The Home Depot Reviews in Portland, ME | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "zero work/life balance as a salaried manager" (in 524 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 919 reviews)

1. "Awesome."

Former Employee - Cashier in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Cashier in Portland, ME

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is great. Good starting pay. Great training not just at beginning hut throughout your employment they give employee work shop before opening a few times a season.

Cons

No cons because everything was good. Wouldn't change anything.

Apr 2, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

2. "its a place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windham, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windham, ME

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The associates were great. They do a fund that helps their associates, Associate discounts page

Cons

No associate in store discount.

"Do make a career there!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Raymond, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Raymond, ME

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stock purchase plan 401k Employee discounts and coworkers now friends that have left company as myself!

Cons

No discounts, small pay increases each year due to management bonuses, poor management skills, favorites that can do no wrong given Homers Awards constantly when others deserve them, pit employees again each other, mircomanagement by ASMs from manager, do not follow SOP correctly, certain department supervisors do nothing and brag about it, employees on cell phones texting ignoring customers and the list goes on. THD brags about all their energy savings but employees and customers suffer with extreme heat in stores as they think it is okay not to cool store properly. Bottom line do not make a career at THD!

Advice to Management

Cooler stores in summer, treat each and every employee at the same level not by job title or if a favorite of management, more Homer Awards given out, no personal cell phones as you have store phone, higher pay increases,

4. "Dept. Manager"

Former Employee - Inventory Associate Department Head in Old Orchard Beach, ME
    Former Employee - Inventory Associate Department Head in Old Orchard Beach, ME

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to promote from within Constant training and review programs Most associates are willing to assist and help a person reach most of the goals needed to succeed

Cons

Upper management has lost site of the average associate and their need to feel a part of a team The pay scale is very unfair

5. "head cashier"

Former Employee - Trainer & Head Cashier in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Trainer & Head Cashier in Portland, ME

Pros

Home depot was a good place to work

Cons

advancement wasnt the best for the time i was there

"Some positive, but not where it counts."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly good people. Management has changed once since I was hired, for the better. Co-workers share the common goal of getting to the end of the day. Customers are interesting and appreciative when you show them courtesy and attend to their ideas and help them solve problems. Have met a wide array of personalities, with fascinating stories, sometimes connected to their project, sometimes just life stories. Good opportunity to gain product knowledge that will be valuable in a real job.

Cons

Large company has no sense of what matters at the associate level. Scheduling, staffing and coverage are based on some formula that doesn't necessarily connect with what actually has to get done or where resources are truly needed.
    Co-workers share the common goal of getting to the end of the day and going home.
    Hourly wage is insultingly low. Miniscule raises once a year. There are aspects of this job that I enjoy and learn from, and some of the company efforts to do good things for the employees are honorable, but I would be much more likely to feel good about working there if I were to be paid at least half again as much.
    Corporate message to employees is that they value their associates above all else. Lip service. No money where the mouth is.

Advice to Management

Pay people a living wage.

Jun 19, 2015 – Client Partner

7. "Better than most retail"

Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Portland, ME

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beyond everything it's a big box retail store. Wages are fair, above minimum. The one thing I enjoy about HomeDepot is the lax atmosphere, dress code isn't too strict (jeans/khakis and collared shirt). You can pick up some very useful skills for the future if you ever plan to own a home.

Cons

Depends on the store but managment can be very iffy. Some assistant managers can be super stars and others can be outright lazy. Monday's are the worst when every member of management disappears for hours for a Monday meeting DURING peak hours.

"Great job to learn " how to" and to help lots of people"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biddeford, ME

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about home improvement and decorating inside/out, very friendly staff (mostly) company offers many employee incentives and support venues

Cons

Hours were horrible if you are new, you get the junk. SM can make or break the store, unfortunately mine was not experienced enough to be running the store, sexual harassment is horrible and if you say anything you're treated horrible! Pay is awful for what is asked of you, the hard work you put in and everything you deal with on a daily basis..advancement is only for the "click"

Advice to Management

Get more experience before running such a high volume store, be more visible and helpful to your associates, support your associates , don't turn a blind eye to sexual harassment!

Feb 25, 2014 – Client Partner

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We have shared your feedback with others. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

9. "Good part time job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, ME

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours fit into my limited availability. Overall, management and coworkers are pleasant to work with. Opportunities to advance my role and career within the company are available.

Cons

Scheduling can be a crap shoot; to request a day off I need to put in my request 3+ weeks ahead of time. If I don't put in the request soon enough the best I can hope for is to find someone within my department who is willing and able to swap shifts with me, which is very difficult because only a few people work in the same department and often they are working during the hours I want to swap or I cannot take their shift because I am working or unable to work those hours. Also our scheduled hours for the week can often be changed only a couple of days in advance and without notice.

Feb 7, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

10. "Every store is different"

Current Employee - Designer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Designer in Portland, ME

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent wage, for the most part friendly atmoshere

Cons

Work every weekend if full time, hours vary from 6AM-10PM any given day.

Advice to Management

If an associate is awarded regional recognition it should mean something, not be ignored. Associates should be recognized for their strengths and helped thru there weaknesses, not constantly reprimanded for weakness. It is your job to uplift and inspire your team.

Showing 11 of 19,542 reviews