The Home Depot Reviews in Mississippi | Glassdoor

Updated 7 Oct 2019

3.6
The Home Depot CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
  1. "Best Customer service job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Answering phones; opening and payments on accounts; assisting customers

Cons

No downsides; loved every experienced & knowledge gained!

The Home Depot2019-10-07
  2. "I loved it there."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Olive Branch, MS

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Co-workers. Great Managers, Plenty of things to learn, each day was totally different. Awesome crew of people.

Cons

Part time hours are a little hard. Would like more full time positions to be available.

The Home Depot2018-10-10

"I Like My Job At Home Depot"

Tool Rental Associate in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at The Home Depot for less than a year

Pros

It's a company you can grow with

Cons

They cut too many cashier hours.

Advice to Management

More hours for the front end... Our customers notice that the registers are closed, and they are not getting the best service due to lack of employees, and low morale due to cutting hours. You're losing a lot of great people.

The Home Depot2018-07-30

"HDE Consultant"

Former Employee - HDE Sales Consultant in Biloxi, MS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big tax write offs for the mileage you travel. Health insurance.

Cons

Awful. Overpriced products priced even higher due to local building code requirements. You stand no chance. If you do happen to make a sale and the homeowner gets any comparison quote, your sunk. Half the sales I made were cancelled after the sale. Too high for market. You must have another income to survive.

Advice to Management

I was let go last November for low sales volume. Positions at both local stores are still not filled. How’s that working out for you. HD? Management means well but are clueless. 3 sales managers during my tenure. Commission only is great in a competitive environment. You’re not competitive or even close. If you can sell windows for $1200 each, jump right in there.

The Home Depot2018-08-20

"I love my Orange-Blooded Family!! Whooo!"

Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Horn Lake, MS

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working at The Home Depot! When I first started, our former store manager was very nice, warm, and welcoming. All of the assistant managers are fair. They recognize hard workers and they do not take advantage of their employees who do put in extra work. If you provide excellent customer service, deliver on your orange promise, and work your scheduled shifts they will reward you! With that being said, they... will not tolerate laziness and constant socializing (we call it a "pumpkin patch") when there is always work to be done. I've worked at places where the managers or the owners show you no respect and they will take advantage of you as if you do not have a choice to change work jobs. They're always asking how you're doing and they will pull you aside if they think something is wrong or something's heavy on your mind. Not to mention the free lunches and brunches for the store. Oh and not to mention, success share!! I love my job and I've literally never said this about no job, ever!

Cons

It can get a little hectic. Sometimes customers will exaggerate on how long they've had to wait for assistance in hopes on getting a deal on an expensive appliance. Oh and having to hear a customer say "I'll just have to go to Lowes" when you can't give them what they want because it is not an in-stock item or they'll have to wait more than a day to get it.

Advice to Management

None at all. You all rock! You all make this job fun and enjoyable. Management and store associates are what make me love my orange-blooded family!!!! I'm actually in tears thinking about you guys!

The Home Depot2018-04-11
  6. "Department Suervisor"

Former Employee - Department Manager Supervisor in Madison, MS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Home Depot has great benefits healthcare vision and dental. 401K and buying stock , helps with continuing education,

Cons

The room for advancement is there but when you get to ASM advancement there is not a lot of room to advancement and the turn over does not happen all that often

Advice to Management

the room for advancement is there from part time to full time associate then to department supervisor.

The Home Depot2018-04-28
  7. "Sales Pro"

Former Employee - SalesPro in Madison, MS

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

The store is very spacious.

Cons

Training is weak. Turnover including management. Pay increase is bad.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of promoting. Train. Lead by example instead of punishment.

The Home Depot2017-11-12

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, MS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great stock program, Great 401K matching program, Fair insurance benefits, decent pay increases and good people overall. Excellent company to work for as long as you aren't one of the ones doing the heavy work. Steady and secure work to support a family.

Cons

Very physical work - especially if full-time and you have a good work ethic. Repetitive heavy lifting from floor. They do not try hard enough to 'save their employees backs'. High turnover of management - no in-store human resource person to speak to. If you have an issue, your only chance to get help is the hot line number to corporate. Otherwise management does what they want whether it is right or... not- and that all depends on the current store management. Will most often deny your vacation requests or will make you wait until a week / week and a half before to let you know that you will be able to take off. This is even if you request months in advance. Management makes huge bonuses off of the labor of associates who may be rewarded with a hundred dollars as a yearly bonus.

Advice to Management

Do more to minimize the risk of injury to employees with heavy lifting. Don't reward the most hardworking among you with even heavier work. Increase bonuses for the "little people" who are working to make The Home Depot a successful company. Allow employees to choose when they will take their vacations that they have earned.

The Home Depot2017-11-14
  9. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Jackson, MS

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

the people I worked with made it fun. Customers were friendly , for the most part . Customer service , efficient customer service is strongly encouraged. My store was big on customer service.

Cons

Guys flirt a lot, staff and customers . Not a huge deal though, just stay in your lane

The Home Depot2017-11-16
  10. "Awesome place to work no matter how old you are! Cashier!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, they actually care about you, and great work experience all around! Flexible work schedule! Fun place to work!

Cons

It gets boring sometimes as a cashier. Kinda hard to get a lot of credit applications. But other than that nothing I can think of to complain about. Everything is great.

Advice to Management

Lower the credit applications goal each week.

The Home Depot2017-10-29