The Home Depot Sales Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 216 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 795 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 504 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 899 reviews)

1. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Flooring and Decor Sales Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flooring and Decor Sales Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive work environment, learn new skills, good training, good starting wages, great benefits. Also volunteer opportunities with Team Depot.

Cons

Not many downsides. Associates stay employed for extended periods of time, some upwards of 20+ years.

2. "great place and environment to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring Department in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring Department in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-the company has a huge focus on convenience and value which is something that will be put into place everyday in the workplace.
    -family friendly company that can allow you to be very tight and close to your employees and managers.

Cons

-Focuses too much on failing programs inside the store which is causing high turn over in associates.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 18, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, we believe the key to business is our commitment to customer service and creating an environment where all associates feel... More

"A good first job"

Current Employee - Flooring and Decor Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Flooring and Decor Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home Depot culture creates a family out of its employees. There's a sense of connectedness with The Warehouse (THD's employee social network), where employees from stores all over the country can ask and answer questions. The work is typically fast-paced and, depending on the attitude of employees, can even be fun. When I transferred to a different store, many of my coworkers still kept in contact with me. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Managers sometimes transfer between stores and some of them make me wonder how they got promoted. There's an attitude that if someone asks for something outside your department, you immediately call someone in that department and run away from the customer. In my case, someone says "floor", "window", or "blinds" and I get called to help the customer. Sometimes I get called for something as simple as "where are the blinds?" And then I walk them over to the huge sign that says blinds on it because that's too much effort for someone outside of my department. For the most part, this isn't a career. It's a job that you have while you look for something else.

Advice to Management

You should know the basics of everything your workers do. It's inexcusable not to know how to process a refund or look up an order. If you don't know something, be willing to learn instead of treating the situation as if it's beneath you.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 22, 2018 – Client Partner

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our associates are the key to our... More

4. "Appliance Sales Specialist8"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with great people...nice social events

Cons

It is retail...full time means long undesirable hours that can create family stress...also can be quite physical at times... No commissions...weak profit sharing plan which does not reward top performers...low hourly pay

Advice to Management

This is a mega corporation any advice any individual can give management has already been thought of and considered

"Just put in my resignation"

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Still some good people left. But that could be changing. Some schedule flexibility early on. I sure loved working with the customers (best part).

Cons

No desire to retain employees. Seems that the place is going down hill fast. They have reorganizing the departments and supervisors causing everyone to be unhappy. That bleeds over to the customers. Customers in the last 2 months or more seem to be more upset as the employee/customer engagement is dropping off drastically. Allot of customers use to say "we come here for the great service". (not anymore) Now they stomp out of the store as there are not enough associates to help them.

Advice to Management

Your employees no longer what to stay there. When people leave that have many years in, that can be a bad thing if your customers are wanting a seasoned professional at the store. You should have never cut every ones hours and added more to the supervisor's list; all they did was let it run down hill. Beware, Menards is coming to town.

"Management Style"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comprehensive Benifits and options to own stock

Cons

Accountability of leadership is very poor. The impression you get is that most are undereducated but are attempting to use their position to invalidate the employees who seem vulnerable.

Advice to Management

As the head of the snake goes, so goes the body.

7. "Overall nice place to work, good benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Hackettstown, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Hackettstown, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, no pressure from management

Cons

No commissions for sales specialists, you have to work for the company more than 10 years to get 3 weeks of payed vacation

Advice to Management

Hire less people but give them good money

8. "Sales specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None heavy work load and no coverage

Cons

Don't work here too cheap. No match on 401k until second year and lousy pay

9. "Company follows great values, and cares for its workers in many ways."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning many different skills throughout the store

Cons

Goals in mind company wide to cut hours, positions, and expectations of associates.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more involved in the store and associates.

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee focus is good , many benefits including tuition reimbursement , health insurance, healthy living bonus, profit sharing, merit raises, and trained management. Very integrated and inclusive work force and generally well rounded and safe and happy environment. But, it can be fast paced and it is retail customer facing large box retailer.

Cons

Very large place, I walk sometimes 6 miles or more during a shift. There are some heavy items to lift on occasion as this is a home improvement warehouse , but they are keen on safety and team work and it is retail , they expect sales skills for which there is no commissions paid. It is just hourly with a shared store bonus every quarter. Unfortunately as in any very large company, sometimes decisions are made far away affecting the physical plant without an understanding of how negatively the outcomes of those decisions will impact the sales floor. And o course, they don;t just make a decision for 1 store but for many, then when they roll out the change all of a sudden the impact becomes apparent, but wow, now they have a warehouse full of "setup" that is going to have a significantly more negative effect than the positive result they anticipated.....

Advice to Management

build a template or model first, or even assemble a prototype and test the change in one or two place before moving on the reset.