The Home Depot Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You learn a lot on the job when you are a cashier, or when you are a lot attendant (in 205 reviews)

• Benefits for part-time employees (in 757 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is usually unbalanced (in 475 reviews)

• I can not have a full time shift yet (in 863 reviews)

1. "outside sales rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits and excellent training.

Cons

Hard to balance work & family life

"Excellent company, unknown future for asset protection."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture
    Good pay compared to other companies
    Ability to travel to neighboring stores in your district & work with little supervision/ no micromanagement
    Company invests time & money into AP

Cons

The future for AP looks disappointing. No more undercover work. Branded t-shirts now and a strict hands off policy is enforced
    Lower morale due to not being able to physically stop thieves anymore
    No area for growth in AP

Advice to Management

Please bring back our hands on policy and undercover operations. It’s so much harder to catch when we wear branded t shirts and are not able to touch. Thieves laugh in our face and come back non stop.
    Better pay raises

3. "Home Depot"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible shifts, competitive pay, room for growth

Cons

They do not train new associates for the individual departments. They stress customer service but do not give new employees the tools and the knowledge to succeed in servicing the customers . They place associates in departments without teaching them the details of each department.

Advice to Management

Train associates for the specific departments and not just general training

4. "Overall a good steady job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Department in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Department in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff is very friendly, otherwise it’s the old people that are bitter. When I was a part timer they worked well with my schedule.

Cons

Customers expect a lot from you

"Home Depot"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and more advanced than the blue box

Cons

Lots of hours ,working weekend and holidays

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company for students because of flexible schedule

Cons

very flexible and great atmosphere

7. "Probably should think twice... Good for the young and old .... Think part-time only!"

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up because the turn over is so high
    Thank-you for giving me the insite to look elsewhere to establish a new career where people are appreciated and one is able to be there for family.

Cons

Political brown nosing a necessaty in an untruthful environment,
    District and Regional Management need training in moral and eithical behaviors
    You have to sell your sole and you will lose all your quality of life
    The Dog and Pony shows are ridiculous... you would think Air Force One landed in parking lot. As salaried management you will work 60 hour weeks + and you will be on beckon call , with your text messages running 24/7. Also enjoy all the holidays because all you get off are the only two days they are closed Thanksgiving
    Day and Christmas Day.

Advice to Management

Something is going on at the top with HD, you have had to many good people walk away for better opportunities and have gotten rid of to many good tenured managers for no reason this has depleted your bench to keep quality people and has forced you to place unqualified people in position that they are not prepared to handle, also you need pay hourly associates reasonable wages to keep them around to help you drive the VOC which is a ridiculous measure of how your driving customer service. Drop the under 18 hires no work ethic and do not know how to engage in retail selling to adults, also separate the online pick-up from the returns/customer service desk.
    The message preached from Atlanta of taking care of your people , Do the right thing, respect one another. Some how this message gets lost in translation as it gets to the region, the district and into the stores, it’s really ashame that it is all lip service, they are not walking the talk as a company. It’s definetly “Living the Orange Life” Not

8. "Bleeding orange daily!!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benifits!! Love the bonus system!! Keeps u busy till clock out...

Cons

The 12 to 9 shift 😂😂

"descrimination , racist , Vulgar."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All depend who is your supervisor , She / He will not last , what is good one day is bad with the next , Home Depot will fare well on the short term however due to 60% plus turn over , it will go against them , thrive on young uneducated workers , the pool is endless .

Cons

Extremely racist and discriminatory .
    They want to be politically correct so they promote so called minority , while I am a very small fraction of minority I was discriminated against . My fellow co worker is making $4 an hour more than I do , no experience at all . while I passed the most stringent military back ground check to work in ultra military classified facilities to install electronic system , world leading technology {almost all} , financial institution , law enforcement agency from local to FBI , DEA , Superior Courts. I would be curious to know if all Loss Prevention Employee and their Supervisor have this background , let's combine to that Close contact for over 33 years with almost all world leaders and every US President ....
    Built or restored 3 houses , design , structural , electrical , plumbing , Heat , water , lead paint removal , repainting , in short entire project , well above the codes. Coming from a Family of entrepreneur and large farm , breeding and cross breeding flowers and vegetables , in depth knowledge of mill work and steel manufacturing among other ....
    Sales stolen on a consistent basis , because these sales were stolen missed the quota as direct result less or zero pay increase , this will affect me for the rest of my life in social security retirement , this is the greatest theft against my future .
    Forced to work up to 6 hours straight to final a sale {stolen} then submit so called paper punch to be in compliance .
    I am Handicapped walk with a cane {Home Depot work injury} cannot climb ladders , May not stand for more than 30 minutes , cannot carry weight over 5lb , cannot push pull over 10lb . At my last evaluation supervisor ordered me to climb ladders to retrieve merchandise up to 20 lb {pure suicide as there is no way to be able to down stock merchandise and stepping down a 10 foot ladder , safely } walk and stand up at all the time unless I had an appointment , push and pull carts some well over 200 lb , do shelves maintenance repetitive up and down bending twisting against MD order and agreement for work restriction by Home Depot {I crunched several disk while directed to lift overweight merchandise}
    Tying up pay with credit generation regardless of the customer ability to pay .
    Generate lead regardless if the customer need the product or not {was actually disciplined for not selling multiples product to a customer when the Customer requested one lead then would evaluate after ,
    Got disciplined for not enough leads numbers , while in dollar amount my lead were close to 3 times the amount of the lead generator and twice more in dollar amount that anyone else in the store , sold leads across the Country .
    Got discipline for bad Customer service while I received the Highest possible country wide and top in 3 Countries Customer service Awards in previous career , outstanding service has been my life . Able to communicate in 3 Languages ...
    Vulgarity well take Bruce Willis use him to conduct meeting and you will have the Supervisor , how would you feel when such person tell you I don't need this "blip job" I am a millionaire you are going to get your "Blip" "blip" together or I am going to fire your " blip A.." , then always insult you degrade you humiliate you , either in front of Employees or customers , these peoples are the permanent frame of Supervisor and Management , by the way one of those was actually promoted to the highest position then several years terminated only to be arrested one day for carrying gun and drug possession , nice people you promote . This is 100% genuine review which can be supported by dozen if not 100 of Employees .
    Meanwhile these Managers refused to listen to health warning for a customer which resulted in Customer great injury . The worse imaginable , It was shoved under the carpet .
    No I did not call the awareness line , because the managers play back the tape among themselves to identify who called and terminate them , there are hundreds of way to be terminated at Home Depot .
    Furthermore large return by customers are Hidden from Corporate.

Advice to Management

There are 2 Home Depot , Corporate and Stores , one has noble ideas {most of the time} and the Stores a total different beast .

10. "Associate"

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Store Culture, as well as a stable exposure to customer service. Compounding on to this is the fact that a majority of the higher ups tend to look out for their bread and butter.

Cons

Low pay, the occasional opportunistic ASM, and unsteady hours.

Advice to Management

Look before you higher new ASMs, because sometimes, work experience does not mean good leadership capability.

Showing 104 of 17,384 reviews