The Home Depot Lot Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 510 reviews)

• "The hourly pay for full time employees" (in 910 reviews)

1. "It was great"

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Amherst, NY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and great company

Cons

Very strict about company policy

"They hire a lot of Part Time employees who have no prior experience. Everyone gets the same pay."

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training they have is good if you are already pretty familiar with the material. I enjoy helping people figure out how to accomplish their project and find the right tools and parts.

Cons

Because the pay is barely above minimum wage and part timers don’t get any medical benefits or even an employee discount, there is a lot of turn over. Disappointing that they don’t value employees that have industry knowledge and have a passion for customer service. I love my work there, but get paid less than my son does bagging groceries.

Advice to Management

Clean house. If a department supervisor is rude to customers and their employees they should find another job. They should be leading the moral of the team and demonstrating exceptional customer service.

3. "This is an amazing place to work: great people, and I enjoy the work."

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly Management; Great benefits! Work hard and Jesus will help you succeed.

Cons

If you work hard every day, then your supervisor will notice and there will not be any cons.

Advice to Management

If an employee is struggling with any particular issue, give them some grace and help them to recover.

Aug 22, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

4. "Decent for a first time job"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Tracy, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and the benefits

Cons

The amount of responsibilities they have you do for your position

Advice to Management

Train your lot employees more and give them and give them more benefits for more responsibilities

Aug 16, 2018 – Client Partner

Thanks for your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We continually look for ways to ensure associates have equal access to growth and development opportunities.

"Not a great place to work (Lot, Cashier, Paint, Lumber, Garden)"

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Fuquay-Varina, NC

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You could pick up shifts sometimes to earn extra money.
    Nice (as in kind) management at my location.
    Schedule posted 2-3 weeks in advance.

Cons

Scheduled hours can change at the drop of a hat, and management doesn't tell you. This undermines the whole 2-3 week advanced notice.
    I tried to get full time. They kept cutting my hours when I was part time until I had to have a second job to survive. Then they used the excuse that I didn't have an open enough schedule to fill a full time position.
    Pay isn't great.
    Scheduled hours are hectic. Technically they can't have you close one day and open the next, but management would get around this by scheduling you to work an hour after they opened.
    Perpetually short staffed. Learned how to cover various positions, but I was always a lot associate so that they wouldn't need to up my pay (I got 2 small raises over the course of 3 years).

Advice to Management

You always harp on about how you considered us the "Home Depot Family" but it never seemed sincere. Sales are down? You cut hours at the drop of a hat, often at the expense of short staffing the store. One person in a department during peak hours is not a good business model. One guy loading purchases from the garden center to the lumber bay, and all the grills in between, is going to make your customers impatient and angry.

Advice to potential employees:
    At the end of the day this is a retail job. Like any other retail job, you will probably quit and move on to something better later. Alright job for the short term, but as things stand now, the company doesn't care much about it's employees. Which is why most employees, myself included, don't much care about the company. I doubt this will ever be a career that you enjoy, but it might be enough to pay the bills until you can find something you are passionate about.

"Home Depot is a good place to work depending on what department you work in."

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Wentzville, MO
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Wentzville, MO

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hourly Pay
    - Taught Good Work Ethic
    - Flexible Hours
    - Free Food
    Overall, The Home Depot is a great first time job to work at. I would recommend anyone who wants to work here apply for anything, BUT Lot Associate. The Home Depot was extremely flexible with my availability to work, with some minor issues.

Cons

Speaking from experience as a Lot Associate I can say the bad outweighed the good.
    Certain people who worked as the Head Cashier, or Pro/Service Desk Associates were extremely rude/arrogant to Lot Associates. They would order you around like a grunt and make you do other departments jobs while they sat on their phones playing games, and/or talked to their fellow co workers. This may not seem like a problem, but when they yell at you for talking to a fellow Lot Associate and send you to opposite ends of the store it's almost hypocritical.
    I would find myself the hardest working employee at certain times but received no recognition or award, while the people who sat around all day and accomplished nothing revived awards and benefits . Because of this, it was easy to see there was favoritism associated with rewards.
    The last problem while working here was when I was given other people's shifts without even checking if I could work them. One week I checked my shift, saw all my shifts, the next day a shift was added on the weekend when I would be going out of town without my notice. I simple phone call could have confirmed this and prevented this issue.
    I encourage anyone who wants to have an easy going first time job to apply here as a Cashier, or if you are 18, a Store Associate. Just a fair warning, DON'T apply for Lot Associate, you will be worked like a grunt/slave, while your co workers relax and get rewarded

Advice to Management

- Stop playing favoritism.
    - Listen to the needs of the employees.

Jul 11, 2018 – HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

"Lacks Training."

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible times, nice associates, my supervisors made sure i had everything i needed to do my job well.

Cons

Had next to no person to person training, no team meetings so me and my associates would never be on the same page, it's terrible walkie talkies never seemed to be working so communication with lumber, garden or the front to see if they need a hand was awful. Due to the lack of proper training i've seem to be always be doing something wrong even if I thought at the time I was doing something nice so i end up getting bad image to peers and to superior and it makes me feel shameful.

Advice to Management

Do a proper job training to your new associates right when they get in and have actually have them work with someone for like their first month of their employment so they will have less hiccups in the future, i wish a hand a mentor in the beginning of my employment because i feel like if i did have one i wouldn't be so stressed all the time thinking if im doing enough or not enough.

"Lot associate"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a friendly community. I know people who I can talk to. We try to communicate to help out our customers. Hours are for the most part pretty good

Cons

Many cons as a lot associate I am one of 2 loaders who are scheduled at different times. I also work as garden recovery and I have had a lot of backbreaking work to do I've been working with th home depot for a little over a year I've lifted vanities toilets, mowers, showers by myself most of the time and it has started to take a toll on my back and I've recently graduated high school. I'm still bothered as to why there is a cashier appreciation month and not a supervisor appreciation month or associate appreciation month.

Advice to Management

I would love to get help with loading at the very least my back has been in more pain than I would like. It really is depressing and overall sad that I cannot rely on other associates help.

9. "Part time Lot Associate"

Current Employee - Home Depot Lot Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Home Depot Lot Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good benefits, overall good company to work for

Cons

Training was done mostly on the computer with not much practical training (at least for my position). Hiring employees for the right positions could also use work.

Advice to Management

Focus more on training directly with new employees, actively guiding them more

10. "Lot older"

Former Employee - Lot Associate
    Former Employee - Lot Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training courses on sales

Cons

Limited options in store