The Home Depot Reviews in Lafayette, IN | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

1. "I love working for Home Depot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers always comes first I love that every where else I have worked never had that . Everyone is so friendly and I love the ones I work for in lafayette,in

Cons

When you work here you get rewarded for a good job you do I love that about home depot

Advice to Management

Hopefully last place to work til I retire which is quite a few years away.

2. "was a goog job"

Former Employee - Freight Associate in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Freight Associate in Lafayette, IN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

learned new things all the time

Cons

cut in part time hours

Advice to Management

na

3. "A great environment, great for college students."

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Lafayette, IN

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible scheduling, room to grow.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get days off, sometimes understaffed, some managers are rarely on the "floor."

Advice to Management

Find more time to help co-workers on the floor. Give more praise where praise is due.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 16, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

"Terrible - Terrible - Terrible"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits. Not much else going on. Decent wages for Department heads and managers but not for anyone else.

Cons

Lack of upper management support
    Lack of concern for employee complaints
    Empty promises delivered by upper management

I spent three months with the Home Depot as a MEA. During that three months, I dealt with a considerable amount of workplace bullying and my manager playing favorites. I would find something another associate did wrong - associates who had been there for years before me - and I would tell my manager, only for my manager to go behind my back and spin that complaint into a jab at trying to get them fired. She would tell the associates a version of what I said with lies twisted in and it made them seclude me from the team... Even at one point to a consistent daily argument between a coworker and I. I called the "associate aware line" and made a complaint, and the corporate office sent the recording of the call to my supervisor - who the complaint was about. The supervisor then retaliated against me and spread lies and rumors about me throughout the store to make my job miserable.

If I could stop any associate from working here, I would. This company has no respect for it's associates. It's purely a numbers business that has zero concern about your wellbeing or your happiness in your position. When I went to my DM about the problems I had, I was told that I would deal with that anywhere and I would not have support from him.

The time I worked there was miserable, at best. With their attendance policy, your tardy even if you are 1 minute late. Working at 5a is no cake walk. Especially when you're coming from a job that you worked 11-7 or 12-8. This policy made it incredibly hard to want to come to work because even if you were trying to adjust, the managers threaten you every time you're late or sick with write ups and dangle your job over your head.

I would not recommend this company to anyone who has a life outside of work. You get weekends off, as an MEA. But you also get a low wage for the work you're doing. Most Merchandising Associates are getting paid $11-14 an hour in my area and I was told that $9 an hour was great. Do yourself a favor and look up other salaries for merchandising in your area before accepting a job offer.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates concern. They are the ones doing the hard work. Make sure they are happy with tier working conditions. Apply the information you receive from your EOC survey and make changes accordingly. Pay your lower level associates a real living wage and make sure they are taking care of your stores. The less pay we receive, the less likely we are to consistently work hard. Stop smothering everyone in safety and start caring about our general wellbeing.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 18, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

5. "Average"

Former Employee - Hardware Asscioate in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Hardware Asscioate in Lafayette, IN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting products and people tend to be fairly easy to work with. Get to walk around and help various customers needs

Cons

Boring repeating same routine everyday. Management tends to only care about department heads and the bank statement.

Advice to Management

Treat part time employees like humans instead of your little minions

"Company staffed by well-meaning simpletons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Pros

*Functional knowledge - Employees have a plethora of resources such as fellow employees and training modules that will teach you everything you would want to know regarding home improvement.

*Learn new skills - No matter what department you belong to, you'll be given opportunities to flex different skills, whether it's functional or social.

*Great team-members - Home Depot employees are young and old, pulled from different backgrounds and cultures. You'll likely end up making a good number of friends to with whom to share your annoyances and war stories from the trenches of the Depot.

Cons

*Few incentives - No incentives to excel within your position.

*Terrible management - All members in middle management are 'groomed' for a store leader position, meaning that the same managers are cycled in and out of different departments. This not only makes for conflicts within departments, it makes it almost impossible for aspiring, younger employees to pursue a long-standing career within the company.

*Good ol' boy(or girl) mentality - Talented employees are consistently passed over for promotions in favor of incompetent, close friends of store managers.

*High turnover rate - Due to the aforementioned points, jobs at the Depot appear to be a highly transient 'blip' on most jobseekers' resumes.

Advice to Management

Restructure management so that members of your workforce are utilized more efficiently. You are losing talented individuals due to unfair treatment and incompetent management.

7. "Mostly Positive work environment"

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Lafayette, IN

Pros

I work in a store with very friendly coworkers. Plenty of on the job training to help educate yourself and the consumer. great benefits and atmosphere

Cons

staffing is controlled through upper level so often we are stretched a little thin. Wages are not always that great

Advice to Management

more positive encouragement and keeping people accountable for their work. more willingness to help on the floor instead of avoid work and just passing out work lists

8. "Not great, underpaid with no support from management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Pros

Interesting environment to work in. Generally friendly pool of coworkers.

Cons

Management uninterested in helping with career growth. Higher level management shows preferential treatment.

Advice to Management

Get it together, you're losing very talented employees!

Showing 8 of 16,209 reviews