The Home Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

3,712 Ratings

14,902 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Place to Work/Retire"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Bradenton, FL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Insurance Ever,Great Company,401K,Profit Sharing,Feels like you are working with your Family. Overall a Awesome Place to work.

Cons

Really didn't have any cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to listen to there employee's when there is a problem with someone in Management.

The Home Depot Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and congratulations on your retirement! We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they’re respected and that their contributions are valued. Our... More

"Go Work Elswhere - It is not worth the aggravation!"

Current Employee - Department Head in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Department Head in Miami, FL

Pros

Good Benefits, especially if you and family need them and can't afford the outrageous cost of private health insurance. Management is usually lack as far as time off is concerned. In this economic situation, if you want to take the rest of the week, you are a hero, They need to slash hours and people are really upset and morale is at a point that I have never witnessed. When the store was first opened, we all had bright smiles and looked forward to helping customers but now, it is a hassle to go to the bathroom. On the way we get stopped every 15 feet by everyone, because there are no employees working.

Cons

If you are not from a click, say from another store groupie, you are basically an outsider.

Advice to Management

Why not try doing something a little different especially in this economic environment. I know the company is hugh but you need to think local and be creative...

"don't work there and don't shop there!"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

it's close to my home.

Cons

no employee discounts! only 6 days of holidays for the year (most companies have 11). no sick time. the HQ is poorly planned, poorly maintained (carpet repaired with duct tape), and even the signs for the exit point the wrong way in the parking deck. outdated IT systems (when i started in 2005, the software loaded on the computer was office 97!). boys club vibe from the top all the way down. on top of all this, employees were encouraged & expected to participate in a corporate cheer at meetings to show company loyalty.

Advice to Management

quality is free! the cheapskate mentality costs more in reputation than you realize.

"only if you must"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Garland, TX

Pros

location, location, location, location, location

Cons

low pay, dead end jobs, lazy incompetent management, low morale

Advice to Management

Give back your bonuses and pay more to the floor workers

"Home Depot is NOT a physically or emotionally healthy workplace."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Tumwater, WA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Tumwater, WA

Pros

getting to work with the public and to help the customers. The other employees are very nice. However, there are many workplaces fitting this description.

Cons

Very poor and paranoid management. This is the most dysfunctional workplace in which I have ever worked. There is a wide discrepancy in wages. Equal pay for equal work ~ a guaranteed right? Not so at Home Depot. There is blatant discrimination of women and older workers and we are warned not to discuss wages with other employees. If we ask for a Saturday or Sunday off for a family commitment, (which they give us) we are scheduled the following week to work 10 days straight with no break. This is their dysfuntional "payback". Also, this can be a dangerous place to work, especially garden. Since the garden areas are outside, the dust from fertilizers blows into the nostrils of the cashiers and associates moving these bags from pallet to shelf. Fine sawdust from cut lumber moves through the air constantly. I once contracted bronchitis from the dust irritating my bronchial tubes and was in bed three weeks.
    Injuries: Anyone injured on the job is immediately ostracized.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your employees, especially the older ones. We are here to help the customer. Many shifts don't have an associate in every department. This is done to save money, but it frustrates and angers the customer and employees and is extremely disrespectful to us. We cannot help in all adjacent departments to ours when we are busy with other customers.
    We each have talents we bring to the job. Your older workers are trustworthy, hardworking, possess a FULL brain and have good work ethics. Don't pass them by for promotion, choosing instead someone in his/her 20's who is barely into the workforce just because this person is "bubbly". As for the customer who calls on the phone: Take pity on him/her. A call is only the beginning of the nightmare. Many times there is no one in the department they want and they are put "on hold", only to be bounced back to the phone center for a repeat. How about those who have opted for a Home Depot repair/installation or delivery?? Pity them as well. Many are the callers who say they have given up a day at work to be home when their new carpet or kitchen cabinets arrive only to find they have wasted a day of work because no one shows up or even calls to cancel a delivery!
    I love my customers. I really like my coworkers. However, as I said before, this is a VERY dysfunctional place to work and it's the management and company policies that are to blame. This employer says one thing and does another. They lie to their employees. They make promises they do not keep and it starts from day one of training. A punitive-minded management force has no place in today's modern society. I predict Home Depot will last another 20 years at the very most unless they change the attitudes, expectations and training of those in higher positions.

