The Home Depot Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

1. "Freight team associate"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Co-workers are nice and the pay is good

Cons

Supervisors are terrible and don't know how to work together, your always gstting different assignments from every supervisor. Despite you working hard they will always say you arent doing anything and make you feel like your worthless to the company

2. "Specialist in Flooring/Home Decor"

Former Employee - Specialist in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

affordable health insurance, a free food event/party about every 2 mos. , very small yearly bonus if the store reaches it's goals for the year. Nice on line training with their computer training modules, and they pay for your time to take the short on-line courses. (they cannot be accessed from a home computer)

Cons

Pay is PITIFUL for the amount of responsibility handed to each employee: starts at less than $10/hr so that many Full Time associates make less than $1000/take home per month. I made $15/hr as an educated Specialist in Flooring/Decor = $32,000/yr.. and a take home of less than $1800/mo. No way I could do that and even pay for part of an apartment. I felt so sorry for the associates who had the lower pay.... they were all working 1 to 2 extra jobs outside of HD just to make ends meet.
    ALSO>>> the culture of HD is to try to catch employees doing something wrong!! Here I was a highly educated employee working there for Health Insurance purposes, and they were constantly dragging into the Supervisor's office to chastise me!!! ... even thought i had the Highest Sales in the Mid-Atlantic stores for Months!!! YUCK! As a result of these cons... I only stayed 1 yr, and most people don't stay even that long! There is hardly anyone i worked with left when I go in to purchase something 2 yrs later in 2017

Advice to Management

- Pay your employees better! They have SO MUCH responsibility! And maybe you will keep more of them!
    -- Also...do MORE encouraging and less brow-beating people into submission with your horrible culture of "let's catch somebod/anybody/everybody doing something marginal" !! EVEN the supervisors got canned on a regular basis! UGH! Who would stick around and be promoted knowing that you make one mistake and you get canned!

"Don't believe the hype."

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

It's a job with a good ole boy system.

Cons

This store is for the mentally challenged. Very few people there have some form of standard education. Rude service, faulty items, & second chance managers who are at the bottom of there careers. Very low pay, many uneducated workers, & a career path to a joke. They hire bodies, not brains. Shop at Lowe's for better service & quality.

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves.

4. "Good summer job, horrible long-term career"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Great corporate culture
    -Managers in my department (Front End) were great

Cons

Please note that the cons may only apply to this store (Reston, VA) not the whole chain:
    - Other associates lazy and don't do their jobs (extremely common for me as a cashier to have to leave my post and help customers load their vehicles because the sales associates wouldn't, even though that's their job)
    - Most employees on the store-level don't care about the corporate culture
    - While management in Front End was generally good, many of the assistant store managers were horrible.

Advice to Management

The store manager himself is genuinely a good guy, but some of the assistant store managers are horrible. Many of the employees give off a very jaded vibe. Please reevaluate some of your staff!

"Flooring Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can walk to work; it's less than a half mile from my house.

Cons

Lousy pay (I started at $12/hour); having to deal with customers; sales quotas. (I'm retired and thought I might be able to get a workout by moving floor tile, etc., but there's not much of that. It's a waste of my time.)

6. "Associate: Floor and Wall"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for what is expected. Flexible hours, safe work environment, approachable management team members. It's fun assisting home owners and professionals with their renovation or repair projects.

Cons

Training is minimal at best. A few general and product overviews and your expect to be knowledgeable enough on a subject to advise or instruct customers. You really have to learn on the fly and pick things up as you go. It can be initially frustrating how you are just thrown to the wolves. A few more associates on the floor would be useful.

Advice to Management

An investment in training is an investment in yourself. You work so hard to get people in the store, shouldn't they be in goods hands once they are there. It's the associates who leave the lasting impression.

May 28, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all... More

"Over worked"

Former Employee - Cashier in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent company, lots of locations to work. Some room to move forward if stat low on the pole.

Cons

They tend to over work, especially managers and above. Disagreed with management's handling of the Pro Deck. They lost some larger clients bc they more interested in details than keeping them coming back. However I think with the decline of the economy they are a little better

Advice to Management

Keep stock better. Many contractors complained the stock was inconsistent and of low or fair quality especially for building materials.

Apr 25, 2014 – Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and... More

8. "Special service associate"

Current Employee - Special Service Associate in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Special Service Associate in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits for full time associates

Cons

Difficult to rank, seems like you need to build an outside relationship to get promoted. Low pay scheduling sucks if your student or have a second job and attempting to juggle your time. Very Demanding.

Advice to Management

Need more meetings with associates! Need to build better relationships between associates and management to increase efficiency

Mar 17, 2014 – Client Partner

9. "It was a learning experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reston, VA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited computer access to gain knowledge of store goods, services, heavy machine licenses.

Cons

Associates are not heard enough in departments, hence it is like a dictatorship environment

Advice to Management

Coach associates to make them better professionals

10. "just a place to work, not a place to move up"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Reston, VA

Pros

The best reason to work at Home depot is its relaxed enviroment and friendly co-workers. Besides those two things, it's just a job where you go in, work and go home. It's very hard to get raises and move up to a higher position. They tell you during orientation that what ever you put into the compnay, you will get in return. That is not true because you can be working there for 5-6 years and only get a few dollars in total raise.

Cons

It's very hard to get raises and also hard to go up the management ladder. I feel that it's just a place to work unless you start off at a management level position.

Advice to Management

have better communication with your employess

Showing 10 of 16,211 reviews