The Home Depot Reviews in San Carlos, CA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 443 reviews)

• Varying hours for most full time employees (in 795 reviews)

1. "work life balance not good"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Carlos, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity, good benefits, stock options

Cons

a lot of hrs worked, customers abuse the system

Advice to Management

cut back hours of managers, work life balance is horrible.

2. "Lots of opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If lucky, good schedule's and good management. Meet some great friends.

Cons

Home depot will eat you alive if you are considering moving up as a manager or supervisor. My managers work 55-72 hours a week. One manager I know worked from 8:30pm-11pm 6 days a week, and one time she did all 7 days for about 3 1\2 months straight. Some assistant managers open at 5am and don't leave until midnight. Upper management don't does not tell them to stay but instead tells them "I need this done, because of a event or holiday...ect". We are one of the highest volume stores.

Advice to Management

Supervisors/managers have lives outside HD. I have seen so many relationship break ups and divorces and affairs over my 7 year career because home depot is 90% part of their lives. Consider the work load and open more supervisor\management positions for higher volume stores. I know the store can afford it because at one point we had 2 store managers for a while.

"HD always treated me well!"

Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in San Carlos, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is opportunity to grow if you're a hard worker and management gets paid very good - I've seen the pay stubs. As long as you make sound decisions you'll do well in the job. I had a lot of autonomy, which was good for me, but certain people don't thrive with that kind of supervision. I've seen a lot of people get fired for being slackers because they thought no one was watching them. The thing is - someone is always watching you and your performance.

Cons

It's retail and you work nights, weekend and holidays. Asset protection can be a dangerous job. I've been punched, grabbed, spit on, been hit in the head with a club, and have had a knife pulled on me. This was over a four year period and didn't happen all the time, but these incidents make you re-evaluate your priories in life. Other than that I had a great time working there.

Advice to Management

I had a good management team when I worked there. I wish I got paid more, but I don't think management at the store level had too much control on an employee's wage.

The Home Depot Response

May 8, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

"It was great except for when new management arrived to the store."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Carlos, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot and get to work with a lot of great people. You get to learn a bunch of different systems and about a lot of different products. Moving departments is fairly easy or used to be at least. Supervisors will teach you a lot if you ask them, they're the ones who teach you the most.

Cons

You sometimes don't get your two 15 minute breaks and go over your 5th hour for lunch. Management is honestly not the best, there are a few exceptions but they get over ruled. You can work hard but if you don't kiss up to management you won't get acknowledged. You'll sometimes have issues and talk to management about it and they'll kinda blow it off like they don't want to deal with stuff. They don't care for their values or their people, I witnessed how management would ignore issues that associates where having and sometimes even customers. their scheduling is horrible, your schedule will get changed half way through the week without notice.

Advice to Management

Favoritism has to stop, this store has lost a lot of great associates and supervisors because they're not being acknowledged for their hard work. Take care of your people, it's written in your values which you clearly don't care about. Answer when you're paged, specially if your gonna set rules like "you're not to leave the desk if there's no coverage even if you have a line, call management" and then not answer any of your phones or pages.

Showing 4 of 15,904 reviews