The Home Depot Merchandising Execution Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 505 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 901 reviews)

1. "Great place for Students."

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in College Station, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was able to work before classes while on the MET team

Cons

Work was early morning hours.

2. "Supportive"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team, my supervisor is helpful and available, my set hours and weekends off.

Cons

Dirty work environment, uncompetitive pay and salary

"Learned a lot, didn't earn a thing"

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great benefits matrix package

Cons

Devastating poor pay, poor Staffing. irregular hours not conducive to any stable lifestyle for a full-time employee

Advice to Management

Invest as much time into your employees as you do in your bottom line/dollar. Your bottom line will always be achieved and accomplished as your employees would be happy having felt appreciated.

4. "Salary & benefits"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Woodstock, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Woodstock, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, schedule, advancement opportunities, peopke

Cons

Micro management at all levels

Advice to Management

Reward your front-line employees as well as your managers; loyalty bonuses should apply at all job levels

"MET (merchandising execution team)"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are decent, hardworking, hourly types. This is not a place made up of silver spoons. I'd say most people fit into the 40 years old and under or the 55 and over crowd. There are many retired folks from other walks of life that are working as associates to "get out of the house" or to stay viable. They are mostly all very good people.
    Upper management seems very hands off. They don't treat you differently. In fact, I'd say they are nicer than most upper management at other retail businesses I've worked at.
    The nature of the hardware/construction supply retail business is lowkey vs. grocery, costco, or sports equipment. There are no real incentives to liquidate stuff. Stuff goes on sale, but that timing, prices, and location within the store are determined by corporate.

Cons

There are always the usual personal stuff(people that just don't get along with certain people) and I'm sure there is some level of politics but I don't care or get involved in any of that stuff. The immediate supervisor I have is not from a pretentious or college background BUT she works hard and has been with HD for more than a decade. I respect that.
    Again, there are many older, retired folks who have completed careers in many other fields so this adds to the makeup of your working peers. I think this is a unique attribute to the HD.

Advice to Management

More introductions, more chances to meet and introduce yourselves other than just a pic in the breakroom.

6. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Topeka, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Set schedule, great benefits, bonuses, espp....

Cons

No air conditioning, not enough recognition through homer awards, merchandising team and store side need better relationship.

Advice to Management

Bring it to the store side team that M.E.T team is the driving force in the store. Store sides biggest responsibility is customers. M.E.T team is what keeps the store going. We as M.E.T team are the people that have the biggest responsibility in how the store works. We get very very little appreciation.

"Really Great Company, Read Invisible Print"

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent/steady hours
    Some available benefits for part-timers
    Theme days
    Free food
    Caring HR

Cons

-Communication with upper-management for MET is inconsistent. Aside from day shift MET supervisors, they are constantly traveling, so it's understandable. The problem is trying to make themselves appear more available, friendlier and caring than they actually are. They are apt to text you at their convenience about important issues during your shift and get a bit miffed if you don't respond within a time frame that suits them (even if you are trying to wait till break). They can and will be upset if they see you on your phone, even if you are responding to a text sent by upper management. I usually have my phone on silent while working, if I'm carrying it at all, and have been approached several times by management asking me if I had gotten their text, and why I haven't responded. I don't like leaving my work just to walk to the other side of the store to the break room to check a text, respond, go back to work and do it all over again. It wastes time.

-It is very easy for the MET Supervisor to have favorites and bend the rules. I have seen this with more than one supervisor. Because MET is technically the corporate side, there is no one on the store side that could really say/do anything other than be a witness if you wanted to file a complaint. Because the higher levels of management associated with MET visit infrequently and mainly meet with the MET Supervisor, it is very easy to be misrepresented as an MEA.

-Certain HR messages in the morning meetings are geared toward full-timers and as a result, many part-timers believe they have more benefits than they actually do. This can put them in a very undesirable positions, especially in regards to health benefits.

-As an MEA, you will probably know where most, if not everything in the store is located. As such, any time you are in a department, customers will ask you about products, or where a product is, and you will most likely have the information. If the department is understaffed, you will be pulled away from you work to find an associate who can help, or just help the customer yourself. There is nothing about this that bothers me except we are timed for each job we do, so if we are taking too long it doesn't matter if the department is understaffed.

Advice to Management

In order to understand problems that could arise, talk directly to the people carrying out the work and not the supervisor who wants to impress you for the 20 minutes you're in the store. You will get a more accurate depiction of what goes on in the workplace if you talk to the people who are actually carrying out the orders. It may take a little more time, but it will save you much more time in the long run.

Do not misrepresent yourself or the people who work for you to vendors. If you do not know the details of the work you're promising can be done, try doing it hands-on to understand limitations. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, a simple 5-minute conversation with the person expected to carry out the job will do.

Do not over-extend yourself without actually over-extending yourself. It is not necessary to visit our store once a month and drive your open-door policy if you do not have the time. "Active listening" as a person with authority means being proactive. People can tell if you are taking them seriously or if you are pretending to. Because Home Depot really is a great place to work, and MET typically has guaranteed hours, MEAs will not attempt to seek contact with district and regional managers unless there is a real issue. Please take the time to listen.

Try not to drive the idea that you have more time or emotional/personal investment than you actually have. It wastes time and energy on all sides.

Please be clearer about benefits that are ***NOT AVAILABLE*** to part-time associates. It may motivate them to up their game to become full-time associates, as a lot of employees are supporting their families and not just themselves.

8. "Home depot"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Hudson, WI
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Hudson, WI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a good job very physical

Cons

Not very good pay for what you do

Advice to Management

Give me a raise

9. "Hard work with very little pay"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's easy to get hired.

Cons

Large quantities of heavy work for little pay.

Advice to Management

Pay employee what they are worth.

"Not a career employer"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Duluth, MN

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, steady hours, M.E.T. Has a Set Schedule and weekends off.

Cons

Pay sucks. Been here 4 years and still have new associates being hired at the same pay rate I’m at.

Advice to Management

Need to increase pay for the associates that have been here awhile and have more responsibilities than the new associates. It’s degrading to me as a supposedly valued associate to have new associates making the same wage.