The Home Depot Operations Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
  1. "Night ops"

Current Employee - Night Operations Assistant Store Manager in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture and benefits and work life balance

Cons

Overnight hours and training for new hires

Advice to Management

Na

The Home Depot2019-05-21
  2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You learn all aspects of the retail industry, building your skills in many areas. Many opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Although it is retail and it is a requirement to have a flexible schedule, you worked most weekends and holidays so, therefore, having a good work-life balance was a challenge.

The Home Depot2019-09-06
  3. "Great place to work - lack of commitment to the core values"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing associates with programs such as The Homer Fund that assist associates in need through hard/difficult times. Advance at your pace.

Cons

Upper management sets unrealistic expectations. Performance management programs are not adhered to and lack of accountability to ensure transparent efficiency.

Advice to Management

Look beyond first impressions. People can be developed into solid leaders. However, without the interpersonal skills and transparent communication no buy in will occur.

The Home Depot2019-03-11

"Operations Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Ridgecrest, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Great Pay - Good Leadership - Promote From Within

Cons

- Work Life Balance - Excessive Hours

Advice to Management

Find a way to encourage a better work life balance for the managers in the building. This will result in better return on investment and retention

The Home Depot2018-03-06

The Home Depot Response

March 7, 2018Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

5. "I love working for the Home Depot because it provide associates and customers with life changing experiences daily."

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Manager (OAM) in Pinconning, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits with great opportunity to advance. They are a family oriented company that takes great care of the people.

Cons

Excessive hours for Assistant managers leaving very little time for activities outside of work. This leads to difficulty when trying to plan family activities.

The Home Depot2017-09-01

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Manager incentive program. Opportunity for advancement. Great benefits. Good training program. Many different types of jobs. Excellent CEO and upper level staff. The company goes above and beyond to provide for associates.

Cons

Seniority is weighted unofficially by some in upper level management. Corporate employees need to spend more time in stores to see how things actually operate on a day to day basis. Inconsistent scheduling.

Advice to Management

More time spent in stores by SSC employees. More SSC employees reaching out to store side for feedback and advice before rolling out programs. Consistent scheduling or consistent days off for salaried ASM's. I know we get paid very well to have crazy schedules, but SM's & DM's get paid better and have consistent scheduling. It would be better for our health and well being.

The Home Depot2017-01-30

"Core value driven"

Former Employee - Operations Assistant Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is core value driven, and focuses on supporting veterans programs in store communities which is wonderful. A good place to maintain an experienced entry level position or grow to middle management.

Cons

Associates develop a great capacity to be able to "turn on a dime" which generates substantial wasted labor hours. Owning your own development is good, but not when your requests for training and development are ignored.

Advice to Management

The is still a residual "Good Ole Boy" network that is holding highly talented people back from being promoted beyond ASM level. Annual training for salaried staff should be reinstated to develop all team members, and not solely focused on just a few deemed high potential.

The Home Depot2017-02-04

"Not the same company it use to be"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunity to work and learn the retail trade. Opportunity to advance as well, especially if you are a minority &/or woman. Minority women are *HIGHLY* coveted in this company to promote to management. In general, they like to promote women quite frequently. When I started with this company 12 years ago, I really bought into their policy of "taking care of our employees" & treating them as if they are... family. In the past couple of years I would say that HD has gone away from that almost completely.

