The Home Depot Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

1. "Needs better pay"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Sandy, UT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for part-timers. Offers tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Not a great pay scale. Did not receive a differential when I was working nights.

2. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture to work for

Cons

Companies goals get lost with the District Managers alot of the time

3. "Fun and Interesting but not very accommodating"

Former Employee - Expediter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Expediter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always something new to learn -- vibrant environment for curious technician and/or artist types. Full time options once you've proven yourself, or for a few experienced newcomers. A good way to learn about business.

Cons

Poor accommodations for disabilities / little room for advancement based on educational background. Re discrimination: based on my merit as a smart, enthusiastic, and hard-working employee, I had been asked twice to apply for open supervisory positions. But this was all prior to disclosing to my Store Mgr and HR District Manager that I am Bipolar. After that, I was never asked again ....

Advice to Management

Seek input from your employees in the field. The update to Special Ordering system seemed to have been a one-size fits all expansion, rather than addressing whether limited bandwidth could handle a simple scale-up of existing data architecture.

"Not a super awesome job."

Former Employee - Associate in Tooele, UT
    Former Employee - Associate in Tooele, UT

Pros

6 month bonuses of $50 dollars was a pro i guess. Having some friends at work helped me get over it.

Cons

Plenty of cons, such as the raises are an insult, after a year you only get a 20c raise, hours are crazy and inconsistent, managment in incompetent at doing anything other then make everything worse and stand in the parking lot chatting.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they understand what should be done with the store better then you...

5. "Freight Team"

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    work well with military
    Profit sharing

Cons

managers need to communicate more

Advice to Management

communicate

The Home Depot Response

May 25, 2017 – Content Marketing Strategist

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

6. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement. 401k, competitive salary, good morale. I worked there 15 years. Was relocated to 3 different states.

Cons

Very political, if there is ever a change in leadership at any level you start over. They joke about putting in long hours as managers. Expect to work 55-65 hours a week as a salaried manager. And zero holidays off. "That's retail".

Advice to Management

Don't over commit and under deliver. There is way too much political rhetoric in the company. Upper management tend to favor those they have worked with over the years. And in "big box" retail everybody is easily replaceable.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved working with people.Problem solving.Went on medical leave. In process of being rehired.

Cons

No complaints. Enjoy the different scenarios with customers/clients!

Advice to Management

A few more pats on backs for the great employees

"MET"

Current Employee - MET Associate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - MET Associate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Set schedule and early out

Cons

Constant threats to do better but pushed to do more in a small amount of time. Very mimally educated supervisors who usually come from Dollar Stores. Dead end and tedious work. Kmart level mentality concerning staff relations. Either your part of the 'cool kids' or your not. It's really pathetic. Quality walks 2 or 3 times per shift? Seriously?

Advice to Management

I am leaving Home Depot due to bullying and playing favorites by supervisors. My MET supervisor does quality walks twice a day and threatens us in meetings saying 'I'll do more until you do it right" ALso we are constantly pushed to go as fast as you can. What do you want HD? Do my job properly or be reduced to tears every day because "you suck". However if you are one of the favorites all is okay. 11 dollars is not worth it.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great to work with customers. Good, friendly, positive peer groups. Management approchable.
    "Family" feeling

Cons

Poor training and coaching for new associates. Very under staffed in evenings. Some disconnect between management and associates regarding expectations.

Advice to Management

Video training is worthless - lacks depth, repetition and application - this translates poorly in customer service. Understaffing also reflects poorly in customer service.

10. "Full-Time, Hourly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn how to operate a fork-lift and other lift equipment

Cons

There are really only 4-5 positions in each store with any real earnings potential: (1) Store manager; (3-4) Assistant Store Managers. All other associates should expect minimum wage or slightly above with annual raises as little as $0.05 not being uncommon.

When it comes to reviews and raises, management practices are completely and blatantly unethical. It seems to be common practice to defer employee reviews as long as possible (1-2 months or more), thus delaying any associated pay increases. Once these reviews are conducted and raises issued (if you are lucky), no back-pay is given. Assuming this practice is company-wide, just imagine the millions of dollars per year The Home Depot is saving instead of distributing to their rightful owners. "More Saving. More Doing," right?

Advice to Management

Value your people more than you value your bottom line. Treat others with the fairness and dignity with which you would like to be treated yourself.

Showing 59 of 16,211 reviews