The Home Depot Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 512 reviews)

• "The hourly pay for full time employees" (in 911 reviews)

"Great environment to train new talent and grow your career by your performance."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Queen Creek, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Queen Creek, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A Value based company that takes care of its associates and its customers. Finding new and innovative ways to grow profits year over year.

Cons

Keeping and growing associates while trying to keep attrition to a minimum. Trying to create a talent bench for the next set of supervisors, managers, etc.

Advice to Management

Work through your leaders. Let them grow and manage their teams. Guide them but not micro-manage them

2. "sales of petrol products"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of time but few prospects

Cons

not enough $ as market is gone

Advice to Management

?

"Former Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great associates, great customers, great executive leadership

Cons

Not all decision makers, especially at the Store Manager and District level continue to remain valued bases and servant leaders

Advice to Management

Spend more time investing in value based individuals. Spend time in the stores teaching and training associates, to much time is spent prior to a scheduled walk preparing. It would be better to see the issues that are present and work to correct them, not just make a RVP or higher happy.

The Home Depot Response

May 15, 2017 – Content Marketing Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

4. "Great career awesome benefits competitive salary long hours"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good salary and benefits package. Good advancement opportunities and established work place. Tons of job opportunities within the organization and affiliates

Cons

No work life balance lots of time spent on the job always. Days off required to answer issues and deal with store problems. Training opportunities for new hires

5. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Flexibility, opportunity for growth, Fortune 500 company, great MIP plan.

Cons

They have gotten away from their core values in recent years.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics, embrace the core values again.

"over worked"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice co worker, insurance was provided. you could move up

Cons

worked too hard. some bad early meeting, clicks,

Advice to Management

customer is not always right.

"Assistant Store Manager - never boring, but no work-life balance"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Upward mobility - I began as a temp and was able to work my way up to assistant store manager in a relatively short period of time. Nearly all store and district level managers began their careers as hourly associates.

Training - most of what you will learn is on-the-job training. You will work alongside associates who have been in the trades and pick up valuable home improvement knowledge.

Benefits - health insurance, dental, and optical are very good for full time associates. The 401k plan matches dollar for dollar for the first 1% and .50 on the dollar up to 5% of your salary. Employee stock purchase plan offers a 15% discount and The Home Depot is a Wall Street favorite.

Cons

Work-life Balance - As an assistant store manager, you are always on the clock. On your best week you can expect to work 50 hours and during your worst (inventory time) you may work up to 70 hours. 55 is probably average. The hours are not the worst part, though. Managers are scheduled as early as 5am and as late as midnight. This includes the weekends.

Compensation - the overall take-home with bonus looks good, until you consider how many hours you worked to get that paycheck. I did the math and I was only making about $16/hour without bonus and $20/hour with bonus. Not what you would expect as a manager personally responsible for $20 million in business in a $55 million store.

Upper-level management - this might be the most frustrating aspect of working for The Home Depot. Far too many regional, divisional, and corporate leaders feel the need to announce their impending arrival at your store with the expectation that you roll out the red carpet for them. Our core business is building relationships with our customers and contractors in order to grow the average ticket, but we had to put that process on hold every time a "walk" was possible. Instead of adding value to the business through increasing sales, we would attempt to make a dusty warehouse look presentable. Upper-level management has no idea how stores look when they aren't polished prior to their arrival, and this leads to unrealistic expectations. Nobody is willing to challenge this waste of time and resources.

Unreasonable expectations of hourly associates - Walmart pays $10 an hour for associates to provide poor customer service with little accountability. The Home Depot also starts hourly associates at $10 per hour and specialists at $11 per hour. It was very difficult finding quality talent at that rate. A Pro Account Sales Associate, for example, was expected to sell $1 million per year for $11 an hour. Why would someone agree to be held to these expectations when he could work for Walmart with no expectations at the same rate? You get what you pay for.

Advice to Management

The Home Depot has correctly identified contractor sales and install services as the areas with greatest growth potential. Invest money wisely on associates who can help you win in these areas. $11 per hour won't do it. I've seen pro department supervisors who make $25/hour increase business by half a million dollars. An associate is an investment. You wouldn't buy penny stocks and expect a fail-proof return, astronomical return.

The second piece of advice I have revolves around work-life balance. I eventually burned out from the number of hours worked and lack of time with my family. I was recently put on a promotional track that would have eventually made me a store manager. Because the company fails to recognize signs of burnout, it loses managerial talent. Perhaps there should be more ASMs per store who work manager on duty shifts. Maybe THD should go to salaried area managers instead of DHs and ASMs. This could allow the company to reduce workload to 40-45 hours per week. Do your research and you will find that the more hours a person works past 40, the less productive they become per hour.

In the end, The Home Depot was a positive experience for me and I am grateful for what I have learned. I wish I could have continued my career with the company but I could not balance my personal life with my work life.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 3, 2016 – Senior Manager, Social Media

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the... More

8. "Core values and a ladder to climb."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is great with Excellent values, and probably the most opportunity for growth.Most promoting is done within the company. Pay is very good.

Cons

Challenging hours, and inventory is an absolute nightmare. The district members of management are not in the stores enough to get to know the associates.

Advice to Management

Speak for work life balance regularly and don't actually have the same message in store.

9. "It's all about the people you're with"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

THD is organizationally aligned well and consistent in how they treat people. Great products and always looking to make associates jobs more fulfilling. Metrics always achievable

Cons

Schedule is horrible for family life and district management staffs have more to do than they can handle. No new stores so growth must be driven by turnover

Advice to Management

You need more oversight of district staffs and more labor on the sales floor. Advances in tech are great!

10. "Salaried Management"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for as far as stability

Cons

do not expect any growth potential unless you are female they are putting way too much emphasis on Women in leadership which is leaving qualified males in the rear view mirror. Not always the most qualified gets promoted

Advice to Management

Start looking at qualifications for job promotions rather than gender