The Home Depot Reviews in New Orleans, LA | Glassdoor

3.2
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You learn a lot on the job when you are a cashier, or when you are a lot attendant (in 205 reviews)

• Benefits for part-time employees (in 754 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is usually unbalanced (in 475 reviews)

• Hard to get into a full time job (in 863 reviews)

1. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Tore Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Tore Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Strength of Company, company ethics, direction and forward thinking

Cons

retail weekends nights turnover Part time

Advice to Management

average hourly payroll to decrease turnover

"MET"

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending what type of work you like, if you enjoy building and resetting merchandise this is a good job. Day teams do more bay maintenance and product pricing. This is not a regular in store customer service job.

Cons

The stores are starting to short staffed and customers are looking for anybody to help them. While we don't mind doing that as well, it makes it harder to complete the job that we are actually supposed to be doing. In the merchandise service world this is a lower paying job.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to add to management at this time. Being an employee you are always subject to different supervisors. You can only hope that you get along with your management team.

"Varies, depending on where you're working, but overall a descent experience."

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in New Orleans, LA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great energy is usually flowing throughout the store, with great people to work with. There's also a system set up to reward those who stand out and go above and beyond just the necessary.

Cons

Due to some less than subtle favoritism, the systems to reward those that go above and beyond. Also, there's more times than not going to be management who haven't been properly trained to appropriately interact with associates they disagree with.

Advice to Management

To be more proactive in making sure management stays neutral in resolving workplace disputes. As well as objectively designate those who work hardest and show the most improvement.

4. "Different Strokes"

Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have competitive base pay, paid training, there is a family environment and people are more likely to shop on a weekday.

Cons

Morale has decreased, associates get used all over the store but aren't properly rewarded for their hard work, management schedules less people than needed and there isn't an employee discount.

Advice to Management

Less delegation, more appreciation.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

Pros

You will meet great customers

Cons

Will over work good ppl, shows favoritism, hostile enviornment, not protected by managers, terrible dept. supervisors

Advice to Management

Hear the employees out because they are the ones on the floor with customers

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Great company, great benefits, face paced enviornment,

Cons

limited hours, low pay,thats about it

Advice to Management

unlimited

Jul 9, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

"Unfair practices going on at The Home Depot in New Orleans"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have flexible schedules and if you can deal with the nonsense/unfairness that's in your face there you might can get somewhere in the company until they pick with you, each department should be paid differently for the task at hand ain't to much to say good about the company.

Cons

The Home Depot is totally about dictatorship that's what I get they are very contradictory here they want you to give your life and all your knowledge to the company that they didn't give you and they want it for free. They give you all the training and certification just for a title your pay does not reflex the title like specialist, certified and licensed, I always heard from the S.M., A.S.M and the D.S. That you do not need to know how to build a house to be productive and helping customers it's an home improvement store so knowing how to build a house should be valuable to them but that's the encouragement they give you, their are people that works are have worked in the construction industry and there knowledge and experiences doesn't stand for nothing in the pay they want you to do and know how to do everything in the building outside of your job title/position for the same pay which is $8 to $10 an hour and the success sharing is a juke the employees that makes the success sharing possible gets the smallest piece, all the success sharing goes to the Store Manager the Assist Store Manger and the Dept. Supervisor, why not split it evenly are give a bigger percentage to the associates we plays a big part in it. At this home depot there are authority figures do things purposely so they can write you up are fire you it like entrapment/premeditated creating an hostile environment there's no good leadership you have to go outside of your character to work there you have to be a back stabber, a rat, are a brown noser just to fix in all for $10. Some people wants to take advantage of what they do have to offer but it make it hard when you are uncomfortable and in fear of losing your job which open doors for mistakes since there are so big on safety always understaffed and want you to do the job of 5 men. You have to be full time to get decent benefits they only prefer to hire part timers who only gets discount programs that comes out of your check and no hours so every two weeks a about $350 to $500 are smaller is what you see for the kind of company and the money they make the pay sucks you can't make a living working there so you have to get a second job and they do give some people problem for having a second job unnecessary stress THIS IS AN AT WELL STATE / UNFAIR and that's what they lean on.

Advice to Management

Work with your associate not against them keep your dogs on a leash the nonsense/stress should not outweigh the pay by a big margin you are losing good associate for nothing.

"Disappointed in Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you keep your head down, and ignore the everyday b/s, you get a paycheck and good retirement options/ investments. If you have a good management team, your experience in the store will be great.

Cons

I work nights part-time, as I have a day job. The past year, I've been at a new store. I'm very disappointed in my new place. Most department heads don't do their job, there are 2 assistant managers that know what they are doing, and 2 that don't. I've seen the manager 2ce (store meetings) in the past year. I feel most of the work is put on my shoulders to run the department. I have to do packdown and put all freight up for my department, so they are getting two employees out of me. Almost everything in my department by Home depot standards require 2 people to lift it, but I'm told to do it or quit. No homer awards at this store, when they were frequent at my old store (plus a friendliest employee award for the district and two all star awards). Awards are given to some deserving employees, but more so "friends" here, and even department heads, which didn't happen at my old store. The store is also given a fund to feed the employees. This is for day shift only here. When the dayshift has food, any left overs are for afternoon/ night crew. My old store would have 3 different small parties for the shifts, with food only for them. Here for Thanksgiving, there was a ham bone left (no meat) and potato salad that had been sitting out all day. 4 night crew people got food poisoning. Christmas I was told I wasn't invited to the party because I hadn't been with the store a year (I transferred in September). They did have food for us at our last store meeting. My biggest complaint is the first phone. Here they are for the department heads, and are stored in their lockers. I've had one perhaps 6 times since January, only if I find someone forgot to "hide" it. We had a big walk recently, and I noticed after my picture was hung, stating I was the winner of an award. I asked about it, and was told they had to make it look nice for the walk. Didn't really happen. Our store gets good sales, because of the location, and being stocked well. I work with a lot of unhappy people though, and I see myself turning bitter. I don't like the person I'm becoming working at this location.

Advice to Management

First phones for everyone, and extra batteries so that they can be charged. Separate employee party meals. Afternoon and night crew shouldn't be expected to eat scraps left over from others, especially when there is nothing left because dayshift took home the leftovers. Check into what employees are saying/ thinking about their department heads. If awards are being given out to the same few people, check to see if you are overlooking afternoon or night crew. Dayshift gets more sales, but that doesn't mean we don't work hard at night also. Manager should come in at night once in a while to check on how the night/ overnight management team is working. Our overnight management team needs an overhaul. People sitting around doing nothing, while they make me stay 2 hours after we close to do their work. I'm a long term employee ready to quit.

May 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

9. "Great place to work for a first job."

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are great to work with
    Friendly and welcoming environment
    Stating pay is not that bad

Cons

No consistent schedule
    No offer for full time

Nov 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

"Ok Place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

corporate has a program for those in need. base pay is decent. receieve sick pay and vacation after 90 days.

Cons

the company does not hire full time unless they are management and will not promote to full time unless someone quits, which is rare. they do not provide enough hours to be a steady income.

Advice to Management

please take into consideration that employees below managment have bills just as well as you and needc a steady pay check too.

Showing 11 of 17,363 reviews