The Home Depot Reviews | Glassdoor

17,604 reviews

Full-timePart-time

17,604 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 879 reviews)

1. "Good Benefits & Competitive Pay"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management came up from hourly associates so they understand what challenges those on the sales floor face

Cons

Same as any retail environment

Advice to Management

Consider pitching a guaranteed number of weekend days off per month for all associates - it makes a difference.

2. "Incredible Company and People - Hard Work/Stressful"

Former Employee - Inventory Planning and Replenishment in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Inventory Planning and Replenishment in Smyrna, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dive straight into a multi million/billion dollar business right out of school. Incredible experiences when looking back that can really make you shine to your next employer. There are not many businesses this large handling this many dollars/customers. If this is your ticket into Home Depot take it, tough it out for a year, and find a role that you enjoy. Home Depot is huge organization with endless career opportunities.

Taught me invaluable lessons on retail, customer service, and how company culture can make or break an organization.

The main campus is very nice with a full service cafe, gym, laundry service, CVS, basketball and boccie ball courts, and credit union.

Smyrna is a growing area with a new professional baseball stadium (Braves) 10 minutes from headquarters.

Supportive culture that is willing to help and wants to see you grow and succeed.

A family feel. I am still friends with former co-workers, and even supplier partners that I worked with while at The Home Depot. If you leave for the right reasons (lifestyle change/unavoidable circumstances etc) they are supportive and will even tell you they would love to have you back one day. If you go to a competitor though they will most likely blacklist you from returning, and walk you out of the building immediately.

Consistent happy hours and Home Depot paid for quarterly events (Braves games, Main Event, Six Flags etc) as well as opportunities to do charitable work in the community.

Entrepreneurial feel. If you have a business idea within your category you can build a case and present it to your category leader. They are open to ideas to grow the business, and will sometimes give you the green light to test new strategies.

After 6 months experience and manager approval you will be allowed to work remotely 1 day per week.

Cons

Can be very demanding and long hours. 100+ emails per day that you are expected to respond to by end of day on top of reporting and managing a multi million/billion dollar business. Be careful to do your research and ask specific questions about your product category while thinking about the nature of the business. If you work in a high sales of an emergency category (HVAC, dry vacs, etc) you may be required to carry a cellphone on weekends and work longer hours, but will be promoted faster if you do a good job. You are the primary point of contact for inventory related issues in a global market. Other co-workers on my team and I consistently worked 50-60 hours weeks, but others in our department on different teams worked 40 hour weeks as their category was less complex and had lower annual sales/less pressure.

Almost all of the tools used to do your job are built and developed in-house therefore you will not gain much, if any, transferable systems experience outside of Microsoft Office, and potentially base level Tableau and SharePoint based on your team.

Your job can be made much easier or harder based on the quality and engagement level of your manager. They are your buffer between high level executives that you work with and yourself. Having alignment and support from your manager can very heavily impact the role until you are comfortable running your product category.

High level executive behind the curtain moves that are premeditated accompanied with political BS that you have to play to be well liked by your management. To be expected in almost any large organization though.

Not a lot of recognition for doing things right, and a lot of pressure for mistakes. As an inventory analyst we are constantly reminded of things that are wrong, and seldom commended for executing a business plan. It is expected.

Minimal to no travel.

Advice to Management

Build a better training program for new hires. Throw you to the wolves a bit and see if you can sink or swim, but people are there to help you and open to any questions.

Assign a specialist to departments to handle one off field requests and allow salaried analysts to be analyst not customer service representatives for the stores. There is a part of the culture that is tied to helping out the store associates which is fine and the right thing, but at a certain point it is damaging to the business when salaried employees that are supposed to be making high level decisions with large dollar impacts are forced to focus their time and efforts on one off requests with low dollar impact to the overall business. Do not get me wrong there is something special about working out a customer request for a positive result, but there are often way too many not to have a specialist assigned to each sub-department helping. Supply Chain Support Desk is ok, but they need to be assigned to departments so they can master and become category experts. This will ultimately better serve Home Depot's customers.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 14, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our associates are the key to our success... More

3. "Best company in Atlanta"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Home Depot is a great company to work for. The benefits are great and they're really trying to focus on the employees.

Cons

Huge. You can get lost.

4. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Constant Innovation, Motivated Leadership, Leader in Retail technologies and making giant strides with technology driven mindset, lot of fresh ideas

Cons

Silos within teams, some people are ancient in the company and does not adapt well with new technology, lack of collaboration, thinking like technology company but benefits are like retail company for IT staff.. 401K is OK to the industry standard, vacation policy needs a fresh look... 2 weeks until 5 yrs is not fair at all...

5. "Hardware Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Apple Valley, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunity
    Good-coworkers
    Easy job
    Overall company culture

Cons

Bad scheduling
    Management makes or breaks the job. For a $100 billion company, Home Depot sure is cheap. Always dimming the lights in the store (we have no control over it) it gets so dark you really can’t read what you’re trying to buy and customers are always complaining. Takes much longer to restock because it’s so dark. I work at one of the highest sales volume stores in the district and they are always asking people to stay/come in because they don’t know how to schedule enough people. Unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Don’t promote associates to DS/ASM just because you like them. Promote the right person for the job. Some of these managers have no business being in their positions and don’t even know how to talk to people.

6. "Sales associate"

Pros

Flexible. They work around school schedule

Cons

Too much to do for short pay

7. "Supervisor"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Moving up is very hard hand picked

8. "Cashier"

I worked at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Being a cashier at The Home Depot is eye-opening as to how many different goods go into housekeeping and carpentry.

Cons

If you're late, they will get rid of you. This happened to me. I was a valued employee, but nobody is safe.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Especially the employees that know the store well. Otherwise you will have lines and bad customer service.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 14, 2018 – Client Partner

Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group (AACG) to express your concerns.

9. "Great Career Launching Pad or Landing Pad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company, great culture, cares about employees, great benefits, company stock is awesome.

Cons

Middle Management on certain teams and departments.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that are great at talking and hire more managers better at doing.

10. "Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Great set schedule, amazing company to work for, great communication and metrics driven.

Cons

Workload for a set amount of hours for your team.

Advice to Management

Slow movement upward unless you are willing to move to other parts of the country, or wait a long time.

Showing 17,604 of 17,824 reviews