"News Flash, no money for salaried employees."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elgin, IL

Pros

The health, welfare and 401K packages look very good.

Cons

If I could afford the health, welfare and 401K on what they pay. The scheduled hours are terrible. 1:00PM till 10:00 PM one day only to return as early as 6:00AM and 8:00AM the next day are very nerve weary. As well, these scheduled hours are fairly consistent with no firm days off or weekend days off form one week to the next.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and catering to the magnificent stockholders and start compensating people on what they are truly worth instead of some demographic or algorithm based on the performance of a typical 19 year old.

"Good money and thats it!"

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Salary is the only thing good about working at Home Depot.

Cons

zero work life balance.
    minimum 55 hour work weeks.
    sometimes 6-days a week.
    no time for self development.
    no time for lunch or other breaks.
    promised more hours to store for customer service but have seen scheduled hours decrease weekly for hourly associates.
    not enough positive feedback to salary managers only negative.

Advice to Management

consecutive days off.
    dont call on days off or before and after shifts.
    5-day work weeks.
    scheduled lunch and breaks.
    scheduled time for self development.
    promote work life balance.
    more positive feedback.

"just a pit stop"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Home depot is a first stop to finding a better job, You start out thinking you might go somewere and management gives you great praise for about the first year but refuse to help you in your growth. never enough time to work with associates in job advancement.

Cons

Lack of communication, over worked under paid, and no respect. As an associate you want to know whats going on. In my store management wont communicate with each other. If I have a problem there is no resolve. Its just the suck it up and move on attitude all management puts out. RESPECT what does that mean? I have gone to management about personal information to hear it the next day by coworkers. In a nut shell if you have a problem just call the associate awareness line you would be better off!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Pull your head out, and remember you were here once also. Or maybe you just kissed alot of butt.

"If collecting a paycheck is what you want, I have a job for you..."

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate

Pros

If you have some knowledge of home improvement and don't make a habit of buck passing, you will shine at The Home Depot. As a sales associate it is very easy to be busy or appear busy, depending on what you want. You will also learn about all aspects of home improvement from the customers and from some of the older more experienced sales associates. It will become clear very soon who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Working at The Home Depot isn't that bad if you are the type of person who likes to collect a paycheck.

Cons

The Blatant favoritism that store managers show towards some employees contributes to the toxic environment that you will experience if you work at The Home Depot. If you work full time as a sales associate you should fully expect to work 6, 7, 8, 9, and even 10 days straight. The scheduling of hours at The Home Depot is so ridiculous that you will feel as if you have won the lottery if you get 2 days off in a row. Also forget about ever planning any type of day trip with your family because you will never know what your schedule will be up until 2 weeks before.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your biggest asset. Please don't make it so blatantly obvious that we are easily replaceable, even if we are. Finally more attention should be paid on teaching managers how to manage respectfully and effectively.

"The Home Depot - You can collect a paycheck, we can help!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

If you like a competitive environment, retail can be a great industry to work in

Cons

Very low morale among corporate associates and high attrition
    Many corporate associates are unmotivated, uneducated, and just looking to collect a paycheck
    Lack of Human Resource structure - no emphasis placed on growing and developing talent, no discussions about career pathing and progression
    Many mid-level managers are disengaged and lack leadership skills
    Constant down sizing with emphasis on increased workloads for current associates
    Managerial Abandonment with Sr. Management allowing Merchandising associates to collect kickbacks from vendors - and many have been charged with tax evasion by the IRS. Sr. Management claims ignorance that they had no idea any of this was going on
    Outdated and complex technological platforms - HD never invested in an IT infrastructure - you can thank Bernie & Arthur for that
    Basic benefits package - nothing outstanding - health care is very expensive, you have to pay for your own short & long term disability, limited paid corporate holidays just six per year, if you work in the stores you are only closed two days per year just Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Advice to Management

Go private so you can focus on building the business instead of catering to Wall Street
    At the corporate office, acknowledge that it is just NOT a nice place to work - how can you solve a problem when you refuse to recognize there is a problem. As a result, all you attract are people looking to just collect a paycheck. They always stay and the few associates who are really good you drive off with heavy workloads and lack of career progression

Showing 14,902 of 15,063 reviews