The Home Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Menear

2,181 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

1. "cashier"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

vision benefits, Co-workers, vendors, peers

Cons

Management picks favorites, they make promises and not follow thru, they constantly keep moving you different departments without your permission.

2. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Antelope, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Antelope, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. I enjoyed working with coworkers and customers.

Cons

Seasonal work, not enough staff on floor and management is terrible to employees high turn over good luck

Advice to Management

Let people learn if mistakes are made do not punish treat people like adults. Pay is low. During training they tell you HD is a at will employer if you think about a union you will be fired, tone it down.

3. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

My fellow associates and my customers

Cons

Lack of hours and low rate of pay.

4. "I don't recommend working here"

Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work- the company isn't going anywhere so you'll always have a job.
    Easy to advance-make sure to read the cons
    I met a lot of really cool people and I learned a lot

Cons

Like I said it's easy to move up in this company, but the managers have to like you. I'm not talking about your work ethic. If you're a girl, it helps if you look good. If you're a guy, just try to be cool and funny. You'll become store manager in no time. Now, do you want to work here the rest of your life? I would definitely suggest you go into maintenance/construction work with the knowledge you gain from working here instead.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your store managers. Some of the best people I have met in this business were cashiers or floor workers. The managers were all two faced liars.

5. "Under Staff"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

The environment is great during the holidays

Cons

Not enough employees on clock unless its peek hours. This lead to other none peek shoppers to no getting enough or the same help around the store

Advice to Management

Put at least 2 employees in each department at a time.

6. "HDE SALES CONSULTANT"

Former Employee - HDE Sales Consultant in Marion, IA
    Former Employee - HDE Sales Consultant in Marion, IA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule. good benefits. nice people in the stores.

Cons

horrible job. 100% commission. products and services are too expensive, making sales extremely difficult. if you do manage to get a sale, the estimate had better be SPOT ON, otherwise they take it out of your pay. (yeah, seriously). training from management is a joke and increases the chances highly of making mistakes. 1-3% of wiggle room on estimates is absurd. way too many sales are lost over a few hundred dollars because the prices are "non-negotiable". most sales reps earn below the poverty level. contractor expectations are so high that some areas dont even have contractors to do the work. a lot of contractors wont work for Home Depot because they dont get paid a decent wage.

Advice to Management

you never should have gotten into this until you were ready. you arent ready. you have a lot to learn. never getting regular person-to-person feedback from sales reps is a very bad idea. HD is losing a lot of money because of their arrogance. the company losing thousands of dollars in profits on a job, because of a few hundred dollars difference and the "non-negotiable pricing, makes no sense at all. the company loses profits and the rep loses all their time and gas. putting all the burden on the sales reps is not very smart business. bright future with much better policies.

7. "Its a Job"

Current Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, lunch break, Good people I worked with

Cons

Like most jobs, the good never gets promoted

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop showing favoritism

The Home Depot Response

Nov 14, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly... More

8. "Sales, Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, co-workers always want the best. The people who work there is what can make the job. So many , and its understandable, really do their best and try to make it better for others,

Cons

Staff way under paid (they know). Hours , days can vary, Part-time /Full-time so at 10,12, 14, an hr,, second jobs are difficult. HD really needs to step up and pay a respectable wage. The old ownership knew how to appreciate and hire qualified persons.

Advice to Management

If this business opened today under current management, customers would not return. Corners cut, under staffed, lack of knowledge, and very dis-organized. Home Depot should separate, Home Décor/ Home Improvements/ Home Appliances ,, etc,, Too Much,, Loosing Focus,, Need a bottle of Windex,, oh,, and ten square of roofing shingles, flashing and a mouse trap. Management needs to decide, create structure, organize,, plan, focus and design a better layout. Then hire appropriate persons for each specialty, Sales, Knowledge and UPDATE THE COMPUTERS ! Almost think we should waiting,, mattresses next ? Upper management really needs to look ahead instead of riding a reputation from years ago,,
    The dis-organization, lack of simple things like a computer program that would organize,, sample,, a BBQ Grill might be stored in the flooring Dept,, and there is no record of where it is put. Associates look dumbfounded walking around, looking up searching for a customers item,,

9. "Good Job to fill"

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Boardman, OH
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Boardman, OH

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Good temp job for in-between jobs.

Cons

Management can be a pain. Be prepared to do more than your job description, Senior employees will take advantage of newer inexperienced associates. No room for growth. Store #3805, Few friendly employees, lots of stuck-up ones.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them with respect. Train employees on machinery who want to learn vs. putting them off.

10. "Not for Me"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed most the people I worked with, but I hated everything else.

Cons

Very Disorganized, promotions are based on popularity instead of merit. On my particular team, the culture was a bit sexist too.

Advice to Management

Reword employees that work hard and understand the department instead of those that you like best on a personal level.

Showing 2,181 of 16,241 reviews