The Home Depot Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 879 reviews)

1. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and work / life balance.

Cons

Schedules may sometimes be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Continue to support associates to keep turnover rate down.

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee focus is good , many benefits including tuition reimbursement , health insurance, healthy living bonus, profit sharing, merit raises, and trained management. Very integrated and inclusive work force and generally well rounded and safe and happy environment. But, it can be fast paced and it is retail customer facing large box retailer.

Cons

Very large place, I walk sometimes 6 miles or more during a shift. There are some heavy items to lift on occasion as this is a home improvement warehouse , but they are keen on safety and team work and it is retail , they expect sales skills for which there is no commissions paid. It is just hourly with a shared store bonus every quarter. Unfortunately as in any very large company, sometimes decisions are made far away affecting the physical plant without an understanding of how negatively the outcomes of those decisions will impact the sales floor. And o course, they don;t just make a decision for 1 store but for many, then when they roll out the change all of a sudden the impact becomes apparent, but wow, now they have a warehouse full of "setup" that is going to have a significantly more negative effect than the positive result they anticipated.....

Advice to Management

build a template or model first, or even assemble a prototype and test the change in one or two place before moving on the reset.

3. "Home Depot doesn't care about their part time employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were nice. I also enjoyed some of the customers.

Cons

Where to start...I have worked at several other retail chains and working for HD has by far been the worst experience. The pay is minimum wage for part time employees and is far too low to put up with all the stress and responsibilities this employer and the customers put on employees. This company is NOT flexible at all in terms of scheduling. Be prepared to work every weekend and have your time off requests denied constantly. No minimum wage job is worth never being able to have a weekend off or to take off time to have a life outside of work. You also don't get medical or dental benefits working part time, you have to pay for it even though you won't be able to afford it working 27 hours or less a week (27 being the max). Poor working conditions in my store. A/C doesn't work well so it's always sweltering hot and our department only had one small fan to make up for it which wasn't enough. This company obviously cares only about making money and keeping their customers coming back for more. They are constantly raving about how great a company it is to work for but they don't offer fair pay or let you take time off.

Advice to Management

TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES! Pay fair wages and offer actual benefits and better perks than discounts on phone bill. Also realize that your employees have lives outside of work and rotate employees on weekends and take time off requests more seriously.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 11, 2018 – HR Communications

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our associates are the key to our... More

4. "In-Home Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Establishment of relationships, great income and benefits

Cons

No company vehicle and very long hours

"outside sales rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits and excellent training.

Cons

Hard to balance work & family life

6. "Home Depot"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible shifts, competitive pay, room for growth

Cons

They do not train new associates for the individual departments. They stress customer service but do not give new employees the tools and the knowledge to succeed in servicing the customers . They place associates in departments without teaching them the details of each department.

Advice to Management

Train associates for the specific departments and not just general training

7. "Overall a good steady job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Department in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Department in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff is very friendly, otherwise it’s the old people that are bitter. When I was a part timer they worked well with my schedule.

Cons

Customers expect a lot from you

"Home Depot"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and more advanced than the blue box

Cons

Lots of hours ,working weekend and holidays

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company for students because of flexible schedule

Cons

very flexible and great atmosphere

10. "Probably should think twice... Good for the young and old .... Think part-time only!"

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up because the turn over is so high
    Thank-you for giving me the insite to look elsewhere to establish a new career where people are appreciated and one is able to be there for family.

Cons

Political brown nosing a necessaty in an untruthful environment,
    District and Regional Management need training in moral and eithical behaviors
    You have to sell your sole and you will lose all your quality of life
    The Dog and Pony shows are ridiculous... you would think Air Force One landed in parking lot. As salaried management you will work 60 hour weeks + and you will be on beckon call , with your text messages running 24/7. Also enjoy all the holidays because all you get off are the only two days they are closed Thanksgiving
    Day and Christmas Day.

Advice to Management

Something is going on at the top with HD, you have had to many good people walk away for better opportunities and have gotten rid of to many good tenured managers for no reason this has depleted your bench to keep quality people and has forced you to place unqualified people in position that they are not prepared to handle, also you need pay hourly associates reasonable wages to keep them around to help you drive the VOC which is a ridiculous measure of how your driving customer service. Drop the under 18 hires no work ethic and do not know how to engage in retail selling to adults, also separate the online pick-up from the returns/customer service desk.
    The message preached from Atlanta of taking care of your people , Do the right thing, respect one another. Some how this message gets lost in translation as it gets to the region, the district and into the stores, it’s really ashame that it is all lip service, they are not walking the talk as a company. It’s definetly “Living the Orange Life” Not

Showing 107 of 17,998 reviews