Cons

There is DEFINITELY a huge change in this company. There has been an obvious shift from the original founders values to one of basically just doing the bare minimum to meet sales plan, and at any cost; including firing people simply because they make too much an hour (This after years of dedicated service.) This means letting go of GOOD, HONEST, HARDWORKING individuals who have lived and exemplified the standards... HD set forth. Now, it's all about cheap labor, and the company comes first, period. Inconsistent with handling problem employees; policies and procedures are not adhered to consistently leaving employees confused and wondering why there are different policies and procedures followed one minute, & different ones another. Managing employees is difficult with this company as sometimes discretion is left up to the Store Manager one minute, the next it is left up to ASM. No clear and precise way of handing specifc issues when they arrise even after taking concerns to upper management in an effort to resolve this issue. Employees often complain about being fearful of being fired for making miniscule mistakes. I can't say as I blame them for feeling that way as well. No one should have to feel that way ever. EXAMPLE: If there is an issue that management isn't sure how to handle, they call corporate headquarters in Atlanta. Corporate has a TEAM of lawyers who make a recommendation as to what action they feel needs taken. It is simply a recommendation mind you. That information is then passed to the appropriate management member and is either handled by them directly or the store manager. Often times any decison on firing is at said managers discretion; he or she may or may not heed corporates recommendation. Ultimately, it is up to the SM. I left after being asked to fire an employee for something other employees had not only done, but had a habit of doing repeatedly. The employee I was asked to fire had never had a write up. He was an extremely hard worker. His mistake was picking up a beverage to go on break, not paying for it, & taking it to the breakroom. He received a phone call from a customer while on the way to the breakroom, & set the drink down. (Per an investigation which included reviewing survellience footage.) He,never drank the beverage but since he didn't pay for it immediately it was seen as stealing. He was told that here firing was not in any way shape or form a reflection of her integrity or work ethic while employed by HD. They also acknowledged that he was an EXCELLENT employee who made a mistake simply because of said integrity and commitment to her job. This employee then asked if termination was at the recommendation of corporate or at the managers' joint decision. The Store Manager said that she was basing the termination on corporates reccomendation; she also conveyed that she knew she had the authority to make a decison based on her own judgement if she chose to so do so. She chose not to do so. In addition: this employee was in the process of being promoted and was one of the highest paid employees in said store and district as well. Draw your own conclusion if you will. The only thing I can POSSIBLY say to somehow remotely justify the actions taken here is that Colorado is a "right to work" state. HD isn't in the habit of simply firing people though. They make sure to document EVERYTHING so as to avoid any appearance or implication of discrimination. Based on the direction the company is going now, I would dare say the firing was prompted to "cut some fat" in order to reduce costs and meet sales plan. Secondly, District managers are terribly angry, hostile and unhappy which resonates throughout the company like a ripple effect. There is a continual change in job titles, as well as duties; coupled with shuffling of new district managers. In the 6 years I was an ASM, there were 3 different District Managers. Just when you had gotten into a rhythm of what to expect (professionally as well as specific to personality traits) a new DM was arriving. Each time the end goal was different and usually the complete opposite of said previous District Manager. Changes were made, unmade, then reinstituted once again; causing for a lack of cohesiveness throughout the store as well as the District. I understand full well that change is needed in order to grow and stay relevant in the workplace. However, fixing something that isn't broken isn't change for that purpose; it is simply changet for the sake of change. I quickly learned the hard way a majority of changes were made by DMs simply to promote THEMSELVES personally in their desire to become noticed & in hopes of further advancing their careers. Little to no feedback from store staff was considered even when specific customer complaints were offered up.

Advice to Management

My advice and input wasn't heard or listened to even when I took the time to present the above mentioned issues directly to my immediate superiors. I won't bother in rehashing it here as it is pointless. I will say I'm happy to have had the opportunity to work for HD as the skills I learned there help build who I am today. After I resigned from HD, I had 10 potential employers seek me out; this after having my... resume online for one day. My current employer is thrilled to have me on staff. Because of my personal work ethics that I honed while working for HD, I have been compensated MORE in my current job; all while having a quarter of the stress & responsibility. My work/life balance has significantly impoved as well. I'm not one for snark but honestly, after working for HD as long as I did, I don't know why I did. They really do groom you to beleive that they are the BEST retailer/employer that there is. They want you to beleive you won't find it better anywhere else. In essence, HD groomed me, put a lot of time and money into advancing my career with them to turn around an lose my respect by treating hourly employees like a chewed up piece of bubble gum. Their actions were a clear indication of what I could expect in the future as a Store Manager in training. Thankfully, I saw the writing on the wall just in time. I was fortunate enough to have 9 months of salary saved up which allowed me the opportunity to walk away from becoming another pice of bubble gum in this company. Thank you Home Depot for reminding me that a man is more than the job he does. Thanks for the all the years you invested in me; my current employer thanks you too.

The Home Depot2017-02-02
  9. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good compensation and great variety of benefits offered including 401k with match and good insurance options

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. Hard to retain talent as hourly associate aren't well compensated

Advice to Management

Need to figure out a better way to pay and keep talent. getting paid for the extra hours worked.

The Home Depot2016-11-06
  10. "Flexible Job"

Former Employee - Operations Assistant Manager

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

You provide the hours you have available and they work with it. It's a great second job

Cons

Hours are scheduled three weeks ahead of time

The Home Depot2016-08-06