The Home Depot Operations Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Must create your own work/life balance" (in 532 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 932 reviews)

1. "Love Working For Home Depot"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Colonia, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Colonia, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the job, helping customers, working with great co workers and have very good management team

Cons

Position doesent have enough hours

"Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Operations Associate
    Current Employee - Operations Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of chances of moving up, of learning new things, if you have the drive to go for it. They provide a lot of opportunities. There are also multiple programs in place for giving back to the associate. And your yearly review, done by your immediate supervisor, is what your raise is based on. The better you perform, the better the raise.

Cons

The only cons to working here is the sheer workload. Often there are not enough associates to meet work/customer demand. Every day can be stressful, going full speed. That said, just in my time here I've seen them try new things to make it work.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have is for there to be more understanding and less subtle shaming when associates actually leave work undone because they want to leave on time. Again, the work load sometimes is a lot for an associate to handle. It's a growing business.

"Overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Several different time slots available for part-time work. All employees are eligible for bonuses and PTO is pretty good as well. Stock may be purchased at a discount.

Cons

No additional pay given for additional responsibilities like operating heavy equipment. Raises given annually. Know that working there is a very physical job.

Advice to Management

Pay for performance and not just for tenure

4. "lumber & building associate"

Former Employee - Lumber and Building Material Associate *Certified Fork Lift Operator in Greensburg, PA

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working conditions, friendly co-workers, upbeat & knowledgeable supervisors

Cons

Minimal Compensation, promotions should be reviewed on monthly basis

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work !

"Working at The Home Depot"

Current Employee - Associate Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Operations Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Home Depot is a large company that can employ store associates, IT Support, and many corporate positions. It requires a vast array of personality types and skills. There are many avenues within the company to allow many types of careers to flourish.

Cons

The retail business is difficult. One must have an idea where they would want to fit in within the company.

Advice to Management

Please acknowledge that life happens outside of the 4 walls. Also acknowledge that there are many styles of management needed to manage a diverse group of associates.

6. "THD @ ATC"

Former Employee - Associate Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Operations Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting job, exposure to many operations at the technology center.

Cons

Kinda dull at times.

Jun 8, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More

7. "Was with the company for many years. Time spent making new friends has been priceless. Many locations."

Former Employee - Operations Associate
    Former Employee - Operations Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked working with people who were like minded and got along great. Locations all over so there is no need to travel far from where you live.

Cons

Compensation is very low. Time off was always an issue. Leadership only cared about making their quotas. Very limited room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Promote from within your store. When you have employees capable and wiling to learn and take on more responsibility don't just pass them up for someone you have worked for in the past or even in many cases some form of family member.

Jan 9, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all... More

8. "Operations Associate helping customer with loading and finding the right products"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Roswell, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great company, with great employee benefits, stock option for even part time employees;

Cons

hourly rate discrepancy, not many chances to change positions

Feb 19, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

9. "Worthwhile for the short-term"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of internal clubs and fundraisers to benefit the coworkers, as they also generally pay less than other stores. They offer a lot of hours and put a strong emphasis on customers first. I had to call the Awareness line after seeing a high-ranking management official treat the janitor rudely. He was responded nicely to the janitor, so their report center does work.

Cons

Low Pay. A lot of cliques like high school. High turnover, incl. supervisors. No discounts. Supervisors are also either great or just self-absorbed. A lot of success grabbers, such as supervisors taking credit for other people's work.

10. "Overall an average place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Operations Specialist (Level I Tech Support) in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They're very understanding about time off for family. The vacation and benefit packages are comprehensive. It's a good, stable job and most of the people I've worked with have been here for years and years. The company has tons of programs to keep people motivated and feeling like a team, ranging from how to stay healthy to community out reach projects. The latest CIO is all about recognition and supporting the associates who do the best work. They are always hiring and its one of the few places where an open door policy actually applies. Plus our benefits package has saved me lots of money on cell phones and store purchases during the holidays.

Cons

We get very few days off since stores are very rarely closed. Management decisions are drastic and there is never really notice of when important things change. Job security usually means that coworkers don't try and management is loathe to actually do anything about it. Bonuses and cost of living raises are minimal. When it's time to cut costs, the first thing they do is make it uncomfortable for people to want to stay. Associates end up taking abuse because nobody wants to get a bad rating on their customer surveys. There is also a lot of micro management so associates end up stressed out all day.

Advice to Management

Take the time to remember what it was like for your associates before making their lives difficult. Stop giving unrealistic expectations