The Home Depot Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "zero work/life balance as a salaried manager" (in 524 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 919 reviews)

1. "The night shift was awesome."

Former Employee - Freight Team Member in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Freight Team Member in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked from 8 to midnight.
    Easy shifts.
    Good with school schedule.
    Almost no customer interaction.

Cons

Home Depot's obsession with the Home Depot Credit Card.
    Interoffice Politics.

2. "Working here is fine, so long as you understand they don't care about you."

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Home Depot promotes from within, and good work does get noticed. I'd say they have a better than average hiring process, so they wind up with a pretty decent staff, though problems do arise. Morale isn't usually high, but camaraderie usually is.

Cons

The pay is lower than their competitors. Scheduling is awful. I've spent large amounts of time scheduling employees for my department and it almost always works out that the needs of part time employees get prioritized over those of the long-term, most valuable employees, which is pretty self-defeating. Even then, coverage for breaks and lunches is usually hard to come by and creates tension on the floor. It creates a hostile and oppositional environment where anything that respects the human needs of the employee is difficult to accomplish. I've worked 14 day stretches without a day off, and that seems ridiculous in a retail location that employs ~120 people. Also, their employee disaster relief fund "The Homer Fund" is transparently awful, a thing that wouldn't have to exist at all if their employees were paid good wages. It is funded solely by contributions from employee paychecks, so that when disaster hits an employee, The Home Depot gets to hand them a fat check in front of the local media without it costing the company a dime. Charity on the backs of underpaid employees is almost impressively despicable.

Advice to Management

Orienting the store so that scheduling respects the needs and lives of full time employees would be a great start. Obviously there has to be coverage for all customer facing hours, but it seems like this would be doable with changes to both the scheduling software and hiring mixes between PT and FT. Bump pay up to be competitive with your competitors. I guarantee you'd see an increase in morale and productivity.

"Low Pay, Little Respect."

Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

Supposedly there is great opportunities, only if you know who to suck up to. if your a great performer you won't get anywhere unless your scratching someones back along the way.

Cons

Very low pay, Only slightly higher then minimum wage. Schedule changes at a whim, your expected to work 6 to 3 every day, sometimes 4 to 1. Factor in a 1.5 hour drive time with that, and your whole day is shot.

Advice to Management

Have a life, just because you don't think a personal life is necessary doesn't mean the 30 people you manage feel the same way.

4. "Department Manager says Home Depot is Pretty Good but Improvement Necessary; Possible."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

Every day when I walk in, I see about 60 associates that are pleasant to see and greet. They are smiling and happy. Almost every customer that I speak to responds positively. I am recognized and respected by management and associates as an expert in customer service, product knowledge, and ability to find and apply information in our computer systems. Huge amounts of product training by computer is available and required of every associate, so that gaining knowledge is certain to anyone who stays employed. I am a "key-carrier", an hourly department manager with the authority to run the store when needed. We are truly empowered and expected to do almost anything to see that a customer has a satisfactory experience with us, whether profitable or not. Helping a customer is reason to stop in the middle of a sentence and turn away even walking with a district or regional manager. Associates have a great deal of freedom to transfer to another store in the area or across the country. Basic health benefits are available to every employee after 90 days.

Cons

For full-time associates, most jobs have nearly random hours from 6 or 8am to 10 or 11pm, any day of the week. This applies to salaried store management as well. They are scheduled to work 11 hour shifts at least 5 days a week anytime around the clock as needed, including working until midnight and returning by 5 or 6am. This makes advancement from hourly, to salaried management, an agreement to surrender any type of normal life or relationship.
       Communication goes through so many levels and takes so long that it is usually incomplete or outdated, requiring another round of the same, etc.
       There is no opportunity to make additional money through individual initiative, ability and hard work, except through the twice yearly Success Sharing which is determined solely by whether your store makes its sales plan, a figure generated at the corporate level.

Advice to Management

Get rid of half the people in Atlanta who constantly churn, administer, and monitor new programs. Tighten up and shorten your supply chain so that stock matches and supports a longer-term merchandising stategy. Enable the computers to find existing surplus stock nationwide by SKU by quantity and average sales per week instead of by individual store numbers. If more money is not available, reward exceptional employees with fixed schedules.

Showing 4 of 19,832 reviews