The Home Depot Reviews in Portsmouth, NH | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 510 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 907 reviews)

1. "Head Cashier"

Former Employee - Head Cashier Pro Cashier in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Head Cashier Pro Cashier in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 8 years)

Pros

The associates are great very supportive of each other. The pay is competitive.

Cons

Always short staffed Making it difficult to manage front end breaks and Cashier lines

2. "Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, lots of room for growth, Learn a lot

Cons

Some cons are definitely they aren't spending dollars on those who are worth it.

Advice to Management

Smarten up and open your eyes, Take care of people who take care of you

The Home Depot Response

Sep 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More

"Draining, overly demanding, inflexible sick/time off policies"

Current Employee - Freight Team Lead in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Freight Team Lead in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is flexible and they pay out your vacation time to you when you leave. Profit sharing bonuses aren't too bad either, though they could be bigger.

Cons

Low pay, long shifts, management gets upset if you change your availability for any reason. The management will also take as long as they possibly can to implement your schedule changes. There is no overtime allowed, no exceptions, benefits are sub par and are far too expensive, managers are frequently absent from the sales floor and spend little time observing employees. Cronyism runs rampant and promotions are given out based on how "buddy-buddy" an employee is with a manager while associates that actually do their work are left to pick up the slack and are frequently criticized for what isn't getting done. The company also refuses to hire enough bodies to complete assigned tasks and hires unskilled part-timers that have a high turnover and will often quit after a few months, compounding this issue is the length of the hiring process which keeps gaps in the roster from being filled when they open up. Pay increases are based on a percentage of your hourly wage and are usually dismal.

Advice to Management

Observe your employees, take note of their individual merits and promote based on skill and what gets done, not by how much they butter you up. Lastly, pay a fair wage and give reasonable raises.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 5, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing a review. We have shared your feedback with others. Taking care of associates is one of our core values. We continually look for ways to ensure that associates have equal... More

"OK, but not the best job I've ever had."

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

The benefits: for full time and also part time employees such as 401k, medical/dental/vision and disability; opportunity to advance if desired, a fair rate of pay to start, opportunity to transfer to other stores.

Cons

The biggest downside is the irregularity of your schedule for hourly associates unless you are in operations. You could be the closer one day and the opener the next day. Most stores' schedules only give you two weeks notice so it's very hard to plan your life on a regular basis. To request a day off, scheduling usually needs a month notice. For floor associates, it can be a very physically demanding job.: walking around all day on concrete floors, lifting, climbing ladders, etc. You need to be a person who enjoys working with all personality types; not only the associates but the customers. If you can learn to never take anything personally, that's a big plus. It does take time and maturity.

Advice to Management

There is too much of a gap between management and the associates on the floor dealing with the customers and the day to day work involved. We feel they are out of touch and can not relate to us mere associates. We feel there is a huge gap in compensation. I worked for Home Depot as an hourly employee and received raises as little as 16 cents an hour!! Raises come once a year. After working all year , doing the best job you can ,and only getting a 25 cent raise, how's your morale? We know the big guys are making millions..even when they quit.

Showing 4 of 19,005 reviews