The Home Depot Reviews in Lakeland, FL | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

"Freight team member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Homer fund helps our very well

Cons

Never know how many hours your going to have,they dont pay enough for the work you have to do lot tech gets paid one dollar less how's that possible

Advice to Management

Make pay better than 31% less than average then maybe you will hire great workers

2. "Customer Punching Bag"

Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security is definitely a pro, if you are able to handle difficult customers and provide great customer service no matter what, you are in good shape.

Management is usually always there to help, worst case scenario you can always call another store for advise.

Cons

Simply put, a lot of stress.

High turn over, people will not take to amount of responsibility for what it pays. Once they get hired most of them can't handle the over load of responsibility and customer harassment that comes with the position.

Compensation is not good enough to keep good employees from seeking better paying jobs. Must learn most systems in the store that involves other departments (not really a con, knowledge is power) but you are always the backup and the other departments will tend to hand over their issues for the Service Desk to fix especially when it involves appliance issues.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation for special service desk associates and other associates the store depends on so much on. ( Service Desk, Pro Desk, Kitchen designer, C.O.S.) all these positions are so important to the store and there is no reason to have poor compensation to motivate these departments where customer service is so, so important. As many times as I have said it on those Voice of the Associates reports we do every year. "You will get what you pay for". Also have other departments fix their issues. The service desk can't always be fixing these same issues other departments keep on having. If management would have these departments fix their own issues once in a while instead of saying take it to the service desk they can fix it, maybe some of these issues will not be repeated.

Managers I know how many headaches you guys have to deal with every single day. We know, we handle all the calls and most of all the upset customers that you are dealing with first. Just as much as it gives you a hard time dealing with them, we too have the same struggles and issues with the disadvantage of multitasking and handling other customers at the same time.

The point that I am trying to make is that, fine there will be issues with orders, issues with installs, and rough customers to deal with. We don't mind the work and we will take the abuse, but at the very least compensate your employees fairly. It is easier to deal with these issues when you are getting paid around $65,000 a year but it makes is much harder when you are only compensated the base pay of $10 an hour. You will continue to lose your good employees time after time to better paying, less demanding positions offered by other employers.

You can't be the #1 customer service retailer if you don't have motivated employees who are overused, burnt out, and under appreciated.

Hope this helps shed some light for improvements,.

3. "Flooring Sales specialist"

Former Employee - Flooring Sales Specialist in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Flooring Sales Specialist in Lakeland, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with some amazing people that were almost always there to help.
    Managers were nice also.

Cons

You will get worked like a dog.
    They didn't want to hire any more people to my department Flooring/Decor. so when your the only one in you department and your at the most critical time of day, it tests your patience.

Advice to Management

associates work hard, pay need to be re imaged to how much work they actually do.

"Find another employer."

Former Employee - Lumber Sales Associate - Power Pack Down in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Lumber Sales Associate - Power Pack Down in Lakeland, FL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with many of my fellow associates and learned a great deal about home improvement. Helping customers find the best products and solve home improvement challenges was rewarding. But, some of my fondest memories working at Home Depot occurred while watching the assistant managers and store manager look like frightened little kids when corporate visited the store.

Cons

The higher your level of performance, the more punishment you can expect to receive. An employee with a strong work ethic is expected to carry the weight of managements' poor hiring decisions which culminate in the sales floor being littered with lazy associates. One associate that refuses to perform has an enormous impact on a department. It is the most unrewarding, hostile and abusive work environment I have ever experienced. During orientation you are told about opportunities to advance, unfortunately if you work too hard advancement in the company is impossible. You will become valued only as a beast of burden whose back is used for manual labor and a stepping stone for the lazy. Home Depot's claim to value its associated is patently false. The associate work experience can be summed up as striving to meet unreasonable expectations coupled with impossible time lines all while being fully subsidized by federal and state social benefit programs to supplement shamefully low wages.

Advice to Management

Running a store like the Gulag isn't an acceptable management style unless you are in Stalin's Russia. You won't suffer from IBS during corporate visits if you manage the store everyday and not just the few days before their arrival. Hold people accountable and to the same equal standard; it isn't an associate's responsibility to pay for your poor interviewing skills and terrible hiring decisions by doing the work of two or more people. Think about the customer and associate interactions and how important associate engagement is to providing the best customer service. Power hours were put in place by corporate to allow associates to focus on the customers and not the mountain of freight and cleaning tasks that can amount to an impossible workload. Providing great customer service isn't possible from the seat of a roaring forklift cordoned off by gates. Operating heavy machinery carrying a bundle of 294 boards 16 feet long does not create an environment conducive to customer service or even selling products in general. How can a customer buy anything when access to the aisle is restricted? The power hours policy is in place for numerous reasons, managements' standing order to work through power hours unless corporate is visiting the store is prohibited, ridiculous, unnecessary and the perceived need to do so is solely attributable to poor management ability. While I was never written up and received good reviews, I saw and heard a lot about write ups and terminations. Ignoring power hours and commanding the associates to do the same should be cause for termination or at least a write up. In closing, it is a fact that one associate cannot unload trucks behind the store, pack down freight in the building, operate the forklift (gotta have a spotter, but there isn't one scheduled until power hours), answer the phone, run two saws, fetch and restock returns, provide sku numbers to the cashier's, pull will calls and deliveries, load delivery trucks, clean two departments and, last but not least, provide customer service all at once. Think about what you ask of people who are being paid below the poverty line. Think about whether the associates are being provided with the resources necessary to perform the tasks assigned.

5. "Department Head"

Former Employee - Department Head in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Department Head in Lakeland, FL

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Great palace to work. Great people to work with

Cons

Hours are all over the map

"Expendable"

Former Employee - Bay Integrity Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Bay Integrity Associate in Lakeland, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Home Depot provides decent benefits*

Cons

Pay is laughable. They mainly hire only part time. You have to prove your worth being full time through years of working with the company. They turn down qualified employees and give new hires the spot. You have to go out of your way to get more hours, if there are any available.
    *To full timers. Part timers get minimal benefits due to lack of pay.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep your opinions to yourself. Don't express disdain to those looking for a job, especially in this economy. Also, don't expect anyone to do something you're not willing to do yourself.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 5, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

7. "Very disappointing."

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Lakeland, FL

Pros

The job is fairly easy, but it can get boring at times since my department gets very few customers. I think it's great that they offer benefits for part-time employees and they are very flexible with my school schedule.

Cons

Management is terrible. Home Depot has something called "power hour" which requires employees to absolutely nothing but seek out customers for 4-8 hours a day. It's incredibly useless and it prevents employees from getting other work done. Especially in my department, there are hardly ever any customers, so there's a lot of standing around and twiddling my thumbs. Also, the automated scheduling system makes it so the store is running on a skeleton crew. Often, one person will cover three departments at once.

Advice to Management

Get rid of power hour, change back to the old scheduling system, and please hire more full-time employees! I don't want to continue working here because Home Depot isn't offering full-time positions.

Showing 7 of 16,237 reviews