The Home Depot Reviews in Norwich, CT | Glassdoor

3.1
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 222 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 806 reviews)

Cons
  • "Tough to have a good work/life balance" (in 522 reviews)

• "I still can not get a full time position" (in 915 reviews)

1. "Always changing, all for the better."

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Waterford, CT

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're onboard, great opportunity. This company has endless opportunities. Stock options, health benefits are endless. Vacation, sick time. It goes on and on and on.

Cons

It's all about corporate profits, we are people not just a name on a line up.

Advice to Management

Compassion, we always talk about it. I've never seen so many homeless associates.

2. "Home Depot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisbon, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisbon, CT

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some associates treat you like family, some loyal customers can be amazing and easy to form a retail relationship, benefits

Cons

Almost all customers at Customer service are rude and inconsiderate, assistant managers never help and one doesn't even know the computer system and will often make the job 10x more difficult by making parts of his job your job even when clearly packed with customers. Get yelled at a lot. pay is 11 dollars which is the starting pay for cashiers, do 10x the amount of work for the same pay. NOT WORTH THE AMOUNT OF STRESS FOR 11 DOLLARS. You have more jobs than you are supposed to and too much to keep up with and no respect from anyone

Advice to Management

Learn ESVS system thoroughly, when asked to come to the desk don't say you cant or try to get associated to call other people, we are calling the MANGER for a reason

3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Cashier in Waterford, CT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Holiday pay
    Paid sick time
    Paid time off
    Family type environment
    Veteran/disabled friendly
    Team oriented workplace

Cons

Nothing really worth mentioning overall

4. "Not a living wage, but good job for somebody already collecting a pension."

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Montville, CT
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Montville, CT

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They'll put all the information that you need to succeed in front of you--it's up to you to use that information and make yourself successful. You'll learn the ins-and-outs of retail: how to work within a computerized tracking system, you'll get to work with other professionals from outside the company (i.e., installers and sales reps from the manufacturers), track your performance against others who have your position, track inventory, maintain your sales floor, and you'll get to finely tune your salesmanship skills.

Benefits:

Health Insurance - The health insurance options are less than stellar. This really surprised me considering the huge pool of employees that pay into the system. The options ranged from absolutely terrible HDHP options that would run you a little under $100, to PPO options that would have eaten up easily 50% of my paycheck. I pay less now for a better plan and the company I work for has less than 20 people on the insurance. Explain that one...

401k - Home Depot will match $3.50 to every $5.00 you invest into your retirement plan up to 5% of your income. The plan can be personalized or you can opt-in to a really solid BlackRock Mutual Fund. This is a huge benefit; the only downside is that you have to dip into your already pitiful paycheck to try to make this a reality. I was investing 5% of my bi-weekly paycheck, this meant knocking my take home down from roughly $650 bi-weekly to $600.

Tuition Reimbursement - This was by far the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Home Depot gave me $3,000.00 a year (maximum you can get through them) towards my college tuition. It's a bit tough to qualify though. The main stipulations were that you have to be studying something that pertains to the business (For example, I study Business Administration = eligible), you have to work full-time, and I believe you have to go to school full-time -- I can't remember if part-time students qualified, I'm a full-time student. Needless to say, I doubt all that many people are going to be able to take advantage of this, but those who can will appreciate it.

"Success Sharing" - Based off of the entire store's performance Vs. plan (corporate sales forecast). The amount an employee takes home is also based off of hours worked during the half (success sharing happens every 6 months) and their position. I've received "success sharing" checks as low as $40.00 and as high as $550. I guess this is a benefit, but it's a far cry from a program that fosters the individual to try their best.

I can confidently say that my Home Depot experience played a part in landing my current job. After just shy of three years with HD, I went from making approximately $25,000.00 (including tuition reimbursement and all other bonuses) a year at Home Depot to a $35,000 annual, pre-bonus, salary.

Cons

They do not pay people enough money to live off of, even after several years of service.

Management has a tendency to hang the "Golden Carrot" in front of your face - in terms of advancement. The fact of the matter is that it is very competitive to move up. Management will try to motivate you to capture sales with the guise that you could move up the ranks until the point of making a 6-figure income if you play your cards right. The fact of the matter is that you need to be an ASM or a Store Manager if you want to make enough money to actually live off of.

Certainly plenty of politicking.

Nobody who writes a schedule for HD has ever heard of Circadian Rhythm. I could work until 10Pm the night before and then be scheduled to be back in for the morning shift.

The Home Depot Response

Dec 30, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

5. "My experience was good overall, until they changed the store manager."

Former Employee - Hardware Department Manager in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Hardware Department Manager in New London, CT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons I enjoyed working there was the freedom they gave me to create on the job. They gave me an opportunity to learn new building techniques and management skills. My store was special in that we all got along and everyone helped each other, however, all stores are not the same.

Cons

Some members of the senior management team at many HD Stores can be incompetent with respect to their work or their department. If a manager lacks the proper skills, she/he needs to depend more on his/her front line associates for support and understanding, however, most department managers will never acknowledge this obvious fact. This makes working at HD a little difficult sometimes when you have to report to someone who is not qualified for the position or not willing to learn. That is the biggest CONS I found at some of the HD stores.

Advice to Management

My advice to management. Learn to give out specific tasks to each employee in your dept. and be clear and specific. Explain to them how a job should be done and then let them manage the task on their own as if they own the department. Stop micro managing employees in your department if you're not totally familiar with a new department. (i.e. If you've been working in the paint department for 5 years and then get promoted to the Hardware department, find someone in the dept. who can help you get up to speed fast or delegate your duties to the person with more experience. Doing this will help everyone at HD to win in the long term!

The Home Depot Response

Feb 12, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s Retail network. We appreciate your feedback.

Showing 5 of 19,349 reviews