The Home Depot Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 510 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 907 reviews)

1. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and work / life balance.

Cons

Schedules may sometimes be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Continue to support associates to keep turnover rate down.

2. "Declining Morale"

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Will work with part time schedules

Cons

Poor staffing at peak times, horrible management which is causing the decline in morale, everyone is a Chief mentality. Very clear favoritism displayed

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and you'll get more from them.

3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Doordash in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Doordash in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There not much. It's a standard minimum wage job.

Cons

You don't get to leave the cashier to learn about products but the customers always ask about the products. The training is only about safety and cash handling. They are understaffed so you're basically a security guard as well.

Advice to Management

They should train cashiers to have product knowledge or at least be able to shadow the people who work in those departments.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Measurement Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Measurement Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Not in store. You get paid daily rate as opposed to hourly. If you work less than 8hrs you still get same pay, if you work more, you get paid overtime. You get mileage reimbursement at IRS rate.

Cons

You spent a lot of time driving in traffic.

Advice to Management

Have more contact with your employees.

5. "Home Depot - Home Services - HDE"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little, I would say there is still some autonomy.

Cons

No compassion for employees. Home Depot (Services Division HDE) has completely destroyed work-life balance. With the new systems HD uses to allocate appointments and populate calendars there is no family life. Your are expected to have your calendar open 8AM to 8PM 6-7 days a week and be on call without pay. Driving 100 miles to run appointments is the norm, using your car and no mileage compensation. The pay has also been cut making it more expensive to run each appointment. Most of my years here at HD have been good, but with the recent changes it is clear work-life balance is gone. Advice to perspective employees? Look for a company with a more humane approach to business.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing profit and margins to supersede employee morale and wellbeing. Get rid of same day appointments and provide your SC's with a calendar that allows them time with their family. Quit affording managers the ability to pressure their employees to run same day appointments and keep their calendars open 7 days a week.

"Overworked"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, yearly raise, two bonuses a year

Cons

Was always at work, couldn't enjoy time off because you were pretty much on call

Advice to Management

It would've been nice to have an actual lunch where you can actually sit and relax for more then 5 minutes

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee focus is good , many benefits including tuition reimbursement , health insurance, healthy living bonus, profit sharing, merit raises, and trained management. Very integrated and inclusive work force and generally well rounded and safe and happy environment. But, it can be fast paced and it is retail customer facing large box retailer.

Cons

Very large place, I walk sometimes 6 miles or more during a shift. There are some heavy items to lift on occasion as this is a home improvement warehouse , but they are keen on safety and team work and it is retail , they expect sales skills for which there is no commissions paid. It is just hourly with a shared store bonus every quarter. Unfortunately as in any very large company, sometimes decisions are made far away affecting the physical plant without an understanding of how negatively the outcomes of those decisions will impact the sales floor. And o course, they don;t just make a decision for 1 store but for many, then when they roll out the change all of a sudden the impact becomes apparent, but wow, now they have a warehouse full of "setup" that is going to have a significantly more negative effect than the positive result they anticipated.....

Advice to Management

build a template or model first, or even assemble a prototype and test the change in one or two place before moving on the reset.

"Home Depot doesn't care about their part time employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were nice. I also enjoyed some of the customers.

Cons

Where to start...I have worked at several other retail chains and working for HD has by far been the worst experience. The pay is minimum wage for part time employees and is far too low to put up with all the stress and responsibilities this employer and the customers put on employees. This company is NOT flexible at all in terms of scheduling. Be prepared to work every weekend and have your time off requests denied constantly. No minimum wage job is worth never being able to have a weekend off or to take off time to have a life outside of work. You also don't get medical or dental benefits working part time, you have to pay for it even though you won't be able to afford it working 27 hours or less a week (27 being the max). Poor working conditions in my store. A/C doesn't work well so it's always sweltering hot and our department only had one small fan to make up for it which wasn't enough. This company obviously cares only about making money and keeping their customers coming back for more. They are constantly raving about how great a company it is to work for but they don't offer fair pay or let you take time off.

Advice to Management

TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES! Pay fair wages and offer actual benefits and better perks than discounts on phone bill. Also realize that your employees have lives outside of work and rotate employees on weekends and take time off requests more seriously.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 11, 2018 – HR Communications

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our associates are the key to our... More

9. "In-Home Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Establishment of relationships, great income and benefits

Cons

No company vehicle and very long hours

"outside sales rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits and excellent training.

Cons

Hard to balance work & family life

Showing 111 of 19,005 reviews