The Home Depot Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
  1. "Great"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everything about this company is great

Cons

I don’t have anything negative to say

The Home Depot2019-08-08
  2. "Great place to work especially for semi-retired and youth"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get an entry level position without knowing anything about anything , even English , almost. They train as you go in product knowledge , customer service , everything , almost all through easy paced videos always on the clock.

Cons

They are struggling to keep enough workers in this job environment , as is almost everybody , so you can be put in a department you may not be trained for , just based on the need of the moment. But , if you can be comfortable with that , you can move sideways and upward fast. Be prepared to do whatever it takes , like cleaning up dog pee or poo , in the aisle , on the spot. Customers and their pets are number one ..., with a smile.

The Home Depot2019-08-08

"Good company needs improvement"

Current Employee - MET in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have an amazing direct supervisor. The DM over Met is very good as well. Our Met supervisor works on helping us learn more and improve our skills. We have a good work life balance. You can learn new things all the time about products.

Cons

Store side store manager doesn't promote by your abilities or experience. It's by who your buddies with. Pay is really low for the work you do. No compensation if you get certified for heavy equipment. Cost of housing is high here you cant afford to live off 11 dollars an hour. The insurance is not as good as it was. It's a shame because people who want to stay and try to promote can't afford to. We lose a lot... of good people. Turn over is high. Store short staffed quite often do to people quitting.

Advice to Management

Actually look at the experience of the people who work for you. Pay a living wage. You are doing so many other good things but the pay and insurance need improvement. The cost that your paying in training all the new people would drop dramatically. You'd have more people very skilled at sales and knowledge of your products making money for you. The reason I wouldn't recommend is pay and opportunity to grow.

The Home Depot2019-04-15
  4. "Best company ever"

Former Employee - Cashier in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome, great company to work for.

Cons

Home Depot does not have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

The Home Depot2019-03-06
  5. "Good schedule"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

MET team has a set schedule, M-F 5-1:30. Fun team to work with and never run out of stuff to do!

Cons

You have to be there at 5. Pay raises are slow, but consistent if you work hard enough.

The Home Depot2019-01-23

"worst job in fifty years"

Former Employee - Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

fellow associates, great customers,

Cons

employees are treated like dirt, disposable, and expendable, they gaslight you with their upside down pyramid, with the ceo at the bottom and stockholders, and the associates and customers at the top. they are always, always, always, hiring, retention rate, of a year, is maybe ten percent? I'd like to see the stats...but turnover is horrendous, of all that started with me, there was one left at six months when I... left. and if you call attention to unsafe conditions or job injuries they will ignore it, or bully you into not filing for injury benefits, "we have a team of doctors and lawyers, and good luck with that." all they care about is getting busted and fined for an osha violation, and if you bring it up, they'll target you.

Advice to Management

Lowes rocks, I'll take the ten k I spent at home depot last year, and go to Lowes this year.

The Home Depot2019-02-22

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are very nice. Many home improvements knowledge can be learned

Cons

Limited promotions for employees. Pay is not very competitive

The Home Depot2018-12-03

"Great coworkers- scheduling is inconsistent - short staffed"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers who are fun, supportive & just plain nice people. Learning opportunities with the variety of products & online classes.

Cons

Schedules are inconsistent, few, if any weekends off & not willing to work with you on your availability. Pay is low. Return policy is outrageous allowing junk & items 2-3 years old to be returned. Need Controls in place for thieves who find cash or debit receipts, get the item & return it for cash. Have someone at doors checking receipts. If you reduced the theft & returns you could pay better wages.

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with input on their schedules. Ask if an employee is able to work 6-10 days in a row. Treat your employees as well as you do your customers.

The Home Depot2018-10-07
  9. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good culture to work for

Cons

Companies goals get lost with the District Managers alot of the time

The Home Depot2017-10-07
  10. "Fun and Interesting but not very accommodating"

Former Employee - Expediter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always something new to learn -- vibrant environment for curious technician and/or artist types. Full time options once you've proven yourself, or for a few experienced newcomers. A good way to learn about business.

Cons

Poor accommodations for disabilities / little room for advancement based on educational background. Re discrimination: based on my merit as a smart, enthusiastic, and hard-working employee, I had been asked twice to apply for open supervisory positions. But this was all prior to disclosing to my Store Mgr and HR District Manager that I am Bipolar. After that, I was never asked again ....

Advice to Management

Seek input from your employees in the field. The update to Special Ordering system seemed to have been a one-size fits all expansion, rather than addressing whether limited bandwidth could handle a simple scale-up of existing data architecture.

The Home Depot2017-08-22