and must be cut the following week if it happens. Unless you kiss managements tail you are not going to get a promotion very easy.

Advice to Management

Don't put people on the spot. Just because you run the department doesn't mean that you can demote someone bc you don't like them, the way they work, and the way they communicate with you. Everyone else including customers were very impressed with the work I did.

5. "Living the Orange Life"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Pasadena, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team work, great benefits, great atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Not enough hours given and they only start out part time positions or temporary seasonal

6. "Good company - very "retail""

Current Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Treats employees well, growth opportunity within the retail structure. Slightly above average compensation for industry segment.

Cons

Limited recognition of individual contribution. Career growth depends on fitting within rigid retail structure expectations.

Advice to Management

Review policies to reward/retain high performing associates. Too frequently let good people walk who would be happy to remain and contribute if given incentive.

7. "Dysfunctional like most of modern society."

Current Employee - Pack Down Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pack Down Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It keeps you from being unemployed

Cons

You sell you soul for a paycheck.

Home Depot is very proud of all their new tech from the much lauded First Phone to their robotic ordering system which is the source of major headaches for freight. This ordering system was explained to me one night. Basically, they have buyers who visit a vendor and set up a deal to buy 100 widgets at $1 each. The vendor says, "I'll sell you 500 widgets at .80¢ each for a bulk discount. So, the Home Depot buyer will take the bait and then each store gets shipped box after box of product that has no proven track record of selling. Yes, it's simply a crapshoot.

This ordering system floods the store with unsellable product which plugs up the bays and makes organization and pack-out very difficult. Then associates get blamed for not packing down product or not putting product in the overhead of the bay where the product is sold. In the old days, human intelligence did the ordering. Now a computer will order product according to what is sold at checkout along with many "luck of the draw" items sent from the warehouse.

So, many freight jobs are extremely difficult because you have to constantly shove unwanted product in little holes and shelf corners. You'll stare in disbelief at like 300 yellowjacket traps for $19.99 that nobody wants because there is a video on YouTube on how to build one for free with an old Coke bottle.

Management is also completely dysfunctional. For all their technology, they do not communicate at all. One manager will tell you not to come in and another will wonder why you didn't show up. They seldom come into the aisles to see how you're doing with your job. Instead they like to rely on all their software. They worship what the spreadsheets tell them. Most of the reprimanding you will receive will be according to their software telling them something isn't right. Nevermind that you are being asked to do an impossible task most of the time (eg: run 3 departments at once; pack down a bay in 20 minutes). It's a typical situation where they want you to know they are there for you and when you ask for help, you generally get jibberish SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) rules. They rarely try to understand your plight on a level of empathy or intuition.

The "Veteran Staff" are all sloths who have mastered the very ARTFORM of not doing any work and blaming new hires for what is wrong. They are masters at whining and hiding. They have like a thousand hiding places so as not to be found when customers need help. A typical example of their laziness is not bothering to pack down product during the day and leaving all that work for freight at night. Then blaming freight because no product is packed down. They are masters of "walking slow" across the store and taking a 20 minute bathroom break. It's almost comical to watch. When they are in dark areas of the store (no eyes/cameras), they move like sloths would, slow motion.

Every now and then, you'll come to the break area and see lofty yet obscure adjectives written on the dry erase board such as "synergizes". They love acronyms. Just take a word like "PIG" and pick three corporate concepts to add to it. "Profit! Integration! Global Audience!". I can see them in there, behind closed doors, pounding the words on the board with their hands and then telling the ASMs to go out there and pound those employees with more adjectives and acronyms.

Eh, but what can you do. A job like this is about is good as you will get in the modern day without education. Society is collapsing and Home Depot has all the symptoms. They will be a dead company in the next 20 years, killed off by Amazon and internet shopping. Even lumber will ordered online, packed by robots and sent via drone. Brick and Mortar retail is dying so all we can do is hang on while we try to earn enough for bread and water.

Advice to Management

More robots and drones to run the store. Improve internet interface. Fire everybody and give them a national income so they can stay home and play on the internet. Turn stores into closed door shipping centers (like Amazon warehouses). That's where society is going. Why not just admit it and speed up the process instead of lying to us?

8. "Good Training"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company provides extensive and continuing training to its Associates

Cons

Raises could be a little quicker in coming

9. "A simple job for decent pay"

Former Employee - Paint Desk Attendant in Webster, TX
    Former Employee - Paint Desk Attendant in Webster, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

supportive management, friendly coworkers, simple tasks

Cons

Little and slow upward mobility

10. "Pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Electrical Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very professional place to work and they were pretty flexible with hours and the pay wasn't bad for what it was.

Cons

Micro-management can be an issue with some of the higher ups. Its retail and all the retail problems come along with it.

Advice to Management

If your employees are doing a good job and are working hard, give them some space. If there is a deadbeat working for you, even if its a pain to deal with, make them suffer because you not making them kick rocks destroys morale of all the hard working employees especially if you try and use a nice guy approach.

Showing 299 of 16,237 reviews