The Home Depot Reviews in Louisville, KY | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

1. "Measurment Technician for HDMS"

Current Employee - Measurement Technician in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Measurement Technician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work around my personal schedule; Provides a service that can be very helpful to our customers; great healthcare benefits; pays semi-yearly bonuses, if sales goals are met by every department in the company. Offers profit sharing stocks.

Cons

Having to use personal car for job site visits; compensation is not all that great but it has improved somewhat in the last year. Mileage is based upon a set reimbursement rate and not an IRS established rate per mile.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees as much as you take care of your customers. Don't take people for granted; if an employee has a special or unique business revenue growth idea or talent - utilize it then, don't ignore it!

2. "Slave Labor"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are not many if any

Cons

Low pay. Hours are horrible, open close, close open, can't have a life. Half the time they will not approve vacation which makes it very tough if you have already paid. Depot says employees come first and that is just a slogan with no back bone.

Advice to Management

Better pay. Better hours or scheduling. Quit hiring outside of the company. Have seen people work for years, then left, wanting to get into management only to be overlooked by walmart employees who do not know the idea behind depot. Take care of employees and not just blow smoke.

"Lack of communication and poor management."

Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Merchandise Execution schedule is set Monday through Friday first shift, a rarity in retail.
    Twice a year profit sharing bonuses, not very much but still a plus.
    Occasional team lunches and reward system for good work.

Cons

Too much unnecessary and petty hostility between store-side employees and Merchandising branch, which causes more trouble than necessary.
    Lack of willingness to cooperate among employees.
    Consistent low staffing, requiring employees to stretch themselves thin among workloads.
    At my specific store, good management gets transferred to other stores while management that stays remains uncooperative and not open to communication.
    Management often says one thing yet does another.
    Health insurance is expensive given the pay.

Advice to Management

Work on fully staffing all stores and listening to employees. Award better raises to lower turnover and improve communication to boost morale. Take stated concerns like this seriously and actually listen and act on them.

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to move up, customers were great, co-workers were fun

Cons

Retail (long hours), not enough staffing, management no where to be found

Advice to Management

Look @ cons

"Fair and down to earth company!"

Current Employee - Lawn and Garden Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Lawn and Garden Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

For having worked there almost two years I have always felt respected and never talked down to by management. I do try to treat others with respect, so I guess what goes around comes around. I don't feel like someone is looking over my shoulder but I suppose that is because I DO what is expected of me and don't just stand around gabbing with co-workers. I feel like people are stealing time on the clock when they goof off while expected to work. They accommodate if you have restrictions such as bad back, etc. Co-workers are always friendly and seem to like their jobs as well and that creates an atmosphere where customers enjoy coming into that environment. One of the things I love is that customers are greeted at the door during peak times by an employee that stays in the front area during those times. That is not to say that we don't greet and offer help to every customer every time however when it is very busy it really is nice to have customers know exactly where to go when they are busy on weekends. We almost fight over who gets to help the customers at Home Depot---what other store offers that kind of help?--not many I assure you!. Before I worked here, I did some mystery shopping whereby you evaluate an employee/employees so I know exactly what to look for from the workers such as how many seconds/minutes did it take for an employee to greet and offer help, were they smiling, did they seem eager to help, etc. You don't ever have to worry about searching for someone to help or of receiving bad service here as it just comes naturally as they hire friendly, energetic people and have training which you must complete in order to become knowledgeable about the products and safety of the store. It is a great company to work with many benefits. They truly seem to care about their employees and everyone works together as a team which is the way it is supposed to be. I enjoy working here very much!

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to keep theft from happening, and it does happen, but it seems to me that if they employed security guards whos primary task is keeping an eye on what's leaving the store that theft would be down. We all do keep aware of what's going on but when it is very busy it gets tough to watch that closely who is walking out with what and if they have receipts.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and make sure everyone gets rewarded, at least verbally, for a good job! Respected, fulfilled employees are much more likely to go above and beyond to help managers and do a good job if they feel their hard work is appreciated. It is a win/win for everyone involved--especially the customers!

6. "Department Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Camaraderie, benefits, bonuses, good place to work

Cons

retail environment with very demanding customers, specialty store

7. "Excellent!"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've had several jobs in the past, both retail and non; this is by far the best company I've worked for. They care about their employees. Management listens to concerns and ideas. I would recommend this company very highly!

Cons

They can hire starting at 16. Some of the children nowadays have zero work ethic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "COS"

Current Employee - Cos in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Cos in Louisville, KY

Pros

Nice place to work I enjoy it

Cons

Pay does not match the work I do.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the pay scale of your COS team. they deserve a lot more than what hey are paid. Think about how much money they save you.

9. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, nice people to work with,get satisfaction working with customers

Cons

Weekend work ,night hours, management has favorites who get better schedules and days off

Advice to Management

Be more adjustable on schedules

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Competitive benefits. Good advancement opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes training for newly promoted associates could be better. Take charge of your training when promoted to ensure success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and make sure to develop your people after they are promoted.

Showing 27 of 16,226 reviews