The Home Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
3,429 Ratings

14,314 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work schedule to improve work life balance (in 419 reviews)

• Never a consistent schedule as a full-time employee (in 732 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Place to Work/Retire"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Bradenton, FL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Insurance Ever,Great Company,401K,Profit Sharing,Feels like you are working with your Family. Overall a Awesome Place to work.

Cons

Really didn't have any cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to listen to there employee's when there is a problem with someone in Management.

The Home Depot Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and congratulations on your retirement! We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they’re respected and that their contributions are valued. Our ... More

"EXPO 1035 ROCKS !!"

Current Employee - Receiving Department in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Department in San Jose, CA

Pros

In the last 10 years i have worked for a Home Depot and 2 Expo Design Centers. Employes & management treat each other like family ! We have great medical & dental ! Great discount on company stock ! I'm an hourly employe and have always been treated very well by management ! Great place to advance ! Very flexible with hours if student etc. Company is very generous towards charities (will match my amount given) and giving back to our community ! a.k.a. Team Depot ... Houses for Humanity ... Kaboom play grounds ... and always welcoming military back home with job offers ... as well as working around olympic athletes schedules ... For these last 10 years i've always looked foward to my job as its fast paced and my day flys by....I love my job !!

Cons

Like all retail jobs your shifts usually include some week - ends an or nights

Advice to Management

Keep it up !! Great job dealing with economy i.e. no lay-offs !

3. "None"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Manager in Collinsville, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Assistant Manager in Collinsville, IL

Pros

Fun and fast paced. Takes care of its Associates

Cons

The Hours are to long.

Advice to Management

None

"Home Deopt is one of the better retailers to work for..."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Tooele, UT

Pros

I love my store- I have heard that we are very lucky, in other stores it is not so. Two of our managers drive about 100 miles a day to come work at our store and WILL not work at the 5 stores they pass to come here.

Cons

The way the raises are, and the cooperate part of it ( they send soem thing we have not sold in a year to us and we have to just fit it in somewhere).

Advice to Management

pay your best employees better! some of us work till our bodies hurt and, although we are recogonized- the cooperate part of it does not allow a raise more than once a year- and only this much of this much. you should bump your better employees up even a dollar, to make them feel like it is not all just pats on the back

6. "proud employee and stockholder."

Current Employee - Associate in Punta Gorda, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Punta Gorda, FL

Pros

My best reason is that it was a career move and I also meet my husband threw Home Depot. I am very proud to a part of the history of Home Depot being a 17 1/2 year veteran. I am also thankful of the opportunities I was given along the way, and always believed in this company. We had are ups and downs but I thinking were getting back on track.

Cons

I don't really have any downsides of working at The Home Depot.

Advice to Management

I am very please of what Frank has done so far. I have confidence of his ability of running a great company. The changes he has made since he took over was greatly appreciated. He is bringing back the value of his employees like when Bernie and Arthur ran the company.

7. "Great Challenge, Great Job, Love The Home Depot"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Not only is every day different than the one before it, but if your position does become boring or redundant there is plenty of oppurtunity to advance, try other departments, etc.

The Home Depot has shown that if you want to advance and take on the higher positions and challenges they will get you there.

Cons

It is a stressfull job. However if you are looking for a challenging career this is it. There are times you feel that you do not have enough time in the day, or week, but if you use your people properly they will help you complete tasks.

Advice to Management

"The same page" communication helps, but when in store continue to involve associates and mid management in thought processes and even some feedback sessions.

"Home Depot a good place to start continue and end."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Lufkin, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Lufkin, TX

Pros

It is a change a day environment, and that is what retail is. It is the ability to adapt to change. It is constant 180s march north as fast and as hard as you can now turn south and go right back to where you started. I have learned a ton about business through this company. The ability to travel. the knowledge you can absorb is phenomenal if you (A) Want to learn. and (B) If people are not afraid to share in fear for there job. The Orange Blood pumps through me but it drains quickly and so quietly.

Cons

Ridiculous hours of operation is it really necessary to be open from 6 am to 10 pm , lack of respect for associates will and need to be with there family's on holidays. The ability for certain people to call in every other day and keep there job for 6 months and others call in one time in 6 months and get ridiculed for it for 2 weeks, but i have learned also there are no ethics in business. So I digress to this I am a glorified baby sitter who is treated like i am 12 years old and my thoughts and ideas go unwanted or warranted for fear of being upstaged.

Advice to Management

Know your store, know it inside out and upside down. This is imperative to the running of this business with non existent coverage, you need to know how to do the role of any associate. This is the key to running this business successfully know this live this love this. Remember the old days and the Home Depot wheel of core values, this is what we are. The lack of this has made us who we are, and this is what will make us who we will be.

9. "Best retail job you could ever have!"

Current Employee - Master Electrical Specialist in York, PA
    Current Employee - Master Electrical Specialist in York, PA

Pros

Flexible schedule, good working environment, opp. for advancement, great if you are a people person. There are allot of perks that come with working for them, like events, employee parties, KABOOM! projects. And if you want to learn how to do stuff, thats the place to work, i learn something new about home improvement every day, and if you have a problem the employees and manegment really come together to help out someone in need.

Cons

You may work in a small local store, dealing with a small community, but in the end you work for a corporate giant, full of number crunchers, bean counters, and penny pinchers. Though i suppose it's worse in other places, the place still has a good vibe about it, unless you've been screwed by them( which there have been many).

Advice to Management

Nothing, there doing the best they can in a volitle market during very trying times.

10. "Not enough sales staff equal not enough sales."

Current Employee - Master Electrical Specialist in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Master Electrical Specialist in Chico, CA

Pros

Good people, can be a fun place to work. Good store managers. When a customer gets the kind of help they need or when they learn something about a new product or how they can do something for themselves, it can be very rewarding on a personal level. The better the service, the better the sales, the happier the customer and they will return again and tell a friend.

Cons

No A/C during the summer season. Corporate / Regional management cut employee hours because of slow economy and sales. The customer feed back is there is never enough sales staff to help them and therefore they shop somewhere else. Not enough sales staff equal not enough sales.

Advice to Management

Do something about the heat. Do something about the mosquitos.... before we have a case of West Nile virus The customers complain, the employees become irritable and all this equates to lost customers...

11. "Home Depot is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Home Depot is a good place to work because of the comprehensive benefits package. For manager level positions and up you receive stock grants, bonus opportunities, and yearly increases. The company is good about doing periodic reviews of salary to make sure people are paid at the market average.

Cons

Home Depot can be a stressful place to work. With the economy in a down cycle, especially in the housing industry, associates are being asked to do more with less. This is to be expected and can be rewarding when the economy finally turns around, but in the short term it can make life difficult. At times upper management can be in a constant state of stress which can trickle down.

Advice to Management

None.

Showing 14,314 of 14,463 reviews