The Home Depot Reviews in Norwalk, CT | Glassdoor

2.7
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • learn a lot of different skills and trades that help in the real world (in 208 reviews)

• Benefits for part-time employees (in 763 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is usually unbalanced (in 479 reviews)

• Hard to get into a full time job (in 870 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Specialist in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Specialist in Norwalk, CT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HD at the time offered good benefits

Cons

The scheduling was the most challenging. Days off were spread out, no consistent work schedule.

Advice to Management

Give full time employees weekends off. Schedule the part time employees on the weekends and for closings.

"Questions"

Former Employee - Cashier/Returns Associate in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier/Returns Associate in Norwalk, CT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall The company did not care about their employees; only sales, credit cards and the customers.

Cons

Good pay and a lot of hours

Advice to Management

More flexible and constructed schedule because people do have a life outside of your company such as school, another job, family, and be more open to employees concerns.

"BAD COMPANY to the CORE"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Norwalk, CT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anyone can get a job during early spring. The work is easy. The hours are good. The pay and benefits are decent.

Cons

They hire people for the busy season and then fire them with made up complaints to avoid paying unemployment insurance. Because this is what they do there is no reason to do evaluations or give anyone a warning before any of their pink-slip firing which should be a clue for improper management by the company and the labor authorities. They treat their employees like mindless sheep, even if they have college degrees and experience above the managers levels. There is a lot of nepotism in their advancement in the company. Where I worked there was a small group of insiders (many that were related by marriage or blood) who ran the whole place, like a mafia. Corporate was totally unaware of what was happening in their own stores, or didn't care or were okay with it.

Advice to Management

If you care about people and running a good business, you need to invest in some major under cover internal reviewing of your store operations and weed out the bad apples or keep doing things the way you are. Just don't wonder why your losing so much community support and access to quality employees.

Sep 18, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

"Worst Civilian job I've ever had. Period."

Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Norwalk, CT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Easy to get hired, tend to be in a constant state of hiring.
    -The work in and of itself (not the ensuing nonsense) is fairly straightforward and easy.
    -Technically (not practically) it is possible to move up in this company. Hard work and competence are NOT the ticket though.
    -That is all.

Cons

Too many to bulletpoint, but I will try. I apologize ahead of time for the length.

-The aforementioned pro of "always hiring" is negated here, because the reason they are always hiring is because they are constantly firing. Turnaround at this company is atrocious, it is a meat-grinder. They either find a reason to fire you, or make you so miserable that they push you out the door. If you need proof, simply visit the same home depot every month over the course of a year. Take note of all the different faces you see each time.
    -Horrible pay. Typically more than minimum wage, but still very shoddy, even if you're experienced and educated.
    -Absolutely abysmal treatment of employees. You are there to be abused and thrown away.
    -Management/Leadership is extremely hostile and unprofessional, worst aspect of the job.
    -They will attempt to ensure you can't hold down another part time job (which you will need because of the pay) by harassing you and changing your hours constantly.
    -They don't lay people off. If the company decides it wants to cut hours or they believe you make too much money, instead of laying you off (which they would have to report), they build a false case against you in order to fire you under disciplinary reasons. This means that your resume gets messed up, and you can't use them as a reference. It is vindictive. Did not happen to me, but I've seen it happen to good associates too many times.
    -Training is horrific. Because of the previously mentioned cons, they don't bother to train associates (why invest in you if you'll be getting fired soon anyway?). They reduce floor hours so they can't spare taking you off the floor to train. This gives HD its well deserved reputation for horrible customer service. Associates get blamed, but this is a top down management flaw that is inherent in this company.
    -Good work ethic does not pay off here. The company operates off of cronyism, friends and "acquaintances" will advance via ruthlessness and connections, while hard workers get ground to dust carrying the weight.
    -Cult-like "culture" and atmosphere, constant tension and hostility.
    -Will put you in unsafe scenarios and demand that you work without proper precautions, while at the same time publicly seeming to follow regulations and standards. This way, if you get hurt the blame falls on you, you can't sue or gets workers comp, and end up getting fired. Once again, I managed to avoid this pitfall but I've seen it happen at least twice.

I could write an essay on this, with an accompanying power point. However, I've wasted enough time on the Home Despot in my life, I managed to get out (Thank God), and I won't waste any more of my time. I only did this so as to warn potential employees away. If you absolutely need employment, obviously go for it. You need to immediately see about getting a new job though, don't ever give up or stop, it took me almost 3 years but I managed to pull myself up. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Management should quit and never take a position that allows authority over another human beings life. Clear the way for intelligent competent people, who possess good morals and ethics, to lead this company.

Mar 12, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

5. "Home depot is a great customer service oriented retail establishment."

Current Employee - Garden Associate in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Garden Associate in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Home depot has excellent benefits to offer for employees and family making it a very secured company to work for.

Cons

I feel that home depot should open till 12 that way last minute customers can feel and see the passion that employees have when assisting customers and building relationships.

Advice to Management

Request to corporate about changing store hours to benefit night shoppers and gain more revenue which can create more for employees and dedicated shoppers.

Sep 5, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is customer service.

Showing 5 of 17,603 reviews