The Home Depot Reviews in Kentucky | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 505 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 901 reviews)

1. "International Sales Exports/Commercial Accounts Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in Glasgow, KY
    Former Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in Glasgow, KY

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay

Cons

I find this company solid and after 28 yrs of service it was a great part of my journey.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its one big family. Everyone truly cares about their coworkers. The customers are really good people, & the pros that come in are willing to share their knowledge of their trade unselfishly. There is always something to do. Never a dull moment. Management is great. They are always there with a kind word or telling you what a great job you are doing. Our general manager as well as all the other managers are out on the floor working just as hard as everyone else. He does not stay in his office and takes time for each employee.

Cons

A lot of walking. I work in the garden center, the largest department in the store. We are spread out from the outside, inside garden, front seasonal display & other side of the store for more seasonal. Not only these areas but answering all the phone calls from customers. Only time we have good coverage is on the weekend. Lots of heavy lifting and help is not always available to assist when loading 30 bags of mulch, rocks or paving stones. Not enough lift drivers trained and only 1 Ballymore for the entire store. No full time positions for those of us who really desire them. Not even cross training with other departments.

Advice to Management

Let employees wanting full time positions cross train in other departments. Train more lift drivers.

"Just put in my resignation"

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Still some good people left. But that could be changing. Some schedule flexibility early on. I sure loved working with the customers (best part).

Cons

No desire to retain employees. Seems that the place is going down hill fast. They have reorganizing the departments and supervisors causing everyone to be unhappy. That bleeds over to the customers. Customers in the last 2 months or more seem to be more upset as the employee/customer engagement is dropping off drastically. Allot of customers use to say "we come here for the great service". (not anymore) Now they stomp out of the store as there are not enough associates to help them.

Advice to Management

Your employees no longer what to stay there. When people leave that have many years in, that can be a bad thing if your customers are wanting a seasoned professional at the store. You should have never cut every ones hours and added more to the supervisor's list; all they did was let it run down hill. Beware, Menards is coming to town.

"Not women-friendly at all... Unless you want to be a cashier."

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat decent rate of pay, decent hours.

Cons

This is a HEAVILY male-dominated environment. They do not understand at all than a 5 foot, 120 lb. female cannot lift as much as a 6 foot, 170 lb. male can. They seem to think that it shouldn't take longer than TWENTY MINUTES to finish a pallet, even if there are more than 60-70 boxes on it, bearing in mind that you have to individually scan each one (if you're even lucky enough to HAVE a scanner), locate its home, see if it will fit, get a ladder if need be, and carve the box open and lift/stock the item.
    I was consistently given tasks that were extremely difficult for one person to do alone, let alone someone who is literally physically incapable of doing them, and then I would routinely get called back for conferences with my manager about not meeting the 4 pallets/hr quota. After awhile this started to really bog down my self-esteem, as I was made to feel worthless and lazy, even though I had NEVER been working so hard before in my life. I was also told that I wasn't even doing the bare minimum, even on days when I completed many tasks to try to prove myself to my manager.
    I almost had an asthma attack 6 times. Almost fell off a ladder 3 times. Nearly passed out from the heat several times. I was busting my tail and the only time I was ever talked to was to be told I'm not working hard enough.
    I almost put my back out trying to lift 80 lb. boxes of bleach and my manager exaggerated saying they were only 20 lbs. It literally said on the side of the box, 80 lbs.
    God forbid you can't physically lift something on your own, or they will roll their eyes at you like you're a weakling. When I asked for help lifting something, they would LITERALLY respond with "Oh you can do it! GIRL POWER!"
    I was also yelled at for taking a bathroom break longer than 5 minutes even though the manager and several choice favorite employees would take random 10-15 cigarette breaks whenever they pleased.
    This is some kind of joke to them. I would not recommend The Home Depot as a place to work, unless you are a physically fit male who doesn't mind the muscle strain. Otherwise... steer very clear, especially if you are female.
    You can do so much better.

Advice to Management

Lower your expectations.
    Your employees are PEOPLE, not machines.
    Recognize the good work they do instead of ONLY ever addressing what they need to improve on.

5. "Office Associate"

Current Employee - Vault Teller in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Vault Teller in Florence, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The associates I work with are great. It feels like a real team here. Management listens to you and strives to help you in any way they can.

Cons

I would prefer a set schedule but that is difficult to do in retail. I would also like to make more money.

Advice to Management

I know you all work hard and I am grateful. Thanks for your support.

6. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, not the best supervisors

Cons

How boring the job was

7. "Flooring Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love working with community
    Home Depot does charity work
    Multiple opportunities to learn

Cons

Clic oriented
    Little management knowledge in certain areas
    Favoritism
    Have to be a favorite to get a promotion

Advice to Management

Be careful

"Lot associate"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a friendly community. I know people who I can talk to. We try to communicate to help out our customers. Hours are for the most part pretty good

Cons

Many cons as a lot associate I am one of 2 loaders who are scheduled at different times. I also work as garden recovery and I have had a lot of backbreaking work to do I've been working with th home depot for a little over a year I've lifted vanities toilets, mowers, showers by myself most of the time and it has started to take a toll on my back and I've recently graduated high school. I'm still bothered as to why there is a cashier appreciation month and not a supervisor appreciation month or associate appreciation month.

Advice to Management

I would love to get help with loading at the very least my back has been in more pain than I would like. It really is depressing and overall sad that I cannot rely on other associates help.

9. "Lumber Sales Asscosiote"

Current Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Florence, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very helpful with questions you habe or whattever.

Cons

None to put for this

The Home Depot Response

Apr 10, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

10. "DH"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

The family atmosphere and customers

Cons

New managment, taking out or getting rid of long time employees to try to inhanve sales

Showing 66 of 18,819 reviews