The Home Depot Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

1. "Bleeding orange daily!!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benifits!! Love the bonus system!! Keeps u busy till clock out...

Cons

The 12 to 9 shift 😂😂

2. "we are loved workers. it's a family..."

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

big company, steady work. great cultre.

Cons

none really. it's hard work, but it's fun if you like to work hard and deal with customers.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, guys. love my job.

3. "Associate."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, lots of benefits--401k, matching funds, good people...

Cons

wish it paid more and had more room for advancement without switching stores.

4. "descrimination , racist , Vulgar."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All depend who is your supervisor , She / He will not last , what is good one day is bad with the next , Home Depot will fare well on the short term however due to 60% plus turn over , it will go against them , thrive on young uneducated workers , the pool is endless .

Cons

Extremely racist and discriminatory .
    They want to be politically correct so they promote so called minority , while I am a very small fraction of minority I was discriminated against . My fellow co worker is making $4 an hour more than I do , no experience at all . while I passed the most stringent military back ground check to work in ultra military classified facilities to install electronic system , world leading technology {almost all} , financial institution , law enforcement agency from local to FBI , DEA , Superior Courts. I would be curious to know if all Loss Prevention Employee and their Supervisor have this background , let's combine to that Close contact for over 33 years with almost all world leaders and every US President ....
    Built or restored 3 houses , design , structural , electrical , plumbing , Heat , water , lead paint removal , repainting , in short entire project , well above the codes. Coming from a Family of entrepreneur and large farm , breeding and cross breeding flowers and vegetables , in depth knowledge of mill work and steel manufacturing among other ....
    Sales stolen on a consistent basis , because these sales were stolen missed the quota as direct result less or zero pay increase , this will affect me for the rest of my life in social security retirement , this is the greatest theft against my future .
    Forced to work up to 6 hours straight to final a sale {stolen} then submit so called paper punch to be in compliance .
    I am Handicapped walk with a cane {Home Depot work injury} cannot climb ladders , May not stand for more than 30 minutes , cannot carry weight over 5lb , cannot push pull over 10lb . At my last evaluation supervisor ordered me to climb ladders to retrieve merchandise up to 20 lb {pure suicide as there is no way to be able to down stock merchandise and stepping down a 10 foot ladder , safely } walk and stand up at all the time unless I had an appointment , push and pull carts some well over 200 lb , do shelves maintenance repetitive up and down bending twisting against MD order and agreement for work restriction by Home Depot {I crunched several disk while directed to lift overweight merchandise}
    Tying up pay with credit generation regardless of the customer ability to pay .
    Generate lead regardless if the customer need the product or not {was actually disciplined for not selling multiples product to a customer when the Customer requested one lead then would evaluate after ,
    Got disciplined for not enough leads numbers , while in dollar amount my lead were close to 3 times the amount of the lead generator and twice more in dollar amount that anyone else in the store , sold leads across the Country .
    Got discipline for bad Customer service while I received the Highest possible country wide and top in 3 Countries Customer service Awards in previous career , outstanding service has been my life . Able to communicate in 3 Languages ...
    Vulgarity well take Bruce Willis use him to conduct meeting and you will have the Supervisor , how would you feel when such person tell you I don't need this "blip job" I am a millionaire you are going to get your "Blip" "blip" together or I am going to fire your " blip A.." , then always insult you degrade you humiliate you , either in front of Employees or customers , these peoples are the permanent frame of Supervisor and Management , by the way one of those was actually promoted to the highest position then several years terminated only to be arrested one day for carrying gun and drug possession , nice people you promote . This is 100% genuine review which can be supported by dozen if not 100 of Employees .
    Meanwhile these Managers refused to listen to health warning for a customer which resulted in Customer great injury . The worse imaginable , It was shoved under the carpet .
    No I did not call the awareness line , because the managers play back the tape among themselves to identify who called and terminate them , there are hundreds of way to be terminated at Home Depot .
    Furthermore large return by customers are Hidden from Corporate.

Advice to Management

There are 2 Home Depot , Corporate and Stores , one has noble ideas {most of the time} and the Stores a total different beast .

5. "Associate"

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Store Culture, as well as a stable exposure to customer service. Compounding on to this is the fact that a majority of the higher ups tend to look out for their bread and butter.

Cons

Low pay, the occasional opportunistic ASM, and unsteady hours.

Advice to Management

Look before you higher new ASMs, because sometimes, work experience does not mean good leadership capability.

6. "Not enough opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Homer Fund, Team Depot, Kids Clinics, etc. So many great programs for community engagement. Good, flexible schedule for Merchandising Associates, small team sizes usually means good communication, associates who show interest and initiative can easily take advantage of further learning and a number of opportunities to take on responsibility

Cons

Partnership between Merchandisers and store associates/management can always be improved upon. Often, the individual departments are lacking enough associates to service customers' needs effectively and efficiently and Merchandising Associates do not possess enough product-specific knowledge to assist customers effectively.
    Not much room for growth unless you are looking for management positions which can be too few and far between to have a good chance. There have been a number of occasions on which family members or friends were given jobs or promotions that were better deserved by people within the company.

Advice to Management

Better store and Merchandising Team partnership. More hands-on job training and job learning for all associates that isn't mainly computer-based. Merchandising Supervisors overall could be more hands-on. Less nepotism/favoritism.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 19, 2017 – Content Marketing Strategist

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

7. "Tough to move up"

Current Employee - Appliances Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Appliances Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers and associates are fun to work with. Very team oriented environment.

Cons

Like most corporate retail positions, it's highly political and management plays favorites on who they promote

Advice to Management

Don't discriminate against women

"No thanks, would not recommend"

Former Employee - Decor Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Decor Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ummmmm, they hire you???

Cons

if you wanna be sexually harassed daily, by management and customers then good news!!! home depot is the place for you. Always favoritism, so make sure you kiss a lot of butt.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Base employment off of work ethic, not friendship/relationship status. Perhaps you should research WHY a store hemorrhages employees rather than having sporadic district walks....

9. "MET"

Current Employee - MET in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - MET in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3 day weekend that's about it.

Cons

Pay is horrible for the amount of work they want you to put in. You will always make as much as new hires no matter how much training you get i make the same 11.50 as new hires and I am licensed on all lift equipment and have been there for almost 2 years. Dont expect decent pay or treatment.

Advice to Management

Pay better. You guys sit us down every week and brag about how much the stores are pulling in. In my district we are almost always pulling in 1+ million per damn store and you can only give us minimum wage?! its a joke this is why nobody will work hard for you.

10. "If you want the company, the company wants you."

Former Employee - Paint Department in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Paint Department in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

steady work with a company that will survive economic downturns, opportunity to advance to supervision and management, great environment if you like people, like to hustle and like to be challenged... and the company will reward you for doing what needs to be done and jumping though the hoops.

Cons

You will always be nobody to this profit driven huge corporation, and there will never be more for what they offer you - lots of hard work for a steady check and benefits.

Showing 99 of 16,209 reviews