The Home Depot Lot Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • learn a lot of different skills and trades that help in the real world (in 208 reviews)

• Benefits for part-time employees (in 763 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is usually unbalanced (in 479 reviews)

• Hard to get into a full time job (in 870 reviews)

"Haven't Had Any Issues"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with school schedules or if you'd like to take a vacation somewhere, or just need time off in general. The people are very friendly and have a good mix of ages. Management is very friendly as well and listen to whatever questions/needs you have. Overall a good company to work for. Not to mention paid sick and vacation time (as a part time worker).

Cons

Customers can be rude, but thats expected. If you're promoted, you won't be getting paid much more, and it can take quite a while to move up. Definitely not a place you choose as a career, but more so a job in the meantime while you work on your next goal.

Advice to Management

N/A

The Home Depot Response

Feb 23, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

2. "Lot associate"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a friendly community. I know people who I can talk to. We try to communicate to help out our customers. Hours are for the most part pretty good

Cons

Many cons as a lot associate I am one of 2 loaders who are scheduled at different times. I also work as garden recovery and I have had a lot of backbreaking work to do I've been working with th home depot for a little over a year I've lifted vanities toilets, mowers, showers by myself most of the time and it has started to take a toll on my back and I've recently graduated high school. I'm still bothered as to why there is a cashier appreciation month and not a supervisor appreciation month or associate appreciation month.

Advice to Management

I would love to get help with loading at the very least my back has been in more pain than I would like. It really is depressing and overall sad that I cannot rely on other associates help.

3. "Part time Lot Associate"

Current Employee - Home Depot Lot Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Home Depot Lot Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good benefits, overall good company to work for

Cons

Training was done mostly on the computer with not much practical training (at least for my position). Hiring employees for the right positions could also use work.

Advice to Management

Focus more on training directly with new employees, actively guiding them more

4. "Lot older"

Former Employee - Lot Associate
    Former Employee - Lot Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training courses on sales

Cons

Limited options in store

5. "Home Depot"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Grand Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Grand Rapids, MN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Focus on the customers, and the front line associates

Cons

Not very efficient could try and market better in store

Advice to Management

Try to use the technological advancements as they come out

"Best summer and part time job"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work with your schedule, the other associates are all pretty awesome, there is always some sort of event happening that benefits our stores employees or other employees in need, and they have the best benefits for high school and college students

Cons

Not much other than some customers complain to you about other associates mistakes, but that happens in any retail position

7. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Destin, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun and challanging place to work kept me on my toes always something new to do

Cons

upper management only seemed to care about long term employees

8. "Employee"

Current Employee - Lot Associate in Sun City Center, FL
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Sun City Center, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Work hours are great.

Cons

Not a bad company to work for.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job.

9. "Steady work, not the best pay"

Current Employee - Lot Associate
    Current Employee - Lot Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many customers are friendly, most of the Managers are fairly good. The inside of the store is usually clean

Cons

Products are often out of stock. Stock will sometimes be list in inventory but no one will be able to find it(even over night, due to damage or theft). They do not have cameras on the lot. The store managers do not put much consideration into new design ideas or organization systems that are suggested by some employees. Often they only offer .25 raises and starting pay is still only $10/hr. Specialized departments often do not have enough staff on hand (they count the number listed in the books to decide if there are enough staff, rather than looking at how many are scheduled, who is actually on the floor, and how busy the department is). They frequently fail to call for backup from outside the store(employees who are not scheduled for that day) in order to avoid paying overtime, at the expense of customer experience

Advice to Management

Increase pay to keep up with the market, atleast for existing employees with degrees if you want to maintain an experienced workforce. Try to keep departments more consistently staffed (you can't expect everyone trained in electrical, flooring, or cabinetry to automatically know how to solve a complex plumbing question, but if you don't have the staff then the customers will still expect the answer right away). repair damaged parking surfaces more frequently.

"Good for a starting first few jobs no staying power"

Current Employee - Lot Associate, Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Lot Associate, Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath in Arvada, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice
    Training for other departments (assuming you are not trying to become a designer)
    Good starting point for other better paying jobs in the industry

Cons

Bad pay at $11 a hour and falling behind lots of other retail giants like target quickly.
    People don't want you to cross train even after training unless it is their department.
    Everything is based on the time you join (success sharing, review, when you can move up etc.)
    They constantly under schedule people in all departments.
    Full time is hard to get and even if you get full time there is no guarantee you keep it in other departments.
    Part time does not have a set schedule making it harder for them to do their other job or school if they do one of those (likely do if part time)
    Only benefits you really take advantage of is ESPP, 401k and short and long term disability.
    They force all employees to park in the back for customer satisfaction which makes it easier for stealing.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on your employees more by paying better, schedule enough people and give more full time.