The Home Depot Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2018

3.2
The Home Depot CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
  1. "If your willing to do your job...."

Current Employee - Special Services Supervisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

If your willing to give 100% you will get 100%

Cons

Schedule is not dependable, changes from days to nights, to over nights

The Home Depot2013-11-05

November 12, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot.

2. "Sales Associate in Garden and Kitchen and Bath"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

co-workers are supportive, flexible hours, decent pay

Cons

room for growth if you were in the right "clique"

The Home Depot2018-02-17

"They want to be the BEST at customer service BUT they have along way to go at the west side store!"

Customer Service Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Pay and dress code were great.

Cons

Climate & Culture - They are very understaffed. Departments were running on a single person at times. Department workers were rude, seldom in the mood to help you out (even though that was their job), and usually not even in their designated department. Management - They say they have an open door policy, but it doesn't work that way. I went to management because I wasn't getting trained and was then taunted... by my sup daily after that. Training - They have you complete tons of modules on the computer but some are out dated and other practices aren't even done that way anymore. It was an overload of computer and really no hands on to balance it out. Benefits - The health insurance does not meet the basic federal requirements, so you'll have to purchase your own through the Government Market Place. They do offer ER medical though.

Advice to Management

When you hire new people you need someone that's going to complete the new hire process and not continually drop the ball on following up and support. I, as well as others often showed having no clue what we were really suppose to do and no directions left for us from management. Open door, should mean just that. You should be able to come in and share concerns without repercussions from others. Support... your new hires, make them feel welcome instead of it being like some frat house hazing ritual you have to survive. Make sure you provide a safe working environment were employees feel safe and don't have to worry about being mistreated or harassed by coworkers.

The Home Depot2016-08-09
  4. "Horrible wages"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Super flexible hours. Good training. Everyone I worked with were hard workers and super friendly. That's about it.

Cons

Super low wages. It was a second job for me, but I felt so bad for my coworkers. All of them were barely scraping by. It's not possible to support a family on $10/hour. Not even an employee discount.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep good people, you're going to have to pay more than a fast food restaurant.

The Home Depot2015-05-21

"Interesting and developed a good work ethic and customer service"

Lot Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

happy people in Garden and interesting construction customers

Cons

you work really hard but don't pay much for it..especially for a successful company. Management not always listening to the low guy on pay chain.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and retain workers by paying more and scheduling better

The Home Depot2015-05-01
  6. "Hard work not for the desk type of personality"

Department Supervisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

The commitment to customer service

Cons

Constantly changing schedule no consistency

Advice to Management

More ASMs that work along with associates and less that walk around pointing like DMs

The Home Depot2015-03-29
  7. "Great company, poor management"

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Intelligent coworkers for the most part.

Cons

Very poor management. You will need to be educated in the department you want if you want a chance at full time.

Advice to Management

The HR people employed at various stores are very manipulative and to much favoritism in the middle management.

The Home Depot2015-03-27

May 28, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group (AACG) to express your concerns.

8. "Good benefits, but little time for training."

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Madison, WI

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced so your shift goes quickly, always tasks to be done, opportunities to work in other departments and get promoted

Cons

Difficult to receive training and get help answering questions, some days there was not enough staff on hand for the work that was needed to be done

Advice to Management

Try to allow time for more training, customers expect sales staff to be experts in their department, allow the more knowledgeable staff members in a department the time to pass on their wisdom to coworkers

The Home Depot2015-02-25

March 24, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all levels of the company? To learn more, visit the “Developing Potential” page on our careers website.

"Don't make a career out of this"

Current Employee - MET Team in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a MET employee, the set hours and no weekends are the lone advantage this job has going for it. at least there's no threat of it going out of business at least

Cons

Pick one. Poor wages, poor management, poor morale, poor training, zero clear path toward advancement, improper placement of staff (staff members assigned to departments where they are ill-equipped to actually be helpful), and on and on and on.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers who actually have the employees best interests in mind, rather than their own advancement. or some managers who can remember their employees' names. that would be a nice start.

The Home Depot2014-08-19
  10. "love the people, waiting to love the pay"

Current Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

my fellow employees area ll super friendly and helpful

Cons

when i signed on i didnt realize how low my salary was

The Home Depot2014-05-19

May 27, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected and that their contributions are valued. Taking care of associates is one of our core values. We continually look for ways to ensure associates have equal access to growth and development opportunities. Keep up the great work taking care of our customers.

Found 13 reviews