The Home Depot Reviews in North Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Must create your own work/life balance" (in 532 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 932 reviews)

1. "Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in North Chicago, IL

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy working most of my fellow employees as well as serving our customers and always go above and beyond the requirements to achieve customer satisfaction.

Cons

Currently all of The Home Depot stores are scheduling their full time employees on various shifts, including weekends and as of next year, we will be open on Thanksgiving Day! There are NEVER 2 weeks at any given point in time where full timers are on set schedules, and to make matters worse, they schedule us either to open our departments at 6am Mon-Sat and then then next day, we can be scheduled to close our departments from 2pm to 11pm Mon-Sat and on Sunday's, the shifts usually start at 8am or you can be scheduled to close until 10pm, even though the stores close at 8pm! The departments schedules are published anywhere from 2-3weeks in advance, and it's hard to plan your life because of this! Also, if you have any reason to require a specific shift for even 1day each week, for example if you attend church on Sunday mornings and request either NOT to be scheduled to work Sunday's each week, or if you put in a request to work a later shift on Sunday's, like 12:00-9pm, management is NOW telling the full time employees that they can no longer accommodate these types of requests and recommend you consider going part time if you need to go to church!!

Advice to Management

Treat your full time employees with more respect and have a ton more consideration for their requests, their faith, and reasons for requesting certain set schedules! You treat the part timers with SO much more respect and consideration because their requests to work set days with set hours are accommodated without issue! And start treating your LONG term full time employees with more respect and stop making their lives MISERABLE the closer they reach an anniversary of employment, i.e. 5, 10 and even 15-20 year anniversary dates! This clearly tells us that the company doesn't want to keep us around because the wages and the cost of benefits go up, the vacation times increase, etc. And finally, when I left my store on good terms in 2004 because my career employer called me back after laying me off after 9/11/01, I was making almost $16/hr....when I was rehired by the SAME store for the SAME FULL TIME SPECIALIST position a little more than 4 years later, they brought me back at only 9.70/hr and said its only temporary until I relearn the position. Let me just say that I'm still there and am ONLY making $10.50/hr today or just over $21,700/yr! And the biggest slap in my face is that when I looked up the average pay for other ful time specialists at Home Depot IN MY REGION, their average pay is $28,000 - $33,000 to start!!!! I'll stop here because I can go ON about the 'cliques' that kiss managements' butts and if you're not with them, they will make your life at work a living hell!!!! The benefits are great, and that's about it!!!

Showing 1 of 20,056 review