The Home Depot Reviews in San Bernardino, CA | Glassdoor

2.8
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 215 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 787 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 497 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 893 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for entry level 10-12/hr

Cons

I have nothing to complain about. You get out what you put in

Apr 14, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. Taking care of our associates is one of our core values. We continually look for ways to ensure that... More

2. "Good hours"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

39 hours, flexible scheduling, good pay, vacation time, stable job

Cons

Lazy managers, angry customers, lots of theft, not getting a share because you have to work there for more then 1 year, credit card pushing, having to scan EVERY single item to raise stupid scan percentage

3. "Sales Floor Outlook"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In general the Home Depot is an outstanding company that has an honest, and admirable endeavor of becoming the worlds best customer service retailer.

Work hours are consistent, and schedules are very accommodating within their website.

It is an outstanding place to gain and learn new skills trough various job responsibilities.

Mobility is generally easy within 6 months to a year, and there are opportunities to become a Department Head once a slot opens.

There are good benefits for full time employees with dental, vision, and health care options. For part-time employees there are some stock options and other deals explained by the HR.

Cons

Pay in general is not very good in this area. (Subject depends significantly on store management and market in location)

This job is ideal for: college students, retired individuals, or individuals looking for a little extra cash. However, if you are looking to make a living pay is not enough unless your intentions are to move up to Department Head or Assistant Manager.

Other than that many times hours will be limited to having 1 person on the floor making it potentially stressful to some when 5th hours come around.

Advice to Management

From experience in my area since 2008 many employees have expressed concerns on management where many have left the company. From my experience most have issues with the amount of work and responsibility for very low pay, or significant cut in hours. Noting the company goals are to become the worlds best customer service retail business it would be wise to invest in employees who are the ones contacting customers directly. This will require more from HR to hire only the best, but as long as associates are payed their market value, and standards are put in place that goal may actually become a reality. In essence listen to your employees and serve them with outstanding leadership taking care of each other. Simply live by the Orange Life and make it an everyday goal with honor courage, and commitment.

Aug 16, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group (AACG) to express your concerns.

4. "They could do so much better, if they wanted to..."

Current Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You pickup a lot of knowledge that may be useful to you someday.

Cons

Micro-management, a lot of favoritism, limited opportunity for moving up.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people not numbers.

5. "Home Depot"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were really great that I worked with, very friendly.

Cons

Not very high pay, terrible hours and it takes a very long time to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with employees when they are trying to help customers.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Working with good customers interested in improving there homes and families

Cons

Utterly incompetent corporate management. Literally a dozen operational problems every day that are directly due to dull thinking middle managers at the corporate office. For example, Can't ever get orders shipped to customers via truck arriving on-time due to corporate mismanagement of delivery operational procedures and zero accountability. Here is a typical example of what happens at a corporate level I have to deal with on a daily basis. 1) Customer wants to buy a few thousand dollars worth of gift cards.
      2) Attempt to verify using customer ID, can't do it, other verification required.
     3) Key punch in SS number to verify, won't authorize.
    4) Call corporate to verify, can't do it, accounting dept doesn't believe I, the Assistant. store manager is looking at the physical card in my hand. 4) Get them to authorize some other way, can't do it, customer, standing in the store. has to be called oh home phone.
    5) Get customer to go home to verify, can't do it, customer needs to show me ID while in the store to get gift cards.
    6) Get customer advance authorized to get thousands of dollars in gift cards, returns to store, Can't get cards, no authorization approval recorded. Customer leaves without getting thousands of dollars in gift cards. Happens day after day after day. I will be leaving in a few months so they can keep moving on the same way. The senior management responsible for the systems in place function at a level well below a first day cashier. Oh well!

Advice to Management

None. There is no possibility of change.

Jan 31, 2016 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

7. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As with anything in life, opportunity is what you make of it. Ability to grow in career if motivated. Good management team, fast paced, tuition reimbursement, stock options, success sharing.

Cons

Entry level pay is average, but room to grow. Health insurance is good but could be better.

8. "Coordinator"

Current Employee - Team Lead Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

offer incentives for working overtime

Cons

very little growth within the company.

"HDE sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

Eventually you get to a place where they know what they can expect from you and you know what to expect from them. That is why I give it two stars and am doing this review.

Cons

You had better have a strong constitution. You had better have a minimum of five thousand dollars saved up when you start this job. It will take 4 to 6 months before you start realizing any monies that will sustain you and your families. It seems like you will have a minimum of 8 to 11 bosses that are trying to stop your jobs from moving forward. You may turn one job in today that moves forward without a hitch and try to do it the same way the next week and it falls apart. For the most part your left to your own devices trying to figure things out. The turnover is incredible it's ridiculous it is inordinately excessive. The final negative, as if that's not enough, this endeavor seems to be hurting the Home Depot brand.

Advice to Management

You can't have it both ways! You can't promise people the Sun and Moon and then deliver them a sunburn and dirt. This endeavor may be better if you actually did just make your sales force order takers. Just adjust pay commensurate with results similar to salaried store pay practices. You have a lot of talented people that have come in the front door hard charging and gone out the back bitter because of poor management and poor pay practices.

10. "Great benefits, people & culture"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Supervisor in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Supervisor in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Success sharing, 401k match, great people

Cons

Who you know can either help or hurt

Sep 24, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly... More

Showing 12 of 18,579 reviews