The Home Depot Picker Reviews | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Must create your own work/life balance" (in 532 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 932 reviews)

1. "Very Competitive Benefits | Nice atmosphere"

Former Employee - Oder Picker in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Oder Picker in Hagerstown, MD

Pros

The home depot was very flexible with my work schedule which helped me a lot !
    I Worked at Macy's and Home Depot And this is what i think Macy's < Home depot
    Home Depot treats their employees a whole lot better

Cons

- Sunday work inst very nice

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Mostly a good experience to work at."

Former Employee - Order Picker in North Hampton, NH
    Former Employee - Order Picker in North Hampton, NH

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Easy management. Simple to follow rules.

Cons

No creativity. Can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more.

"Hard work, low pay, but good experience"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super nice people, good training, provided additional income for my family.

Cons

Standing on your feet for hours, hard laborious work, dirty work; everything is dusty and dirty. The store was always hot, even when it was cold outside. Some people do very little, while I worked my tail off which was frustrating. The training is very long, and ongoing. Everytime you turn around, you have training due. I know it's necessary but it wears on you. There is not much opportunity for advancement for those at the bottom. I would up being laid-off from my full-time work, and looked at HD positions available. I applied for a couple and had interviews. One obviously had someone already selected and my interview was a courtesy interview. The other was at the store where I was and was passed over by a young person, which is understandable but I was told that they felt that I would move on. I did after that, plus the pay is typical retail pay, and does not support a family, unless you are the Store Manager.

Advice to Management

Speak to the employees, and acknowledge their presence and the work that they do. Compliments go a long way, and many workers get burned out and leave, and all they need is to be noticed.

4. "It was decent if you had good coworkers"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Middleburg, FL
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Middleburg, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible most of the time
    The pay is good for beginners
    The job can be good with pleasant customers
    Supervisors care

Cons

Management doesn't care about family or your need to care for them nor do they truly care for your education. I was scheduled multiple times outside of my availability for school and even given 36 hour weeks in high school while taking very advanced level college classes so the stress load sucked. The management time also was unhappy with me when I received carbon monoxide poisoning from THEIR leaking propane tank. I had to show them my hospital documents multiple times showing them I was severely ill from it and I had to miss the next day at work because the doctor recommended 4 days off and I only took one just to not be an inconvenience to a poorly staffed store at the time.

"Great entry-level."

Current Employee - Order Picker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people yuo work with become good friends.

Cons

Sometimes you are overworked or the pay doesn't satisfy.

Advice to Management

Do a great job of keeping associate's happy.

"Unsafe low pay hell hole!"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Cottonwood, AZ
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Cottonwood, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy to get 40 plus hours per week.

Cons

A very unsafe work environment, understaffed so "team lifts" are left to one person. equipment is always broken. management is oblivious to most issues and outrightly rude about what they find out about. Turnover is >100% per year. the pay is low and what is promised in interviews is not granted on your paycheck... find your states minimum wage and expect no more.

Advice to Management

Learn people skills, tell the truth from the get go, and do not expect 100% completion of large projects in 20 to 30 minutes

7. "Overall Opinion"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Riverside, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As part time associate and full time student, they work well with your schedule. As well as you can get along with your co-workers off the bat.

Cons

There is no real training. You are assigned to a "coach" who teaches you what your department does. But after the first day everyone, including managers, expect you to know where everything is, and how to do everything. You can climb the corporate ladder by hard work, and they don't really care about your degrees, they won't help you climb any faster than anyone else.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with new employees often, and at least make it look like you are doing something, department supervisors look busier than upper management.

8. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Order Picker and Pro Delivery in Aspen Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Order Picker and Pro Delivery in Aspen Hill, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience working for the company has been Awesome, good work environment, my manager is the best have ever worked for, you have success
    sharing, involvement with the community

Cons

The language most of the time is unfiltered. That's my con

Advice to Management

Every associate is different. Listen to each one and address their needs differently

"Good company working to become even better"

Current Employee - General Warehouse Associate (Non-conveyable Picker) in Luckey, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots to learn, great work-life balance, many ways for associate voices to be heard, team spirit, plenty of effort to give everyone all the training they can get, several departments to work in, working three twelves means you have plenty of home and family time

Cons

HR is essentially for show. They just hand you cards with numbers to call if you have an issue. (They are too busy decorating the break room I'm guessing). The seasons fluctuate. Sometimes lots of overtime and sometimes not enough work to keep everyone there. Working three twelves mean it's fairly difficult to get a sizable amount of overtime since you still have to hit forty hours first

Advice to Management

Generally keep doing what you are doing. The programs you are opening up for associates (classes being offered, voice of the associate type meetings, safety teams, etc) are all encouraging to moral. As far as complaints, orientation and training still need re-vamping. Trainees often enter the floor confused and not prepared to actually work their areas.

10. "order puller"

Current Employee - Order Picker/Sales in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Order Picker/Sales in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent full time benefits especially for medical, retirement options like 401k and stock purchase plans, lot of classes to teach you the merchandise.

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, poor hours, unsafe conditions, and horrible employee protection. They deny me time for school and deny my father help for his epileptic seizures.

Advice to Management

fire the managers that make the stores hell, up pay, work with students and LEGALLY PROTECTED MEDICAL ISSUES, and make the place safe to work. I shouldn't enter the building wondering what will fall and injure me that day.