The Home Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
4,962 Ratings

17,616 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 879 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"department supervisor"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

great opportunity to move up into salaried management

Cons

can be a difficult work environment by the very nature of the business, but workable.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

2. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Manchester, TN
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Manchester, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the management is good, and the pay is good considering the job. All the work is easy and the work environment is always inviting.

Cons

It does take a little while to get to the point of being a Full time employee.

"CAREER GROWTH: Everyone is Responsible for Doing Their Part"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Executive/Most Senior leadership genuinely cares, wanting the best for people and the organization
    * Executive/Most Senior leadership surrounds themselves with smart people to make sound business decisions and take smart risks for the betterment of their associates, organization, and the bottom line
    * Executive/Most Senior leadership consistently walk their talk, having integrity, character and taking ownership
    * Executive/Most Senior leadership and most managers appreciate people with strong, impeccable work ethic and adaptability
    * Great working environment: fast-paced, friendly, exciting, diversity is welcomed, and associates support each other (individual teams and cross-functionally) to ensure the success of tasks, projects, and events
    * Middle management, for the most part and depending on the business area, is: fair, supportive, and understanding
    * Wealth of opportunities to take your career any direction you want, IF your current manager champions you, OR you know the hiring manager; so network smart and with a purpose, and maintain a champion
    * Pays very well (above minimum wage and market comparable)
    * Excellent benefits (medical, dental, life insurance, 401K +matching)
    * Awarding perks (bonuses, training classes, care/solution hotlines)

Cons

* Favoritism, cliques, politics, biased performance reviews, and unethical managers can make it difficult for anyone, even top talent, to fairly grow their career
    * Conflict-avoidance is thick (1) Human Resources working for managers instead of associates, not taking associate concerns seriously, and not being true mediators for amicable solutions (2) Untrained, unseasoned, immature managers “getting rid of people,” instead of taking the high road and ownership to work through concerns
    * Middle management, small percentage and depending on the business area, tend to be: unfair regarding associate development, showing favoritism and suppressing talents of others; insecure; intimidated by direct reports; and retaliatory

Advice to Management

* EXECUTIVE/MOST SENIOR LEADERSHIP: Please get rid of performance reviews because they do not speak to the true quality of individuals, teams, or the work, and reviews are too subjective (feckless managers insert gratuitous biases and inaccurate information that tarnish people’s reputation which can prevent them from fairly growing their career); Spend a little more time with front line associates (due to the layers between you and them), listening for understanding and ensuring that the right thing is always done; Transform the culture into objectivity-focused a.k.a. quality of work opposed to “likability”

* HUMAN RESOURCES LEADERSHIP: Become better advocates for associates and effective mediators for them and their managers to ensure palatable solutions; Develop mandatory instructor-led Leadership Training classes for managers; Implement programs and systems that reveal internal untapped talent to increase fairness in role selection and robust distribution of talent (skill sets)

* MIDDLE MANAGEMENT: Read "Built from Scratch" by B. Marcus and A. Blank; Ensure that your personal core values align with THD's Core Values while in the workplace; Knowing that “liking” someone is a choice and a bonus, focus more on: value-add tasks and projects, quality of work, and associate development for each person you are responsible for leading

*ALL: Keep up the GREAT JOB! Loving that stock price!!
    #OrangeBlooded #FairCareerGrowthForAll #THDRocks

The Home Depot Response

Jun 21, 2018 – Client Partner

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our associates are the key to our... More

4. "MET (merchandising execution team)"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are decent, hardworking, hourly types. This is not a place made up of silver spoons. I'd say most people fit into the 40 years old and under or the 55 and over crowd. There are many retired folks from other walks of life that are working as associates to "get out of the house" or to stay viable. They are mostly all very good people.
    Upper management seems very hands off. They don't treat you differently. In fact, I'd say they are nicer than most upper management at other retail businesses I've worked at.
    The nature of the hardware/construction supply retail business is lowkey vs. grocery, costco, or sports equipment. There are no real incentives to liquidate stuff. Stuff goes on sale, but that timing, prices, and location within the store are determined by corporate.

Cons

There are always the usual personal stuff(people that just don't get along with certain people) and I'm sure there is some level of politics but I don't care or get involved in any of that stuff. The immediate supervisor I have is not from a pretentious or college background BUT she works hard and has been with HD for more than a decade. I respect that.
    Again, there are many older, retired folks who have completed careers in many other fields so this adds to the makeup of your working peers. I think this is a unique attribute to the HD.

Advice to Management

More introductions, more chances to meet and introduce yourselves other than just a pic in the breakroom.

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Greeter in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Greeter in Waco, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good support(on-line learning), excellent fellow employees, decent starting pay, good holiday pay, success sharing pay(bonus), supportive management.

Cons

You can't get very many hours if you are part-time(27 max.) You must work on weekends in certain positions. Full time jobs are few and far between.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with your scheduling.

6. "Reasons to work for homedepot"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Clinton, MD
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Clinton, MD

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Stepping stone to great career if you want it to be

Cons

fluctuating hours may vary sometimes

Advice to Management

hold everyone accountable for the stores success

7. "order picker"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keeps you busy all day, great people to work for

Cons

very early shifts, too much complaining from managment

8. "Sr Recruiting Leader"

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great values and great environment to work for

Cons

Need to have better benefits structure

9. "Pro Loader"

Pros

Decent benefits, structured work, and good management (I might've gotten lucky). I also may have gotten lucky with this but having a set schedule as a part time associate was nice.

Cons

Some of the work for pro loaders can be back-breaking and there aren't always other associates to help you out when you get stuck having to load up 5,10,15 bags of 80lb concrete for customers. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

10. "Working at The Home Depot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Something new to learn everyday.

Cons

Time and Loyalty do not mean much.

Advice to Management

Keep up your fine job.

Showing 17,616 of 17,838 reviews