The Home Depot Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Phoenix, AZ Area

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 878 reviews)

1. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home Depot takes amazing care of its employees and makes customers a priority. It is a great team to be part of.

Cons

Unable to stay with the company when I move because there is no contact center in that area. There’s really not anything bad I can say.

2. "Environment"

Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people that I work with. Always someone who can help you out if you don't know something. Overall very friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Retail is retail. You always end up getting dealt a bad hand with some customers who just don't care to treat employees with respect.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Management at my store is top notch. No complaints of them at all.

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mesa, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-flexible hours
    -very supportive management and staff

Cons

None. The store I was at had awesome co-workers. I guess the only thing would be working outside in garden during summer because of the extreme heat, but they did rotations every hr or so.

4. "Not what they make it seem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting wages for the .com side of business.

Cons

They say they provide culture but it's not quite there anymore. It used to be a fun environment but it's now become a redundant daily place of employment.

Advice to Management

Focus on your philosophy of the inverted triangle because as a front line associate, I feel like profits (which are already high) are becoming the weight that shifts that balance. Keep to what the founders wanted.

"Online Contact Center"

Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits package looked OK. I only enrolled in dental and eye care, was not interested in the medical coverage as I already have coverage elsewhere.

Cons

I left the call center my first week on the floor (after 4 weeks of training) because of my supervisor. I realized my second day on the floor this was not going to work out. Apparently I took one too many potty breaks inbetween scheduled breaks, and this was a no-no. My supervisor tried telling me that they understand that sometimes people can't hold it that long but to try to minimize getting up between those scheduled breaks. This is illegal, btw. You can't stop anyone from using the bathroom. Also, adherence. Don't tell me to adhere to my schedule, ding me because I was stuck on a call that caused me to go on break late, and then be hypocritical and not adhere to your own schedule. On my second full day, before I decided that I was just going to quit, I kept looking at my adherence and customer survey scores. Yeah, no thanks. I also disliked the fact if you were in "after call work" for more than a minute your name was blasted on a list that is shown on all screens throughout the center. A place, I was told, you didn't want to end up.

6. "Low Wages, High Expectations"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people if you're lucky. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Low wages when they expect you to have forklift training, product knowledge, expect you to approach customers and help them with their projects, expect you to drive sales, and expect you to maintain the department.
    Bad scheduling. Not enough people on the floor.

7. "Worst employer I've worked for"

Former Employee - Order Puller in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job if you need one for the time being...they're always hiring for a reason

Cons

Misleading, lying management. Horrible pay, bonuses and raises. No room for advancement if your in a position they need and want filled. I asked for help and they told me to stick it in another gear. It wasn't physically possible to do lumber orders of #372 2x8 16". I was one of thee hardest workers in the store. They also lied to me about the position being m-f 2-10pm, weekends off. I ended up working on Sunday's to which the previous days I would end up working 10-12 hour shifts ending up in overtime. To which on the last day sunday they would cut my hours so I would only get 40 hours or less. Like i wanted to stay for 10/12 hours for days in a row. I asked in the interview if i would get out on time and they said yes. They lied to me then manipulated me. I am now working for Lowe's starting at $14.50. Something that would of taken me years to accumulate at Home Depot. Much more laid back environment where they respect you as a person and employee. Something I never felt at home depot. Oh some of your coworkers will suck because they've been there so long. Grumpy farts who don't want to help. I advise everyone to stay away unless you truly need a job asap for the time being.

Advice to Management

Learn to be human and treat you employees fairly. It shouldn't be a one sided affair. You got the most out of me while screwing me over. Stop putting profit over employees. My store manager was from another planet.

"Great Company and Mgmt Team!"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Apache Junction, AZ
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Apache Junction, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family Values, Team Oriented, Integrity, Relaxed!

Cons

The pay is minimum wage, but there's always growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Raise the starting pay a little away from minimum wage. Home Depot spends a lot of time in educating and training, but if your not paying for that skillset people are going to leave for more money. Why not pay more, as opposed to spending more money on the hiring process "over and over again" and training "over and over again". You've got a great company that cares! Invest in us ! Make us want to call this place home for years to come. Other than the pay, you've got a great thing going, unfortunately I will be looking for that 12+ hour job real soon!

9. "Run don’t walk from the Tempe location."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very few supervisors are willing to do what it takes to help you and the customers and try to make it easier. Not many pros at all to speak of.

Cons

Most supervisors/managers are awful and unwilling to help. The systems are terrible and you can expect most calls to be customers yelling at you. If you are going to work here expect awful hours, terrible supervisors/managers and expect everything to be your fault. Turn over is HUGE!!

Advice to Management

Get supervisors/managers that really care and make it where reps are responsible for what they do and not for what HD does, vendors and carriers do or if customers are coming back to HD to shop. Also find a fairer way of sharing the responsibilities of the weekend shifts and don’t keep the same people working every weekend. Make the new people being hired on have weekend hours and get the others off the weekend shifts to unless they really want to work them. This would bring better morale.

10. "Fun"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed working with my team

Cons

Typical retail complaints, hours etc

The Home Depot Response

Mar 1, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Showing 225 of 18,066 reviews