The Home Depot Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
1,416 Ratings

Pros
  • I've been working here part-time for a few months now (in 455 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about the retail world working for The Home Depot (in 129 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance will eventually outweigh the big bonuses (in 283 reviews)

• minimum wage is hard to work with for a part time cashier (in 503 reviews)

9,574 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Changed my opinion about retailing"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot has a solid moral compass. They aren't about sacrificing their ethics for the sake of a sale, which I love. They also hire a diverse group of people and give a lot back to the community. They offer a lot of benefits and little treats for their employees. Although they push their associates to meet quota, they're realistic about what can and can't be accomplished.

Cons

Home Depot has two different sides to it. Store associates and those of us considered "store support" who are payed by the vendors but work in the stores 100% of the time. I constantly hear about how store associates are stressed out by management and their hours are being rearranged a lot, cut, and they often are stretched thin due to lack of full staffing. "Store support" associates who do merchandising have it better than those who work in specific departments. However, you never really gain knowledge unless you have the time to look things up and read packaging.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting associates based off of favoritism.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 29, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More

"Appliance specialist"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Saginaw, MI

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and ira / paid vacation and sick pay / helpful co workers

Cons

Cliques with management / jealous of you when goals for sales and leads and credit are met monthly. Seek ways to terminate the best. 😈 😈 devil. Favoritism rules there.

Advice to Management

Treat all associates with courtesy. I was let go after selling $534.000 in 2014...and never late or call-in. Games.because I was at the top of the pay scale and full time. Costs them in vaca and benefits. Be fair. Be honest. Fire 🔥 loser managers...not your best associate!!!

3. "Hard worker and follows rules very well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working hard. Very understanding worker

Cons

Great people skills and works well with others

Advice to Management

Love to work as much an orderly as possible

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bellingham, WA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed meeting customers and hearing about their projects. Was a fast-paced environment that kept you busy.

Cons

Standing 8 hrs a day on concrete sometimes took a toll on my knees but, nothing a little relaxing at home at the end of a shift that couldn't cure. Scheduling was sometimes inconsistent but, was certain that it mostly stemmed from the amount of new hires at one time.

Advice to Management

Just keep scheduling in check and making sure that parties involved are aware of any changes as soon as they arise.

6. "Cashier/Customer Service Retuns"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier/Returns in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier/Returns in Deerfield Beach, FL

Pros

Working with customers solving there problems. Working as a team player. Coming to work early 6am an leaving at 2pm.

Cons

Employees not working as a team. Being a Part-time employee. Employees go to the management an tell them about there problems an before the day is over everyone knows whats going on with you.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is stop telling other employees whats going on with employees that is coming to you with there problems. Which should be only between employee an management

7. "Very good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

The home depot is a very good place to work. All the people are great to work with. I would definitely recommend them for a employer.

Cons

I don't believe that any problems exist at the home depot. I loved the job.

Advice to Management

Please let the employees tell the manager of the store what can be changed to make things easier and better for the store.

8. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The associates are really good people. And the customers too. Combined make for a enjoyable environment.

Cons

Preoccupation with making sure theft does not occur and customers taking advantage of return policy is a downer.

Advice to Management

Give more part timers opportunity to be full - time and have door greeters at all entrances.

9. "Better than working Fast Food"

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Kirksville, MO
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Kirksville, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At night, there's a little more flexibility in terms of work schedule, rules, and what you work on. The type of work is more enjoyable.

Cons

Outside lumberyard means occasionally working in freezing temperatures for extended time periods. Even worse is the reason we work out there, to take care of what the lumber associates didn't accomplish. Promotions aren't based on merit, but things like scoring high on an interview or politics. There is a culture of treating lower-level workers like pawns to serve manager needs. And there's a focus on working independently instead of as a team because Upper-level managers think the team talks too much, leading to workers having to lift heavy items that should be lifted with more than one person.

Advice to Management

Teamwork is more important than keeping anyone from talking ever. Supervisors are part of the team too, they're not supposed to be dictators. Give credit where credit is due, don't take it for yourself. Don't split people up for talking if you're gonna waste more time talking than they do, that's hypocritical.

10. "Paint Department Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about whats going on your life.

Cons

Operational problems sometimes. Not enough hours

11. "Garden associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers were easy to get along with. I learned a lot about plants which will be use for my own use. Customers were nice.

Cons

Managers often in times do not know how to encourage you. Sometime you might feel like you do not have any one from management on the floor.

Advice to Management

They really need to show more support and care towards their employees. The store changes managers as often as customers come and go from the store.

Showing 9,574 of 9,655 reviews